How many of you don't like slings and why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

How many of you don't like slings and why?

Post by rangerider7 »

Other than having to put a hole in the stock is there any good reason for not liking a sling on a hunting rifle?

P.S. I know there are slings that you can use that don't put holes in the stock, but many levergunners still don't like them.
"That'll Be The Day"
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Re: How many of you don't like slings and why?

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

i like em if i am walking alot... but just going to my ground blind and back i take it off
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rangerider,
Being an old head in the woods, I learned a long time ago that a sling is as important as the ammo. I don't know about "why not" to put on a sling, but this is why I like to.
1.) When your tired, your shoulder can carry the rifle.
2.) When your hurt, your shoulder can carry the rifle.
3.) When your draggin' your deer, your shoulder can carry your rifle.
4.) When you have to take a leak or glass the surrounding terrain, your shoulder or a tree branch can hold your rifle. (especially in snow, mud, etc.)
5.) When your bs'en with your buddies, your shoulder can carry your rifle.
6.) When traversing tough terrain, your shoulder can carry your rifle.
7.) If some jerk screws up your "stand hunting" by making noise etc. you will need both hands free--one to grab your crotch and the other to flip him the bird--so shoulder that 1886! :D ---------------------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well said Jack!!!

I hate not having a sling.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There isn't any time I don't like a sling, except maybe when I shoot from a rest, if the sling interferes with bedding down the front of the gun in the cradle. I can't see any reason NOT to want a sling otherwise, unless you have a poorly designed floppy, noisy, shiny one on a hunting gun. The only gun I wouldn't put swivels and a sling on would be a 'Safe Queen' that I never shot and just liked to look at. As for the 'damage' the sling causes to the gun, there will be far more damage from NOT having a sling, when it falls, gets dropped, or whatever.

Then again, I don't own any 'collector' guns or 'unfired NIB' guns - they were meant to be used, shot, and taken afield, and that means they'll need a sling in my book...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sixgun wrote:Rangerider,
Being an old head in the woods, I learned a long time ago that a sling is as important as the ammo. I don't know about "why not" to put on a sling, but this is why I like to.
1.) When your tired, your shoulder can carry the rifle.
2.) When your hurt, your shoulder can carry the rifle.
3.) When your draggin' your deer, your shoulder can carry your rifle.
4.) When you have to take a leak or glass the surrounding terrain, your shoulder or a tree branch can hold your rifle. (especially in snow, mud, etc.)
5.) When your bs'en with your buddies, your shoulder can carry your rifle.
6.) When traversing tough terrain, your shoulder can carry your rifle.
7.) If some jerk screws up your "stand hunting" by making noise etc. you will need both hands free--one to grab your crotch and the other to flip him the bird--so shoulder that 1886! :D ---------------------------------------Sixgun
I'm which ya brother! I've gotta get someone to silver solder on a sling stud to my '86's front forearm cap and then figure out what kind of attachment I'm going to use for the buttstock that won't allow the quick disconnect to beat up the wood.
Old Law Dawg
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

rangerider7 wrote:Other than having to put a hole in the stock is there any good reason for not liking a sling on a hunting rifle?

P.S. I know there are slings that you can use that don't put holes in the stock, but many levergunners still don't like them.
I'm one of the do not like 'em kind. I took the sling studs off of my guide gun because I don't want a game warden to call my wife and tell her they found my gun wrapped around my remains in the bear den.

I especially can't stand the thought of having my rifle tied onto myself when I'm packing a deer out past said bear den. In those cases my only problem is that my rifle won't fire both fore and aft.....

Never saw the Duke slinging a gun. If I'm too decrepit to carry my rifle I'm just stuck with my hand gun.

If you absolutely have to tie a gun onto yourself there is plenty of stuff in the kit to work it out. A bit of parachute cord is handy for lowering a rifle down the steep parts.

It's just me I suppose.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I always have a sling with me. That way I can use it or not depending on the situation at hand. Used one once to drag a deer when I'd forgotten my drag rope and used one once with another hunter to tie a splint on his buddies leg who had broken it falling/stumbling off a small rise.

In a pinch, most Model 94s/92s/73s can be slipped into your belt if you don't have a sling. A little harder to do with Model 86s/95s/bigger guns.
ED
Yer never too old
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Mark me for not liking them.

I still hunt mostly and slings hang up in the brush, thus making noise.....no good. It still goes with me in my blaze orange vest game pocket in case I need a drag or need to make a splint.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The only rifles I will tolerate a sling on are scoped bolt guns, and only then to get a better rest by wrapping my fore arm in the sling for a brace. My shoulders slope too much and are too bony to make a sling work for me, it keeps sliding off and is more work than just carrying the rifle. Personal preference and body type.

Ed
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have spent so much time useing a sling as a firing aid in the Corps that I feel darn right strange when out with a rifle that doesn't have one. I do have a few that dont have slings but the ones I hunt with the most all have one.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't use a sling much anymore because my hunting is now mostly done from permanent blinds or stands. I had a sling on everything when we lived in Idaho and most of my hunting consisted of miles of walking, spot and stalk type hunting.
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My first experience with slings was on my M60 and M16 in the Army. It seems like every time you needed your weapon quickly you had to first contend with the sling hanging on something...branch, the equipment on your body, etc. You could tape them to not rattle but the snag factor always drove me away from them....never used them on civilian rifles.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I am with JReed --- i have an extensive military background and sling supported shooting positions are in-grained behavior i suppose

----- I am opposite in that i dont like them mucking up the looks of my bolt rifles, but i think a cool sling (hand tooled leather - all that stuff -- looks right on the lever guns. My favorite was made out of an old western belt with little woven inlays and conchos --- stuff like that soothes my soul
----- Doug
dimrod
Levergunner

Post by dimrod »

None of my firearms wear a sling!

