Reloading Dies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Reloading Dies

Post by Bigahh »

I have been loading for 10+ years, but still consider myself somewhat of a beginner, always looking to learn as much as possible. I used the basic RCBS set of dies for my 30-30's since day 1, and they worked fine with very good accuracy from all my Winchesters. I have been having an accuracy problem with a Marlin 30-30 for about a year, and recently decided to switch dies to the Forster Bench rest set which set me back 64 bucks. Well I must admit it was money well spent for me as the rifle all of a sudden shoots around an inch with my same recipe, the only change was my dies..Go Figure! :D Just wondering what dies some of you are having luck with?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Reloading Dies

Post by flatnose »

I just use the plain old lee's.
Never had any problems with them, except a 30-06 set, which I think is cut a bit short on length. I adjust the die out accordingly.
A few records have been set with lee dies. I think I only have one other set of dies that are not lee's. They are rcbs. I cant say they are any better or worse.
If you are shooting benchrest a thou here or there can make a big difference.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it's Lee for me
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I'm partial to Hornady dies.

Don
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

In order of Choice.

1) Redding
2) Hornady
3) Lyman
4) CH4D
5) Lee
6) RCBS

Ed
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I use standard RCBS 30-30 dies. But my accuracy went to the toilet too. I traced the cause to the press ram. It was worn and would tilt to the side when any pressure was put on it. That ended up making ammo that was visibly crooked.
I've since replaced the RCBS RockChucker II with a Bonanza Co-Ax and all is well again.

I've been tempted to buy a set of the Forster bench rest dies, but that will have to wait.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RCBS and a couple of Reddings, one their Precision version.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have a mixture of LEE and RCBS dies. All seem to work well but I believe the LEE dies are a bit easier to use than the RCBS dies.

I'll tell ya what makes a big difference for me is the LEE Hand Press. I just get a better "feel" when using it than I do when using my RCBS Bench Press and turn out some really good, accurate, ammo when using it. I especially like to use it for loading .444 Marlin and only use the LEE Hand Press when loading .444 Marlin.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

90% Lee, a couple of Hornady's and RCBS. No problems with any of them. Lee is more accommodating to modify and cheaper.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For my 30-30 reloading I use a mix of various dies.

For sizing; I use a Lee collet neck size die. Once I have full lengthed sized a case, then it is neck size only.
This keeps from tiping the neck off center from the case. Also as I neck size I do it twice, the second time I rotate the case 90 degrees in the shell holder for the second pass.

For Belling/expanding the case Mouth; I use a Lyman "M" die. In my experience Lyman makes the best neck expanding dies.

For Bullet seating; I use an RCBS seating die. I do not crimp with this die. My experience shows that crimping & seating in one operation can distort the long neck of the 30-30 case.

For bullet crimping; I use the Lee factory Crimp die. This is a collet type die, and puts no stress on the bullet or case as it is applied. I use a medium crimp. I crimp both jacketed & Lead bullets.

I also use Remington case's for most all my Rifle reloading. Remington brass is a harder brass than the others. This works better for collet neck sizing only in my experience of reloading over the past 35 Years.

This is what I do and it works for me. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Kansas Ed wrote:In order of Choice.

1) Redding
2) Hornady
3) Lyman
4) CH4D
5) Lee
6) RCBS

Ed
Why? Have you actually noticed more accuracy in the order of the list, or based upon company statements, or ---?

Not a sarcastic question - I really want to know your reasons. Mine are either RCBS or Lee, and they work very well. But I'm not really a long distance bench rest, minute-of-angle hobbyist or competitor, either.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I like the Forster BR dies very well. IMO you have considerably less run out with them. There is basically two reeasons why. First the expander ball is way up on the stem, so you are sizing the outside and inside at almost the same time. So the neck is supported when the expander ball is pulled back through the Forster sizer. Second the sleeve that aligns the bullet and the case is the "berries" in the Forster. As I am sure you noticed there is no resistance when you seat the bullet in the case, like the resistance you feel with the standard RCBS dies. This prevents bad run out. The dies are well worth the extra money. Tom.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Kansas Ed wrote:In order of Choice.

