I want your opinion on a post i made elsewhere!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

I want your opinion on a post i made elsewhere!!!

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:05 pm Post subject: A bad idea
Last edited by JOHNNY WACKO on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I want your opinion on a post i made elsewhere!!!

Post by mescalero1 »

I will not agree with you as to the causation of the shortage, but I will agree with you as to the fear mongering that is taking place.I bought MUCHO primers during the primer scare, I am glad I did.
This too shall pass, and yes, this administration has too much to worry about right now.
We are low on the priority list, for now.
Prices will stabilize, in some form of new normal.
#What that will be remain to be discovered.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Back in 94 when the first ban took place, I could buy SKS ammo for pennies a round. Since then the price has gone thru the roof. Now with Obama in the WH, the price can only go up from here. Call it what you want, but I'm hoarding ammo/components because I know it will be more expensive in the future and some of it will definitely be harder to get. Thinking otherwise is fooling yourself.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Some of that 7.62X39 WAS REAL BAD STUFF.
prices have risen, but I think not disproportionally to other goods, supply & demand, basic economic evolution, all the free market cyclical events.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Over a year ago I started "accumulating" a supply of supplies of all kinds. As the election got closer I felt it was more and more clear that things COULD get much worse before they got better. In some ways, they have. We'll see. Still, I think it better to be prepared than to be unprepared.

BTW, in Jan 2008 I mentioned this and got a lot of pooh-poohing of my eccentricity.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I guess I am not as excited about it as others because I have been doing it for years.
It is manifesting itself in this move, I have to move all that stuff!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I here everyone saying there buying up as much as they can.We are causing the shortage!I read post were people say they bought every box on the shelf in posts.Wat about the next guy.
I guess you didn't hear about the problems the police depts were having getting a hold of ammo as well. When the problem starts reaching law enforcement, there's no possible way the civilian market is at fault.

There is a shortage, most of which is caused by military use and the factories inability to keep up with demand for all military/LEO/civilian use.

but we all are guilty of helping this thing grow into a monster.I don't want to make you mad but don't let these rich people scare you into there trap+give them more $$$ then they already have.
Now, in the civilian market, think of how many more new gun owners there are. I think over 1.3 million more background checks were processed in the last few months. People are going to be needing ammo for those weapons. So you're more than likely going to have a shortage in the civilian market regardless of anyone hoarding ammo. I doubt the ammo factories had prepared for that huge of an increase.

So, this "monster" would have occurred anyway due to demand. And those people that refuse to increase their supply will wish they had, and those that bought as much as they could afford will be glad they did.

Ammo will not decrease in price any time in the near future, and with all the talks of new legislation being passed, neither will the demand for it decrease.

This president has to much else to worry about to start out with us.
Don't fool yourself. He's just getting started.

Things work themselves out unless we panic and get are issue moved to the head of the line.In my 30 some years of gun ownerships Ive seen this rollacoaster go up+down 50 times and the only changes is in what we have to pay for are guns+ammo.

When's the last time you knew of gun and ammo prices going down? With the cost of metals going up because of emerging economies around the world and with increased operations costs (unions/medical insurance/higher taxes/etc...) for the corporations, I seriously doubt you'll see prices come down ever again. My guess is there will be significant increases in the next few years. The prices may start to level off some, but they will never be as cheap as they are today.

I don't call it "hoarding" or "panic buying"... I call it a smart investment.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

This has got nothing to do with rumor-mongering unless you want to add it to the pile of expected bans that the current administration is expected to try and foist upon the American People.

The shortages are being caused first by the rush of some to get what they think they'll need for doomsday, and two by the reflexive knee-jerk of others responding to the perceived "shortage".

Same thing happens with new toys at Christmas.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

My opinion, that and 2 dollars will get you a cup of coffee, is that in the near future the panic buying will end and prices will drop. I think alot of people who normally don't buy ammo or very little are stocking up. Soon these people will stop buying ammo and EBR's. They will set in the closet for awhile and then these people will start selling them for one reason or another. That and a decrease in military use and soon the ammo companys will be crying that no one is buying ammo, same for the makers of EBR's. Prices will come back down, maybe not as low as before, and alot of very little used EBR's will be on the market and several Black rifle makers will go out of business because they bought new equipment to stay up with demand and the demand will go away. They will be left with payments for new expensive equipment and won't have the money to make them. I believe this will have a huge impact on the shooting industry with so much surplus on the market. Again, this in just my opinion.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you call yourself JOHNNY WACKO don't ask to be taken seriously. When you solve that --- let's hear the next question.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

You dint look like a old savage either.I'm not attacking anyone personally.And expect the same back.
Happy easter to you+yours
JOHNNY WACKO
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You asked for a real opinion, I don't know you - just your public presentation. It is not a criticism of you.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

If someone ask for opinions and i dint have one to offer I polite say nothing at all+let others that do have there say.With that solved-lets hear the next question. Sounds rude when its put back to you dint it??? Thats my next Question to you SIR.
JOHNNY WACKO
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hey WACKO -

You started this thread off by saying:
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:05 pm Post subject: A unpopular post i made elsewhere
If your post was unpopular elsewhere, what made you think it would be popular here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want to stockpile/hoard ammo and reloading components fine but don't knock those of us that do.

When and if you run out of say, "small pistol primers", think of me and my XX,000 plus "small pistol primers".
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny,
You did ask for opinions, and OS gave you his... :oops: don't get all in a dither over it... Unless, like I usually say, if the shoe fits wear it. Those that react poorly to criticism, generally are deserving of same.

As to your original post query... I just don't know what to think. I'm too lazy to do the actual market research to determine if there IS a shortage, and when folks say they just bought x-thousands of primers, ergo all the guy had... I have to wonder... do they have a need for same, or just knee-jerkin'?

Myself, I bought several thousand primers of the two sizes I use the most a few years ago... it equated to several + years of anticipated usage. I don't really know just how many "+" years it equals. If presented with the oppportunity to buy a decades or two decades worth of primers for a reasonable price... would I? Probably not. Not because of any moral high ground... but I have some other priorities right now... among which is accumulating enough lead to make the primers I currently have useful!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Johnny, things are more uncertain than usual right now, with the economy, new Marxist regime in Washington, etc. As far as loading up on certain types of supplies, I say it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

peace
Last edited by JOHNNY WACKO on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOHNNY WACKO
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Don't let one reply to one post sour you on the whole forum. You got some good answers to your question. I, for one, have found your posts here to be solid contributions to the quality of this forum. :)
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

As requested
Last edited by Bear 45/70 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Johnny,
Don't let this get you down, OS's sense of humor exists on a parralel plane.
He really is a good old boy.
Seems we got off on the wrong track, let it lie for now, come back tommorow, things will look better.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

that one realy nice scope.im not hurt at all just misunderstood.lets just stop the story here and talk guns ??
JOHNNY WACKO
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Getting back on track, I guess I'm slacking because I've only bought a few hundred primers in the last several months. They have had pretty good availability at my local place throughout this nonsense. I do have a stock of several thousand various primers, and at the rate I'm able to use them lately, my current stock will last me through the current administration and hopefully things will get better after that, if not before.
NRA Life Member
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

[quote="Bear 45/70
I wasn't aware that the was a Constitutional Amendment protecting you from getting your feelings hurt. :roll:[/quote]

Typical. :roll:
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

thank you!
JOHNNY WACKO
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

claybob86 wrote:[quote="Bear 45/70
I wasn't aware that the was a Constitutional Amendment protecting you from getting your feelings hurt. :roll:
Typical. :roll:[/quote]

Typical that you are as inane as it gets. Please explain how what I said was incorrect?
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

tell me the story behind that gun+scope bid bear
JOHNNY WACKO
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I wasn't aware that the was a Constitutional Amendment protecting you from getting your feelings hurt. :roll:

Typical that you are as inane as it gets. Please explain how what I said was incorrect?[/quote]

The majority of your posts here that I've seen contain something that's calculated to insult someone. Look back at what you've written here and try to picture yourself on the receiving end. Would you like to be talked to like that? I doubt it. Try to remember this: Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Here is the way I look at it.
Is there a chance in the near future of some major gun
law changes that will be attempted to be made? I say--YES

Will the laws pass and go through Congress---VERY GOOD CHANCE

Will the gun owning people stand for it----NOT SURE,DONT THINK SO, meaning will something be done more than just complaining about it.???????

Do I think this is some stunt to get people all shook up to spend
all their money on ammo----HE** NO

Each person needs to access their feelings/needs and obtain the
amount of ammo they feel comfortable in the event there is a
large shortfall of either mfg ammo or the components for handloads.

I say buy what you need/use but dont buy up everthing hoping
no one else will be able to get it, then jack it up ten times, making
a profit off other peoples misfortune during that type of crisis.
Doing that makes you no better than a scab,at least to me.
But hey thats only MY opinion.

See ya,
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:that one realy nice scope.im not hurt at all just misunderstood.lets just stop the story here and talk guns ??
+1
JOHNNY WACKO
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:tell me the story behind that gun+scope bid bear
oooops thats just bear sorry
JOHNNY WACKO
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Harrington & Richardson (H&R) Model 1871 "Buffalo Classic" with 32" barrel in 45/70 Government. The scope is a Navy Arms 4 power scope, no internal adjustment of the cross-hairs, with a 3/4" diameter brass tube, 32+" long with screw on lens caps. The scope adjustments are in the rear scope mount. The rifle I've had about a year, the scope came along last month from a very good friend after a several months search.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My apologies JOHNNY, I can see where my initial comment could easily be taken as rude. And as to the Savage with the scope on the see through mounts - the same. I looked back to see what you were referring to and that also did not come across in the manner it should have. I was in each case referring to how it seemed to me in my mind rather than how it should be addressed to be polite. You make a good point.

I had he impression you were asking feed back on why you might be taken as stirring the pot in a post where you said you were stirring the pot rather than asking for an opinion on the subject you addressed. And on the Savage with the scope, that was intended as wryly humorous but that doesn't always work. Again, apologies on deriding the gun.

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Sounds like were slowly going to become friends i to am sorry we got off to a ruff start but sometimes that makes for better friendships in the end.
JOHNNY WACKO
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let's hope so, you have a nice collection guns though it looks like the pics are now gone.

Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

claybob86 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

Typical that you are as inane as it gets. Please explain how what I said was incorrect?
The majority of your posts here that I've seen contain something that's calculated to insult someone. Look back at what you've written here and try to picture yourself on the receiving end. Would you like to be talked to like that? I doubt it. Try to remember this: Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.[/quote]

The only people I insult either justly deserve it or are like you, way to touch feelly and whine and cry when your feelings get hurt. Then you turn around a do exactly what you accuse me of doing, rather two faced don't you think?
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I had so meny pictures in my photobucket i was out of room.So i cleared it out and started over.

Bear thats one nice gun how dose she shoot?
JOHNNY WACKO
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Bear 45/70 wrote:
claybob86 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

The majority of your posts here that I've seen contain something that's calculated to insult someone. Look back at what you've written here and try to picture yourself on the receiving end. Would you like to be talked to like that? I doubt it. Try to remember this: Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

The only people I insult either justly deserve it or are like you, way to touch feelly and whine and cry when your feelings get hurt. Then you turn around a do exactly what you accuse me of doing, rather two faced don't you think?[/quote]

Oh well, I guess you just don't get it. :roll:
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:I had so meny pictures in my photobucket i was out of room.So i cleared it out and started over.

Bear thats one nice gun how dose she shoot?

Thank you. With only a look down the barrel bore sight, rang the 6" gong with the second round. That was with my mild 405 grain LFN Aardvark bullets over 40 grains of H-4198 for 1600 fps out of my Marlin 1895SS with 22" barrel. Never Chrony'd the load out of my "Buffalo Classic".
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Ive only seen scopes like that in the movies.Is that what everyone are using or is a uncommon deal?
JOHNNY WACKO
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Fairly uncommon but they are available.

http://www.hi-luxoptics.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=52
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I kind of want one of the Buffalo Classics but hesitate to add a caliber.

I didn't stock up on primers as I was busy with other things than loading and shooting. Saturday I got lucky at the reloading store as they had small pistol primers in. But the owner is rationing to us, only 500 max per customer.

So I bought the 500, and that should do me for the summer. I'll try to get more but don't want to overdo it and have too much of a fire hazard in my apartment. Not that primers and powder would start a fire, but they could make a small fire into a big fire.

I still have all the ammo I need for hunting season so if I can't get primers I'll just shoot more .22 LR.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The Buffalo Classic is my 6th 45/70 Government calibered weapon. Five rifles and one pistol. I had another, a Baikal Coachgun with screw-in chokes and 45/70 barrel inserts. A Cowboy Action shooter wanted it real ad and actually paid me more than a $100 more than I had into the setup.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I WANT ONE OF THOSE FOR A WINCHESTER I HAVE!
it would set it off nice.
JOHNNY WACKO
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:I WANT ONE OF THOSE FOR A WINCHESTER I HAVE!
it would set it off nice.

I know that feeling. Image
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think the good old tax deadline has some of us a bit adrenaline-charged this year, more than most.

We're all in the same boat so should try to not get too up-tight about differences in language or opinion.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bear 45/70 wrote:The Buffalo Classic is my 6th 45/70 Government calibered weapon. Five rifles and one pistol. I had another, a Baikal Coachgun with screw-in chokes and 45/70 barrel inserts. A Cowboy Action shooter wanted it real ad and actually paid me more than a $100 more than I had into the setup.
What's that big blob of metal on the end of the barrel?
ED
Yer never too old
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Looks like the first front site.
JOHNNY WACKO
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I would love to have that gun/scope.
It looks really sharp.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

madman4570 wrote:I would love to have that gun/scope.
It looks really sharp.
Yeah, it looks pretty good but would look a lot better without that big chunk of metal sitting on top of the end of the barrel.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Modoc ED wrote:
madman4570 wrote:I would love to have that gun/scope.
It looks really sharp.
Yeah, it looks pretty good but would look a lot better without that big chunk of metal sitting on top of the end of the barrel.
Yep... but I was thinkin' that scope would look world's better on my Sharps vs some tilt barrel thingie! :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!