Old Lyman 66A work for Marlin?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Old Lyman 66A work for Marlin?

Post by TNBigBore »

I found a nice old, all steel Lyman 66A receiver sight. I know it is designated for a Winchester 1894. Will it work for an older Marlin 336 or 1895? I know the screw hole spacing is identical between the two and it can be mounted on a Marlin, but will it work as well as the 66LA designed for the Marlin? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks,
TBB
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Old Lyman 66A work for Marlin?

Post by J Miller »

TNBigBore wrote:I found a nice old, all steel Lyman 66A receiver sight. I know it is designated for a Winchester 1894. Will it work for an older Marlin 336 or 1895? I know the screw hole spacing is identical between the two and it can be mounted on a Marlin, but will it work as well as the 66LA designed for the Marlin? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks,
TBB
TBB,

The Lyman 66A has an angled area at the top of the base that mates to the angled top edge of the Winchesters receiver. The Marlins don't have this angle at the top edge of the receiver, so I believe the 66A won't fit quite right. I have both here at the house and the 66LA has a much less pronounced angle at the top.

Just for note, Williams simply has a flat mounting base that works on both.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Thanks Joe, that is sort of what I was thinking. Since I just found a nice old Williams FP as well, I may end up selling the old Lyman. I don't have any Winchesters sitting around in need of a sight at the moment.

Thanks,
Neal
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Neal,

You have a PM.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

PM back at you.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Problem solved. The sight is going to a new home atop a Winchester 94 that it was designed for.