1) Redding
2) Hornady
3) Lyman
4) CH4D
5) Lee
6) RCBS

Ed
Why? Have you actually noticed more accuracy in the order of the list, or based upon company statements, or ---?

Not a sarcastic question - I really want to know your reasons. Mine are either RCBS or Lee, and they work very well. But I'm not really a long distance bench rest, minute-of-angle hobbyist or competitor, either.
My choice is Redding over all others because of the quality they put into them. They are super smooth and bullet runout is negligible. They also try and keep things reasonable, and will build custom sets for you if need be. Most of my dies are Redding. I've shot some amazing groups out of my bolt guns with Redding dies.

Even though I hate Hornady products in general, (from a past disagreement with Steve Hornady) I must admit that their dies come in very very close to the Reddings. I think they are also top of the line.

Lyman comes in third because of their adjustments. I've loaded some very accurate ammo with Lymans too, but they don't seem to have the smoothness and the finish that the Reddings and the Hornady have.

CH4D is pretty much the same as the Lyman. Quality wise that is. But they are a tad more expensive. Now I have to give it to CH4D that they offer what no one else will, so mark them as even with the Lyman's in my book.

Lee's will build hunting ammo. They are everyday dies for all occasions. But I HATE their locking rings. I've loaded a LOT of ammo with Lee's, and it all shoots pretty well. But I just prefer the ease of use of the others.

I dislike RCBS for personal reasons I suppose. I guess I don't like the gimmicks that they try and sell people on. Like they used to sell special shell holders for cartridges that were based off of standard cases and would actually use standard shell holders. And the fact that I don't like the adjustments on the one die. I have two sets of RCBS and don't like using either.

It all boils down to personal preference. Those are just mine...

Ed
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

The Redding and the Forster Competition Seater Die with the micrometer adjustment are almost identical. The only real difference is the price the Forster is cheaper. that is why I use the Forster. Same thing, just a little less money. Tom.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks for the complete info - both of you. And to other posters. I may buy a more precise set for my .270 bolt, which I would use for longer ranges, and this information is definitely useful in my shopping the products.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Kansas Ed said:
Lee's will build hunting ammo. They are everyday dies for all occasions. But I HATE their locking rings. I've loaded a LOT of ammo with Lee's, and it all shoots pretty well. But I just prefer the ease of use of the others.
I don't especially like LEE's locking rings either so I use some spare RCBS locking rings that I bought to use on LEE dies. The ONE thing I really like about LEE dies is the use of their Seating Die. Very easy to use and in most cases you can use your fingers to adjust the Seating Die.

If I do my part, I can put my handloaded .444 Marlin rounds loaded on my LEE dies into a 1" group.
ED
Yer never too old
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

herters if I can find them, otherwise Lees
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Lee`s locking ring with the o-ring is not liked by many. It is not new. For many years cast bullet bench rest shooters and others have known that if an o-ring is installed under the regular lock ring of the die set that less run out will usually result as the die can float and self align. The same as holding the top punch in the lube/sizer press with a dab of bullet lube instead of using the set screw will allow the punch to self center. A good idea does not always get accepted by the users.

I seldom lock down the screws on the locking rings of dies,prefering to adjust the die to a dummy round I keep for each rifle/caliber/bullet combination.

Your Marlin is different from your Winchesters and needs whatever the new die set did to shoot well. Maybe a different expander size, shoulder set back less/more. Who knows but you found the combination when you bought the die set.

It would be interesting to know though. :?
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Your Marlin is different from your Winchesters and needs whatever the new die set did to shoot well. Maybe a different expander size, shoulder set back less/more. Who knows but you found the combination when you bought the die set.

It would be interesting to know though. :?
As i stated before I am really just a 10 year beginner, but in my mind my problem was with bullet alignment while seating. My new Forster Seating die helps the alignment greatly as does many other brand of dies. I believe in them so much I ordered a set for my .270 also. I believe the Hornady Seating Die is similar.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You can measure for bullet/case run out if you have the tools.The case must be straight first. If the rifles chamber is not straight to begin with the best die set wont fix that!
Most run out in reloading is caused by the sizing die. That is why Benchrest shooters use tight chambers and bushing dies that have no expander ball at all.
Usually not needed for leverguns but a way to trace down problems. :D