.22LR 200 yard shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

.22LR 200 yard shooting

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Who here shoots there 22 at 200 yards. My 39M shoots 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. Could not find my groups at 200. Didnt have enough paper to cover area out there. So how much does a 40gr RN 22 bullet drop going from 100 to 200 yards?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bear 45/70

Re: .22LR 200 yard shooting

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I think the farthest we have shot 22s is 140 to 150 yards. Mainly because we don't normally have a range 200 yards long. But we do the 100 yard thing every time out.
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

Don't know the exact drop, but between 20 and 28 inches should put you on paper.
Bob Nisbet
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I know that there is a 5" drop at 100 yards with the Federal ammo I use.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

RANisbet wrote:Don't know the exact drop, but between 20 and 28 inches should put you on paper.
Bob Nisbet

That sounds about right.
When I had my little farm I used to take pot shots at crows and woodchucks at 2-300 yds with my .22 martini. I'd aim about 2' over and about 1' into the wind @200 an bag 'em. Was always impressed at the performance of the .22lr at those ranges.

When I really wanted to tag something I used my Sako / .222 rem out to about 400 yds. Beyond that the M14 came out.

I sure miss that place!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

150 yards is the longest range I've got. I should shoot the .22s more...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

26" with my Winchester Super X Power Point .40gr HP ammo. I had a Ruger 10/22T with the heavy stainless steel barrell and had a Basch & Laumb (sp?) 6 x 14 x 44 AO scope on it and was good for ground squirrels out to 200 yards with about a 26" hold over. And then of course you have to hold off for wind. Oh a really calm day I was good to go out to 250 yards for the little critters.

We have guys out at our range that are into some newfangled NRA Long Distance .22 LR Shooting Matches. They shoot at 200 yards and most of them use heavy barreled, single shot, rifles.
ED
Yer never too old
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

3leggedturtle: I have not shot 200 yds w/ a .22 LR, but several years ago I knew 2-3 enthusiastic .22 Shooters who did.

If I recall, they first made 48" X 48" target backers to get rounds on the paper & made sight corrections from there. & I do believe that they shot w/ 'scopes. One Shooter did utilize iron sights, but I think he had a lower front sight as his rear sight would allow enough elevation for a .22 @ 200 yds. I can't recall if he had a rear barrel sight or a receiver sight.

Once on paper, their biggest bug-a-boo was the wind, esp. w/ some of the low velocity target rounds. & of course some of the high velocity ammunition was not that accurate @ 200yds.

& it seems to me that on days when there was too much of "breeze" --as they called it -- blowing for 200 yds., they would try .22 Shorts @ 75 or 100 yds.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Come up 18-22 minutes from your 100 meter zero, will be close, depends on your ammo , the wind, your scope and about 150 other factors. :lol:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have to put about 35+ minutes of elevation with the soule sight I have mounted on my Winchester lowall to reach to 270 yds. Most ammo will surprisingly hold about an 8 inch or smaller group at that distance.
Windage at that distance is another wildly changing variable. :o
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jnyork wrote:Come up 18-22 minutes from your 100 meter zero, will be close, depends on your ammo , the wind, your scope and about 150 other factors. :lol:

20 minutes IIRC is what I had to do using Match (standard velocity) ammo. You'd be surprised how much it drops from 100yds to just 100 m.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there 3leggedturtle --

You got me curious again! Dug the Anschutz with the Super Target Spot out of the safe and thought I’d see what it be…

This last picture is what the target frame looks like at 200 yards. It is 24” wide and about 48” tall. The point of aim is a 3” x 3” Post-It with a 1” Shoot-N-C dot on it.

Put one shot on the dot at 50 yards as an indexing shot. Managed to get lucky and hit it with this rig!!

Put four shots in it’s general direction at 200 yards. One hit on paper. It’s accented with the blue arrow. The other three passed through the gap between the cardboard and frame base. There were no holes in the frame base and no scuffs in the dirt in front of the target frame.

Looks like about four feet of drop with these standard velocity bullets.

Hope this helps. Always looking for an excuse to pull a trigger… Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ray Newman wrote: ...of course some of the high velocity ammunition was not that accurate @ 200yds.
Is that because the supersonics start to tumble around 100 yards as they go subsonic, vs. the subsonics not having that transition?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Wind wrote:This last picture is what the target frame looks like at 200 yards. It is 24” wide and about 48” tall. The point of aim is a 3” x 3” Post-It with a 1” Shoot-N-C dot on it.
There's a target out there? :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I know where to hold with my rifle for long distances, but not the actual data. My Henry H001 will keep 'em in a gopher hole easy, out to 200 yards, maybe more.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

It has been almost a year since my shooting buddy Rolf passed away. A 6'10" lawyer! When he was still with us, we would regularly pick up a pizza, grab the rifles and go to the range with a thin sheeet metal gong of 12" diameter and set it up at 200 yards after work. We would shoot offhand most of the time. As he would get more tired from the progressing cancer the newly approved Olympic shooting positions-OCOT & BCOT were used. One cheek on tailgate/both cheeks on tailgate. It is absolutely amazing how good you can get at it. After a short time he was ringing that gong 21/25 times. We would shoot until it was too dark to see. Enjoying the pizza and the cool evening air and a few rounds of .22 lr ammo in midweek while the others guys went to the golf club.

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hairy Clipper wrote:It has been almost a year since my shooting buddy Rolf passed away. A 6'10" lawyer! When he was still with us, we would regularly pick up a pizza, grab the rifles and go to the range with a thin sheeet metal gong of 12" diameter and set it up at 200 yards after work. We would shoot offhand most of the time. As he would get more tired from the progressing cancer the newly approved Olympic shooting positions-OCOT & BCOT were used. One cheek on tailgate/both cheeks on tailgate. It is absolutely amazing how good you can get at it. After a short time he was ringing that gong 21/25 times. We would shoot until it was too dark to see. Enjoying the pizza and the cool evening air and a few rounds of .22 lr ammo in midweek while the others guys went to the golf club.

Hairy
That sounds like an awful nice way to remember a friend.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
bhk
Levergunner

Post by bhk »

Formal competition with .22s at 200 yards used to be a very common event in the early part of the last century, including matches at Camp Perry. I have a wonderful old book printed in 1927 and written by E.C. Crossman that goes into great detail. This book, Small Bore Rifle Shooting, discusses target rifles, ammo, targets, sights, and ballistics. At this time, the shooters were just experimenting with smokeless powder for target shooting and found its accuracy to be a little suspect. They prefered 'Lesmoke,' a mixture of smokeless and black that was commonly loaded in the target ammo of the day.

Anyway, a detailed ballistic chart in the book shows the following trajectory for a gun SIGHTED IN at 200 yards:

50 yards: 18" High
100 yards: 25" High (trajectory peak)
150 yards: 19.5" high
200 yards: Zero

This was for ammo that we, today, would consider of target velocity (about 1040 - 1050 fps)

They also have a photo of a 3.3 inch 200 yard group shot from a machine rest. Winchester and Stevens, Savage (Model 1919 NRA model) bolt actions were beginning to dominate the game, but many shooters were shooting Winchester High Walls, Martinis, Stevens falling blocks, etc. Aperture sights ruled.

I inherited this book from my grandfather in the fifties when I was a kid. I have have read it cover to cover about 101 thousand times.
Last edited by bhk on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I once saw a guy kill a prairie dog at 250 paces with a .22 LR. I have to say I really didn't think a .22 LR would do it at that distance. Kill the pd, I mean. I don't remember which .22 load it was, sad to say.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

I ran 22 IHMSA pistol matches a Glendale Shooting Club St Louis. Mo for a time in the 1980s.
I once set the extra targets on the big bore range out to 200 meters. There were lots of complaints about that being to fare away. I said it was an old sport they used to shoot standing. At the time I could hit an average seven of ten rams at 200 meters.
Laying on my back using the side of my leg as a brace I need 56 clicks elevation from my 100 yard setting on the Bomar sights. A spotter could see the shadow of the bullet base as it passed over or under the target.
Everyone that tried had a great time an got some hits on the rams. The were some great shooters in that sport. Not a windy day sport with the 22 though.
John
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Amazon says "The Handbook on Small Bore Rifle Shhooting" is still available.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Small-Bo ... 1432595628

bhk wrote:Formal competition with .22s at 200 yards used to be a very common event in the early part of the last century, including matches at Camp Perry. I have a wonderful old book printed in 1927 and written by E.C. Crossman that goes into great detail. This book, Small Bore Rifle Shooting, discusses target rifles, ammo, targets, sights, and ballistics. At this time, the shooters were just experimenting with smokeless powder for target shooting and found its accuracy to be a little suspect. They prefered 'Lesmoke,' a mixture of smokeless and black that was commonly loaded in the target ammo of the day.

