OT: Who Has Ruger 77/22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Who Has Ruger 77/22

Post by 3leggedturtle »

How do you like it. Is the barrel easily switched like the 10/22 and does it use the same clips as the 10/22? What are its good and bad points.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Who Has Ruger 77/22

Post by Rusty »

If you go to rimfirecentral.com you'll find a lot about them there. Not only does the barrel attach in the same manner, with a little modification a 10/22 barrel can be used. Meaning the cheaper 10/22 aftermarket barrels will work.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There are only two negatives, or bad points.

1) It's not a levergun. :mrgreen:

2) You don't own one yet. :P :P

Shooter973
Levergunner

Post by Shooter973 »

I have 3 of these fine rifles in different configurations and every one is a great rifle. :D
Yes you can use 10/22 mags in them they just don't fit the stocks perfectly. Function fine but stick out just a tad. :)
They are very good shooters right out of the box and are sized like a real rifle not down sized, lie a 10/22 feels like. :)
They are a tad expensive to purchase but you do get what you pay for. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My fancy stainless/synthetic one has a peep that fit into ruger scope base cuts, and is my 'rain' gun, and the wood (I enlarged the factory stock channel) stock blued one with Green Mountain bull barrel is really accurate; I want to try it with subsonics this summer out to longer ranges because I heard they stay more accurate past 100 yards even though they drop more due to slower velocity. Should be fun.

Magazines all interchange between 10/22, 77/22, and the LEVER one - 96/22, and 50-round Ramlines WILL function in all three guns - kind of funny looking on a lever, but a blast to rip off 50 fast levergun .22 LR's.

Barrels come close to interchanging, but there ARE good barrels available for all three versions aftermarket.

There is a floorplate of sorts on the wooden stocked model I have, so I'm not sure you could switch synthetic and wood stocks back and forth; never tried. Maybe just different vintages, I don't know...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i have the 77/22 in .22WMR and did a barrel change to a voltquartsen .17HMR with no problems...very, very accurate...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have one of the first ones with the plastic buttplate. I got when I was fifteen and it is the only rimfire rifle I have ever owned. Matter of fact I killed a couple of tree-eating beavers today with it. It is very accurate with several loads. Drawbacks are a heavy trigger pull for the weight of the gun, and a muzzle-light balance. I installed a Dayton-Traister trigger a few years back. That trigger was $40 well spent.

Like everyone else said, 10/22 mags work but protrude very slightly. I never removed the barrel, but it has a V-block clamp like the auto.
HORACE
Levergunner

Post by HORACE »

I have one in 22 Hornet, it is a grey stainless/laminated model. At first I didn't think it would shoot well, but after some experimenting with different handloads, I discovered it can shoot far more accururately than I can. My wife loves to shoot it at the range.
Horace
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I have one that dates from the earliest production and came with the open sights standard. I have never done anything to it except add a scope and shoot it. It is very accurate as the varmint families who are missing relatives can tell you. Taught my son to shoot with it more than 20 years ago. Because it is a full sized rifle the transition to larger calibers was easy. Nice gun. Glad I have it.
Last edited by Meeteetse on Mon May 18, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

My dad bought me one when I was thirteen. At the time I thought it was the most beautiful gun I had ever seen. It has well over 10,000 rounds through it now, and is still one of my favorite guns to shoot.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting