may i make a new england shoot gun to a sd with a cutdown to

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

may i make a new england shoot gun to a sd with a cutdown to

Post by JNG »

can i cut down a new england to 18.5 and make it a legal shelf defenses shootgun..
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: may i make a new england shoot gun to a sd with a cutdown to

Post by JerryB »

I think 18 inches is legal so most folks do use 18 1/2 to be safe.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It will handle just as well at 20" and there will be NO problem.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As stated 18" is the legal short length of a shotgun bbl. and most folks leave a little extra so there's no quabbling over a fraction of an inch. The overall length has to be a least 26" and again most leave it a little long.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think NY has a 20" limit. I did 20" on the PCS gun to be sure I could take it anywhere!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I kept mine at 21" and it is plenty compact. Because of the action type, the barrel is already set back a good 4-5". I think the 20" suggestion is a good one. For a little more, you can get some screw in chokes installed.
Last edited by C. Cash on Sat May 09, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

As was stated minimum 18" barrel and 26" overall are required for Federal Firearms law. You state may have different laws.

I can tell you from personal experience that I have one cut to 18.5" and I wish I hadn't. You need a longer barrel than 18" to get the action to open easily without flipping it open. I think somewhere between 22-24" would be best.

Unless you want to trade barrels?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While the Federally-mandated minimum is 18", you had best check your state's regulations, since some states specify a longer barrel length as minimum (as previously posted).

I've made several inexpensive HD guns over the years for my friends - alley-cleaners if you will - from cheap (under $50) & rusty, but operable 12ga single shots of indeterminate heritage by chopping the barrel to 18 1/4", and the stock off just behind the pistol grip to an OAL of 27", then running a strip of 1/2" wide bright white medical adhesive tape down the entire length of the barrel top as a night sight. :mrgreen:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My primary home residence is on the Pa/Ny border.(in PA)
I also have land in NY and somtimes carry my Legal shortened shotgun.
Because I cant take my pistols in NY(But can pay a heck of a lot
of taxes though on my summer home and land)If one of us ever
is attacked and injured because I CANT have my pistol I will
probably sue NYS.--getting off on a tangent I know--anyway:

I contacted Albany NYS DEC and they said 18" min 26" overall.
Note: if you have an outside choke and you are counting that
in your accumulation of inches, the choke must be permanently welded to become a permanent part of the barrel.
I also double checked with NYS police in Vestal,NY, and Horseheads, NY and they also stated 18" barrel/26" overall.

Hobies idea is a good one to just add 2 extra inches,play it safe.
But mine is 18.5 inches/I cut the butstock so its 26.5 overall.
also did a camo paint job on it.

Also I checked because on my NYS property because of surronding neighbors always feeding the turkeys, they run all over the place like chickens.When you drive up the driveway you litterly have to be
careful not to run over them.(but I do deer hunt there and pay $110 for this but pay all those taxes on my own land?????)
So I dont even hunt turkeys now because of that being no sport.I also questioned if during that time I patrol my own land without
a turkey permit carrying my HBAR for protection(wearing some color
orange of course)is that legal? The answer was YES you can.
Also you can Go to NYS DEC---example go to Hunting
then look definition of guns---Shotgun 18"/26" Rifle--barrel at least 16"
DO NOT take a stupid chance and go below that.
You would be breaking a Federal Sawed Off Shotgun LAW--big time trouble
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat May 09, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I've done two of em. After calling NYS BCI and BATF to assure I was legal. Cut to 18 1/8", 26 1/8 overall (pistol grip) Used the original stock, filling the stock bolt hole with a plug, sanding it in...

One is a .410 we used for a camp gun years ago, before I had my NYS pistol permit. The other was a 20ga, which I also put a sling on, as the forend had a nasty habit of popping out of the hand upon firing. With the sling, you wedged the front hand so things stayed together ;) I sold that one to a barkeep who has it hanging under the bar.....

Yes, the feds take a dim view of chopping em any shorter. There was a nasty episode known as Ruby Ridge that started out because a feller was willing to chop some shotguns for a feller who turned out to be a Fed. Ya get to eat spaghetti with a spoon for a long time.....
Certified gun nut
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

cool, 8)

Mine is a 20ga I shoot the Win supreme partions(260gr@1750fps)
out of it.I hold it and shoot it one handed like my 454 casull. :o
Its really not that bad but it does jump a little.
Also I have a pistol grip for my ithaca M37 w/18.5" barrel
12ga. and shoot the 12ga. Win supremes(385gr@1750)two hands on the pistol grip and that baby jumpes a little too.those velocities count for fps barrel loss.
I am good size, 6 foot 4" @245 and weight lift quite a bit
so maybe that helps a little????????? :?:
see ya
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JNG,
See(F) in regards to Ohios gun stature::
appears same as Federals !!!
Go a little extra,20" is good ---Be safe friend!!!!

Ohio Revised Code» TITLE [29] XXIX CRIMES -- PROCEDURE» CHAPTER 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY
2923.11 Weapons control definitions.
As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:

(A) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.

(B)(1) “Firearm” means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. “Firearm” includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.

(2) When determining whether a firearm is capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant, the trier of fact may rely upon circumstantial evidence, including, but not limited to, the representations and actions of the individual exercising control over the firearm.

(C) “Handgun” means any of the following:

(1) Any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

(2) Any combination of parts from which a firearm of a type described in division (C)(1) of this section can be assembled.

(D) “Semi-automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a single cartridge and automatically chamber a succeeding cartridge ready to fire, with a single function of the trigger.

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

(F) “Sawed-off firearm” means a shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen inches long, or a rifle with a barrel less than sixteen inches long, or a shotgun or rifle less than twenty-six inches long overall.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JNG,
One more thing,
the reason I took mine close to min limit
is that because we are at my other place
a lot I wanted the very smallest powerful
Legal gun I could have because it would
be with us a lot.example when my wife or
daughter hikes in the woods on their workouts
I insist they take it!
We have some big bear 600lbs+ and who knows
if you also run into someone with bad intent.
they have bear spray too.
Its not so much myself but more I worry for them.
So I wanted it as light/short as possible but still do a job.
If they allowed my wifes or my Pa pistol permit,only my
daughter would be carrying the 20ga.
We need a Federal allowed Pistol Permit.
Makes me so mad I could spit!!
Speaking of that,gotta grab the 20ga and go, were
now headed up there.(w/3-- slugs and 3-- 00 buckers)
in their little fanny pack.Thank God its very close.
See ya!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

HOBIE,

Who put the vari-choke on your shotgun? I love that. I had a bolt action mossberg with one as my first firearm in 20 gauge and I would love to do that to a 12 gauge.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

My copy of the 2A simply doesn't show all those regulations, codes and rules that you guys are citing. I've been gypped. :o
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I have had a shortened H&R 12 ga. since my mispent youth in the Marines, 18"/26". It is a handful to shoot. Gloves are a must.

Don