Not a bad day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Not a bad day

Post by jnyork »

Cold and windy this morning, no trip to the range, so we took a ride 75 miles north to the tiny mountain town of Dubois, WY for lunch. Saw quite a few antelope, lots of deer in the meadows along the Wind River and a herd of 14 bighorn sheep (all ewes) along side the road in the Red Rocks area. Thought I might hit a couple of gunshops there but no joy, one was not yet open for the summer and the other one I couldn't find, I think it must have been turned into a "books, tea and scented candles" shop. Dubois, an old cowtown and timber area, has in recent years become overrun with money people, "5 acres and a trophy house" types. It has always had its share of tourists, but is now much more attuned to the artsyfartsy crowd. There are, however, still some working ranches and some of the Old West remaining, for instance:

As we sat in the little mom-and-pop joint called the Cowboy Cafe having lunch, in walked a young woman who sat at a table next to us. Her worn and muddy Levi's were tucked into an equally worn and muddy pair of riding boots. She had on a long pair of chaps and the usual rodeo buckle, topped by a Filson coat, lined vest and what appeared to be a Pendleton shirt. Bright red silk neckerchief and the requisite Coors cap completed the ensemble. Her outfit did not raise one eyebrown in the place, and I couldn't help but think how perfectly she fit the place and time. Also got to thinking how lucky I am to feel more comfortable in such a setting than in a sophisticated city somewhere.

Re: Not a bad day

Post by iceman »

Souns like my kind of place. Sounds like you had a better day than me by a long shot.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Idid, and sorry to hear about your job. I lost a job the same way about 27 years ago , really got me down and depressed for a while, but turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me jobwise, I relocated and started over and things panned out much better than they would have otherwise. Keep the chin up.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Gosh, that's wonderful land around there. Last summer I rode my scoot to Ohio and back to Tacoma, and wanted to go thru there, but (this was second week of Sept) as soon as I hit 25 north out of Casper, all I could see was snow over that way (and it was dang cold on 25, on a scoot anyway). Anyway, maybe next time......I'm old as heck and have still not drove thru Yellowstone or environs...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Make time for it Blaine. Yellowstone area is just beautiful. There's still places you can look out over and imagine no other people around.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Yeah, better come on out, Blaine, time's a'wasting. :shock:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:Yeah, better come on out, Blaine, time's a'wasting. :shock:
I'm hoping to ride to Ohio again this summer....If I cut my Ohio time to three days, I can take a couple days on the way back to Lollygag and LookyLoo....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I lived and worked in Afton for about four months back in the 80's and it was beautiful. I worked for a Canadian heli-portable seismic company. I was the fleet mechanic but the guys working on the compressor motors, Ford 460's, couldn't get'em to run at the elevation. I had to go out and jet'em back. I stood on some mountains that I swear if someone other than myself had stood there I would of been amazed. Maybe natives. It was just breathtaking. Lived above a bar right on mainstreet. I was about 10 feet from the antler arch.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

BlaineG wrote:
I'm hoping to ride to Ohio again this summer....If I cut my Ohio time to three days, I can take a couple days on the way back to Lollygag and LookyLoo....
Where ya going in OH? If you are passing Ft Wayne we will have to meet up for coffee.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JReed wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Where ya going in OH? If you are passing Ft Wayne we will have to meet up for coffee.
Last summer I was dodging tornadoes and t-storms...mostly stayed north and dropped down to Indy......Might come thru on 70 all the way if I can this time.......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Virtually all the neat towns from 30-40 years ago have gone to H--l in Wyoming. Always loved Dubois but, like you say, candles and high class post cards now. I thought about buying some land there 30+ years ago but glad I didn't, the taxes would be eating me alive. Pinedale has gone to the dogs also. Not only for the same reasons as Dubois but also the overthrust belt. Try to get a motel room there. Better bring a tent and camp out. While I'm at it, always preferred seeing haystacks while pulling into Jackson instead of suburbia. OK, I'm done now. Time for a toddy :cry:
El Guapo
Levergunner

Post by El Guapo »

Only an old Wyoming hand could see the logic of driving 75 miles for a burger and fries. This is a fact that east and west coast people can't understand, what with a town every 5-10 miles. Yesterday I made a 250 mile roundtrip to the V.A. hospital in Cheyenne and didn't think that was unusual. Great facility and topnotch care, by the way.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

As we sat in the little mom-and-pop joint called the Cowboy Cafe
sounds nice, but you'll know it's time to get out when they start posting their menu out front on a black chalkboard in colored chalk.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."