OT TV guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

OT TV guns

Post by Gun Smith »

I get frustrated at the misinformation and use of guns on TV. I think TV producers could afford to hire some form of expert to act as technical consultant. I guess we'll just see more of the same though. Last night I watched the dead pan blonde "gun expert" on CSI test a pistol. In the shot you can see the threads in the barrel that are used to screw fake "silencers" into it. CSI seems to make a lot of technical errors of all kinds for a show that is supposed to be about forensic science. I do have to admit that a couple of films I've watched, mostly westerns, were quite correct in their use and abilities of old weapons. Open Range comes to mind. It was quite well done except the scene where Boss blows a cowpoke against a wall with his scattergun, leaving two football sized holes in the building wall he shot through, not!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I watched Open Range with my son again last week and the one thing I noticed was how much lead those guys were soaking up while they kept going. I don't know what Costner was using maybe a .38-40 or something.

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything on the weekly one hour shows. I still remember the episode of McCloud when his boss warned him about the faulty safety on his revolver. Oh Boy!

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

They count on 97% of the public being ignorant about the basic functioning, capabilities, and history of firearms. Or, maybe 65%, with another 20-30% simply not caring.

I unconsciously count shots as soon as I hear them from any source. Old habit. Drives my wife nuts when I say "the firearm can't do that", or "that gun hadn't been invented yet", or "no handgun is that powerful".

Yes, I'm a spoil-sport! :wink:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I especially like the Westerns that try to be more authentic, where they use black powder percussion cap revolvers, like the Colt Walker (and not the conversion era ones).

When our hero has to reload, he opens the back of the cylinder gate - or even swings the cylinder out on its crane!

I suspect that you could freeze the frame and read something like "blank" on the cartridge headstamp!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ha ha..
I love counting shots from "sixguns" where 10 or more ring out and nobody reloads.

CSI is another moron-catered program, meant to spoon-feed high drama to the witless.

There's a whole string of them, cop murder investigation crud fests.
The worst one is The Closer.

Kira Sedgwick looks like a skeleton with a sassy southern drawl and "street smarts". LAME.

Makes me sick.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

although not a western or a levergun; the worst movie gun screw up i ever saw was in the movie 'hamburger hill' when the GI's were attacked at the river bridge Sgt. Frantz had the mag of his m-16 seated in the mag well upside down and backwards (yes.. the curve of the mag was facing the trigger and you could see the spring plunger). now that was funny.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I still laugh at the episode of C.S.I. where they poured wax into a stab wound, and pulled out an exact cast of the knife used to murder the guy!

Goofy.

Or in Tombstone, where Val Kilmer shoots what sounds to me like a full auto 20 shot SAA!

I remember a local news report where the anchor said somthing to the effect , " Three hundred and fifty seven semi auto handguns..." I can't remember the exact phrase, but the emphasis is on "handgunS".
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I watch CSI, but sometimes the goofs can be hilarious. Like when somebody was killed with a blank and when she measured the card wad, it was three hundred fifty seven thousandths in circumference, so that made it a 38 :shock: . She needs to take 5 grade math again
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Used the old circumference mic to measure it? That would have been a .011 cal wad IINM. :wink:
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT TV guns

Post by Slick13 »

The constant wracking of pump or lever actions for effect irritates me. Cowboys opening up the action of their six shooter before a gun fight, spinning the cylinder, "Yup, it's loaded", then closing it back up ready to fight irritates me.

Actually the hole in the wall from Boss's shotgun in Open Range is about what I would expect from 00 buck at close range. The guy being shot wouldn't fly five feet through the air though! :lol:

~Michael
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Slick13 wrote:The constant wracking of pump or lever actions for effect irritates me. Cowboys opening up the action of their six shooter before a gun fight, spinning the cylinder, "Yup, it's loaded", then closing it back up ready to fight irritates me.

Actually the hole in the wall from Boss's shotgun in Open Range is about what I would expect from 00 buck at close range. The guy being shot wouldn't fly five feet through the air though! :lol:

~Michael
+1 The pistol checking thing drives me nuts too. If you don't even know if your pistol is loaded, then you probably shouldn't be there. Yep..those little brassy things are in there when you spin the cylinder at light speed but are there little craters in the primers? Drives me nuts also when someone swings out a cylinder on a DA and spins it and it makes the clicking sound.
Last edited by C. Cash on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Slick13 wrote:The guy being shot wouldn't fly five feet through the air though! :lol:
~Michael

Myth Busters shot their dummy with a 50BMG and it traveled about 1" backwards. They achieved about the same effect with a 12ga slug.

Yep, I get frustrated too at stupid people that don't know how many shots a 6-shot gun has. :?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

My wife got so sick of me saying what can't happen that now she pre-empts me.

After someone uses a firearm on TV she will look at me and say "lemme guess, that can't happen right?"

I kinda get mad when they oversensationalize firearms to "scare" the public.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You missed the point of the blonde gun expert. You're supposed to look at the "blonde" not the guns. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Jeeps wrote: I kinda get mad when they oversensationalize firearms to "scare" the public.
I get mad when they (TV and Hollywood) make millions of dollars on programs and movies with heroes using firearms, but TV and movie stars for the most part are anti gun. They have no problem making money off of them, but they don't want us to have them. How do they rationalize that?

~Michael
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Roy Rogers did the same thing, pair of 20-shot revolvers.

Post by Tumbleweeds »

Then he shot the gun out of the bad guy's hand and laid him out with straight rights and lefts.

I loved those movies, and the TV series, but I did count the shots.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Ysabel Kid wrote:They count on 97% of the public being ignorant about the basic functioning, capabilities, and history of firearms. Or, maybe 65%, with another 20-30% simply not caring.

I unconsciously count shots as soon as I hear them from any source. Old habit. Drives my wife nuts when I say "the firearm can't do that", or "that gun hadn't been invented yet", or "no handgun is that powerful".

Yes, I'm a spoil-sport! :wink:
Yep.....I do the same thing....
This Christmas we were watching a John Wayne Flick..Rio Lobo
and Grammy was testing my gun knowledge....
next thing ya know eveyone was fondling my winchesters..
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

thought i was the only one
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Gun noises! I just get irritated when they turn a cylinder on a revolver that has a swing out cylinder, and it goes clicking away! I also hate hearing various loud clicks, or wrong type of clicks when hammers are cocked, or turned.
I try not to pay attention to details in movies, so I wont get distracted from a basically decent movie, but I just can't help myself. At least I've learned to not point it out to my wife, who said she doesn't want to hear it during the movie. :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
model55
Levergunner 3.0

tv guns

Post by model55 »

Besides the usual mistakes it always amuses me when the hero or villian throws away a gun because its empty or the wagon train is under attack and no one thinks to pick up weapons left behind from the attackers.Guess when those twenty shot six guns do run out you throw them away!I doubt you ever left anything behind if you could help in that time period but we are talking hollyweird.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, here's show that probably has all sorts of gun goofs, but it has everything from leverguns to lasers. Firefly. Gina Torres (smoking hot) carries a cut down levergun a la "Wanted Dead or Alive".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

tv movies

Post by brucew44guns »

I love it when a gun fight ends, the good guy shot 15 or 20 shots, then he leaves the scene after he simply re-holsters his empty gun. Did he wonder at all that bad guys may still be lurking about, and he has no more shots in his Colt?
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I allways wanted me one of them 30 shooters! :D