Anyway, a detailed ballistic chart in the book shows the following trajectory for a gun SIGHTED IN at 200 yards:

50 yards: 18" High
100 yards: 25" High (trajectory peak)
150 yards: 19.5" high
200 yards: Zero

This was for ammo that we, today, would consider of target velocity (about 1040 - 1050 fps)

They also have a photo of a 3.3 inch 200 yard group shot from a machine rest. Winchester and Stevens, Savage (Model 1919 NRA model) bolt actions were beginning to dominate the game, but many shooters were shooting Winchester High Walls, Martinis, Stevens falling blocks, etc. Aperture sights ruled.

I inherited this book from my grandfather in the fifties when I was a kid. I have have read it cover to cover about 101 thousand times.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I do remember a few years ago at the SHOT show I was looking around at some French gun maker's wares. I can't remember the name of them now, but one of the things they had was a semi automatic .22 auto that was kind of a James Bond affair. It came in a small carrying case. when opened the barrel and receiver were already together but the pistol grip stock had to be attached along with everything else. The rear sight was a tangent looking affair that was adjustable out to 200 yards IIRC. The rep was standing there close by watching me in case I had any questions. I remarked that I thought 200 yards was a little optimistic for a .22. He just smiled and said well you might be surprised.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I saw something like that French .22 a couple decades ago and wished I'd had the cash-ola to buy it.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bear 45/70 wrote:Amazon says "The Handbook on Small Bore Rifle Shhooting" is still available.

The book in your link is a good one Bear but it is not the one that "bhk" was referencing. The one "bhk" referenced was written by "E.C. Crossman". The one you referenced was written by "Townsend Whelen".

Here is the link to the book that "bhk" referenced.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Bore-Rifle- ... 226&sr=1-6
ED
Yer never too old
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:I saw something like that French .22 a couple decades ago and wished I'd had the cash-ola to buy it.
I believe you are referring to the Unique model L Carbine/Pistol Combination. I'd like to have one myself...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Modoc ED wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:Amazon says "The Handbook on Small Bore Rifle Shhooting" is still available.

The book in your link is a good one Bear but it is not the one that "bhk" was referencing. The one "bhk" referenced was written by "E.C. Crossman". The one you referenced was written by "Townsend Whelen".

Here is the link to the book that "bhk" referenced.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Bore-Rifle- ... 226&sr=1-6

Well, for $75 I will be passing on the hardcover.
bhk
Levergunner

Post by bhk »

My copy was given to my grandfather on April 4, 1929 by his mother. My copy has seen a LOT of wear. He was in in 20's at the time and very active in small-bore shooting at the Ludlow Fish and Game Club near Springfield, MA. A trophy he won shooting at that club in 1938 sits on my desk right now.

He built a beautiful Winchester Highwall target rifle for my mother when she was in high school for use on the school shooting team. It had a beaver-tail forearm, wonderfully checkered walnut stock, bull barrel, BSA venier tang rear sight, and Lyman front sight with interchangable inserts. I used this rifle when I was in 5th and 6th grade for earning my NRA marksmanship badges in 4-position small bore. I lost the rifle in a very stupid trade when I was in my early 20's.
ba_50
Levergunner

Post by ba_50 »

My CZ452A with a Super Sniper scope and Federal GM ammo put 10 shots into 4 1/2"@200 yards.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Rusty wrote:I do remember a few years ago at the SHOT show I was looking around at some French gun maker's wares. I can't remember the name of them now, but one of the things they had was a semi automatic .22 auto that was kind of a James Bond affair. It came in a small carrying case. when opened the barrel and receiver were already together but the pistol grip stock had to be attached along with everything else. The rear sight was a tangent looking affair that was adjustable out to 200 yards IIRC. The rep was standing there close by watching me in case I had any questions. I remarked that I thought 200 yards was a little optimistic for a .22. He just smiled and said well you might be surprised.
Good for the salesman for not belaboring the point; people who've already made their minds up can't be convinced of something they can't see, first hand/ Some STILL won't beleive things they have seen.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ba_50 wrote:My CZ452A with a Super Sniper scope and Federal GM ammo put 10 shots into 4 1/2"@200 yards.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Makes me want to mess around more with my .22's - is the "Federal GM" ammo one that starts out subsonic so it doesn't tumble when it crosses the speed of sound?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "