how to take old stain off stock?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

how to take old stain off stock?

Post by rangerider7 »

I have a Winchester SRC that someone has put a heavy stain over the original finish. What is the best way, or is there, to remove this coating and leave as much of the original finish as possible? :x
"That'll Be The Day"
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

In a not obvious place, experiment to find a substance that will cut the stain and leave the finish...Using a q-tip, try alcohol, water, or naptha. Sometimes deionized water will remove stuff with a lot of elbow grease.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

It depends on the finish. Some finishes must be scraped off, or ate away with a paste style paint remover.
You may be able to save the original finish, but maybe not. Definately follow octogon's advice.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Stain soaks into the wood, and the only way to remove it is to sand off the top layer of wood. This is probably what the original finish is - stain only.

I have had good luck with the paste-style paint remover on guitars and such, it bleaches the wood a little but doesn't remove any wood, and the thick lacquer varnish scrapes right off.

Don't try this without testing, but I saw a hot gun paint remover at Wal Mart that heats up paint so it flakes off. That may work without changing the color of the original stain.

You can always re-stain it if you don't like the color you get after removing the varnish.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

1) Paint remover and steel wool, 2-3 times, follow directions (also be sure to wear gloves and eye protection)

2) 120, 220, 400 grit sandpaper