OT(ish) - Oil and felt.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

OT(ish) - Oil and felt.

Post by mklwhite »

My favorite felt hat now has two oil spots (middle finger and thumb positions on the crown) from a little spill situation and not cleaning my hands well enough before touching my hat. Are there any good ways to get the oil stains out of the felt? It's not an expensive hat, but if I can save it, short of the price of buying another, I will.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT(ish) - Oil and felt.

Post by Blaine »

Perhaps soaking it in Woolite and a light brushing on the soiled spots. Gently rinse.... Put on a form or wear to dry.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

use talcum powder on the stains. put it on heavy and let it absorb the stain, then use a horsehair brush to remove the powder. do not use soap of any kind or water.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Thank you both for your suggestions. I didn't have the woolite on hand so I tried the talcum powder approach. Worked great. Thanks. :D
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Stains! On a cowboy hat! Oh MY! My hat of the last 20 years is nigh onto black with blood, grease, oil, sweat, and water. The only hat I have that isn't stained some way is a Sunday go to meeting hat that gets worn aboout 4 times a year.

If you must have a new looking hat there are several felt hat renewal companies that advertise on line.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

This is my going-to-town hat, not my going to the woods hat. Even then it is my cool/cold weather hat not my warm/hot hat. That one is a breezer. Yep, I like hats. I don't have many many, but I am always looking for the next one. No ball/trucker caps though. They don't look right on me. Neither do the traditional cowboy hats. I tend to wear the outback style and the Indiana style fedora though I do have other fedoras.
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

I would use corn starch on it to get the oil out.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'll keep the talcum powder and corn meal in mind. I've got a bone colored custom that I'm sure I'll need to do something like that sooner or later.
Old Law Dawg
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I have a couple of Stetson fedoras I wear in the woods, but my most often worn hats are a couple of Akubra Banjo Pattersons, one is fawn color the other black. The black tends to show everything. I bought some hat care products from Noggintops.com that helped a lot.