I wonder how rare Ruger #3s in .375 Win are?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

I wonder how rare Ruger #3s in .375 Win are?

Post by ScottT »

Found one today in great shape for $600, but that seems a bit high for me.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Don't know how rare they are, and that sounds a bit rich for me, also. At the same time, if I had the $$$ I would get it. But that is the way I am.
Maybe thats why all I can do is add my 2 cents!
PPpastordon
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't know how many they made, but I've never run across one. That price doesn't seem too bad to me either.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A pristine or NIB #3, in any caliber other than .45-70, is worth every cent of $750, with some caibers going for well over that.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I'd definitely snap it up if it appealed to me. They're only going up as collectors acquire more and more of them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That and the .30-40 are the only two chamberings for which the #3 was really suited as configured by the factory. I don't think $600 is out of line.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Its been years since I've seen one for sale, in any chambering. The 30-40 Krag had the strongest appeal for me, followed closely by the .375 Win.

I just bought a Win 94 BB in 375 for just a little more than that. It had been some time since I saw one of those either. But not as long as a Ruger #3.

If you really want it, better buy it. It may be a long time before you see another.

The Ruger #3 isn't as classic as a Shiloh Sharps (yet), but it sure carries easier. I bet it would be fun with black powder 38-55 duplication loads.

I intend to do just that with the Win 94 Big Bore. Hope the faster rifling twist doesn't foul thing up too much (literally).

Good luck either way. I'm sure you know in your heart whether you really want another rifle.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I've always been of the opinion that the #3 stock is of a poor design for a cartridge of that magnitude. If I had one, it'd turn into a great little .38-55 carbine. :D

That being said, there was one that sat at McBride's in Austin for awhile and I was still tempted every time I saw it. :?

scott
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Scott, it seems kinda high to me as well. I paid $625 for my #1 new, a few years ago. Mine is in .308. I love the #1 I'm thinking that the only mistake I might have made was not getting it in .45-70. I could do that as well I guess. I think the stock geometry is a little different on the #1 so it will handle more recoil, like the .458, and the .416.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have never run across one - seems like it would be a great combo.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

IIRC the .375 WCF came out in '79, the same year that the #3 was discontinued, so actual production was about a years worth. Whatever that amounted to.