clean barrel + cast bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

clean barrel + cast bullets

Post by Bob A »

I have been enjoying playing with cast bullets in one of my Marlin 30-30s and I'm finding some good loads for both plinking and potential hunting loads. My problem is that every time I clean the barrel, it takes 6 or 7 shots to get any accuracy. I'm talking about 6 inch groups at 50 yards that settle down to 1 inch once the barrel is fouled. I have a 22 that acts the same way with a clean barrel but I don't mind "waisting" a few 22 shells to foul the barrel. I probably clean the 30-30 too often, but I am still working up loads and like to watch out for leading with some of the hotter loads (luckly, I rarely find any leading).
So, what's the secret? Live with it? Stop cleaning?
Is there a way to "pre-foul" the barrel, like a patch of alox?

Bob A
Hobie

Re: clean barrel + cast bullets

Post by Hobie »

Lots of rimfire shooters (match shooters) don't clean their barrels. Chambers, yes, not barrels. If you're only shooting cast, you can do the same.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I don't clean my lead-bullet shooters very often -- well, not "clean" clean, anyway. What I do after a shooting session is give the bore several strokes with a dry bronze brush. This cleans out powder particles and most of any lead fouling left, and leaves the bore conditioned for shooting, but doesn't make it squeaky-clean -- which is when I experience the sort of problem you describe.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sometimes is cracks me up when the gun rag writers write long articles about cleaning the bore of your rifle and then they say after you've cleaned it to be sure and fire fouling shots through the barrel so the barrel will be accurate.

Each rifle/person combination has to determine what is right for their circumstance.
ED
Yer never too old
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

A dry bore snake is all I use for my Rifles that shoot lead. If you keep you speed down & use gas check your leading will be nil.

If they are used a lot, then I will clean them some. all in all I only clean once a year.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I do not clean my cast bullet gun bores. I use a good lube on my bullets and the bores of my cast bullet guns are black. I have cleaned them after hunting in the rain and snow and then the bores are spotless until I season them black again. Junior Doughty calls it black bore and that it's a good thing. I agree.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

You raise an issue that get kicked around allot by the cast boolit crowd. It should not be surprising there is not agreement. Some folks never clean the barrel and others clean it throughly. You are correct that a truly clean barrel won't settle down until there is a good coat of lube in the barrel. Some folks try and get around this buy putting a warm or diluted bit of their bullet lube on a patch and swabing down the bore before going to the range. I have tried that and it has not worked for me.

When I was shoorting small bore matches, we never cleaned the barrels of our rifles until the end of the season. It took at least 50-100 rounds to get a barrel back to match condition. But, recently I read an article by some fellow who tested that all out and ended up with the concluson that a clean barrel shot better groups.

The fly in the ointment is there have been a few reports of rusted cast bullet barrels that were not cleaned. This can be traced to some salts in some component of the bullet lube. You have to be graduate chemist to know what is in all of those concoctions.

Me, I take the middle way. When I get home from the range, I run a couple of patches soaked with Ed's Red down the bore until they come out clean. This only takes three or four patches. I follow with a clean patch ot dry it and another dampened with Break-Free to give some protection. The barrel looks clean and shiney, but really still has lots of stuff in it. It is very, very seldom that I have any leading. For the most part, I can just ignore it as any concern.

With my method it will take the rifle two or three rounds to settle down and do it's best, but those few rounds won't be more than an inch or so out of the group. I don't have an answer to this issue, but this is what I have settled on that keep me shooting and give me peace of mind that the barrels aren't growing rust in the safe. Of course with cast as well as comdom bullets, when hunting I don't clean the rifle after the final sight check.

It would seem that in this shooting game, there is never much agreement about anything. I guess most folks would agree that a jerked triger on a rifle or handgun is a bad thing, but that is about it.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Clean the bore of a rifle? People really do that??!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mine doesn't seem to need a fouling shot, thankfully, and I clean it after every session. My bb94 in 356 Win. puts them all in the same place from a cold, clean barrel to the third shot of the cluster. I just make sure the bore has no oil to start with a dry patch. I use 41 gr. H4895 and Montana Bullet Works 200 Gr. RCBC FNGC, sized .359. Should be clocking above 2000 fps. If I do my part..my groups are about 1" at 75 yards and .75 " at 50 off cross sticks, depending how much Coffee I've had and if there is a 375 Weatherby going off next to me. Did I mention I don't ever plan on selling my 356 Win? :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

C. Cash wrote:... depending how much Coffee I've had and if there is a 375 Weatherby going off next to me. :mrgreen:
Mr. Cash, in the name of science, we'll need to know the group sizes with (1) no coffee and no Weatherby; (2) too much coffee and no Weatherby; (3) no coffee and with the Weatherby; and (4) too much coffee and with the Weatherby. :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

Never "clean" ANY of my guns. Some guys I shoot with have a fit but have never had a rust problem
Only when hunting Montana in cold rain snow do I "clean" a gun after the season, during it I just run brakfree over all metal.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

claybob86 wrote:
C. Cash wrote:... depending how much Coffee I've had and if there is a 375 Weatherby going off next to me. :mrgreen:
Mr. Cash, in the name of science, we'll need to know the group sizes with (1) no coffee and no Weatherby; (2) too much coffee and no Weatherby; (3) no coffee and with the Weatherby; and (4) too much coffee and with the Weatherby. :D
Of course I'll need funding. Don't get me started on Ports on 375 Weatherby's, Mall Ninja's with AK's etc, etc. and their effect on my shooting :mrgreen: Not trying to put up brag groups but just saying some of these guns seem to do fine from a cold clean barrel, and seem to keep shooting fine. Normally, I don't do more than 10-15 rounds of 356 before going to 22's or Single Actions.....just not my idea of a fun gun after that many rounds, so what happens after many rounds without cleaning, I can only report on after the revolution. :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

Only clean the bore at the end of the shooting season for me, sometimes not then. Do protect the metal. Never have any leading in the rifles or revolvers. Just get the loose stuff out, leave the conditioning. For Jacketed bullet only guns, different story.
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

Thanks to you all for your response.
As always, its great to have access to your