I hunt in Alaska. My rifle is either in a case on the ATV or snowmachine until I take it out to stalk my quarry. When I go sheep hunting, it is attached to my backpack. The sling is just extra weight and something to interfere with the shouldering of the weapon.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

For me a sling is something I expect to have on a rifle. Probably due to my army background, although they were always removed but on the man when patrolling.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

it dose not really worry me if i have a sling or not i do use them to shot quite often on bolt guns
as for deploying your weapon when something nasty is wants you you'd be surprised how fast you can get that dam thing off your
shoulder when you need to (but if im somewhere i think i need it it already in my hand)
but none of my levers were a sling ????
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I'm with Sixgun on this one for sure :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I like slings but they are ugly on lever guns. Slings help you shoot better and make life easier when hiking. The best sling I have found for a traditional gun is the canvas web and leather sling sold by Trader Keith. Sling studs are a problem but Pacmyer makes some nice flush mount studs.

I have a Stainless Synthetic Sako 75 that I use for western deer hunting and on that rifle I just purchased some black webbing and a coulpe of fittings for the sling, I think it costs about three bucks at Home Depot and that sling is as good as any sling sold made of synthetic materials.

Dave
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i shoot better using a sling as support. i learned to shoot that way. big difference in hitting the target ,for me, anyway.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I've gotta get someone to silver solder on a sling stud to my '86's front forearm cap and then figure out what kind of attachment I'm going to use for the buttstock that won't allow the quick disconnect to beat up the wood.]

Kim - Last year, IIRC, a fellow levergunner posted an idea that may work for you.

He used a second, replacment buttplate (I think it was) and a leather strap about 3" long as a rear sling swivel receiver.
The extra BP got inletted for the 1"-wide strap, which was secured by the lower BP screw and ran straight down to hang about 1" below the toe of the stock. That's where the rear sling swivel hooked up.

That said, I don't use a shooting sling, just a carrying strap - which spends most of it's life looking at the insides of my haversack or pocket.

flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

If you don't like slings you've never spent much time in the Rockies climbing up and down boulders as big as jeeps to get where you are going. Depends on the terrain I suppose but here you gotta hava a sling.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I don't like slings that have to have the studs drilled into the stock on my lever guns but my bolt actions all have slings. I used one a lot in the military also but they do get hung up on things like twigs, roots, limbs and anything that can make it hard for you to shoulder your firearm.
I have hunted so much with a muzzle loader that doesn't have a sling that other then being able to hang it off my shoulder when tired I don't know of a good use for one. If I ever put one on one of my levers or muzzle loaders it will be the kind that you lace up on the butt and tie to the barrel.
If I am where I need it in my hands unless you tape it up out of the way it will catch on everything and swinging on the stud can make a really disturbing squeaking sound which is not good if you don't want to be heard.
Guess then I would use one if I needed but would rather not kind of guy.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like Sling-supported-offhand if I get the chance... long-time Target-rifle/Military training I suppose.

That said, I like a good combat-port("tactical")/saddle-ring-sling for GP/carry... I HATE a sling that wants to turn a rifle upside-down, and I HATE uver-the-shoulder sling carry. Impossible with a loaded ruck and a tactical nightmare in a pinch...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

C. Cash wrote:My first experience with slings was on my M60 and M16 in the Army. It seems like every time you needed your weapon quickly you had to first contend with the sling hanging on something...branch, the equipment on your body, etc. You could tape them to not rattle but the snag factor always drove me away from them....never used them on civilian rifles.
Same here when I did four in the Air Force as a SP. As a 155# M60 gunner that sling was a welcome addition whenever playing somewhere on a exercise. In my day to day job of walking around E3 AWACs at Tinker AFB the sling on my M16 was welcome also since I stood most of the time at some entry gate or post.

As for my leverguns, I prefer no sling. Just seems natural for them to go naked. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

This is a useful sling:

This is a useful sling:
(please pardon the ugly coot that should still be posting here...)

IMO, muzzle-up, behind the shoulder, is NOT a useful sling arangement...

FWIW, as a 130# M60 gunner, I appreciated the tactical, front-of-body sling on it. Made that pig ballance my ruck right nicely. Carrying the pig I was able to ad 25# of extra stuff (usually pyrotechnics) to my ALICE. :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I like slings but I don't hunt with the sling attached. I carry a cheapie in my backpack. I put the sling on if I need both hands to drag a deer or such like. Several times (but not nearly enough) I have hung my rifle from the antler of a big ol' bull riding my back on the packout to camp. :D No way to do that without a sling.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Slings are cool and useful.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

don't like it but gotta have it. Mine is too thick to be a good shooting aid, which is why I don't like it. Also it has a buckle on it that always seems to rattle on something. Maybe it's time to go shopping.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

This is a useful sling:
I'm not sure. Looks good for walking around the lawn after it's mowed. But it looks like it's in the mud if you bend over. What say you?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

He carries it lower in that picture than I do, and I usually put the gun in front of my body 3-point style with the Saddle ring right at or a little higher than belt level. All I need is enough slack to shoulder the gun.

I also usually have the crown taped when I'm out and about just because of the potential mud issue.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I also usually have the crown taped when I'm out and about just because of the potential mud issue.
I use tape also. That's a good call.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

OI - You are right. Junior should still be posting here but after the remark that someone made to him that his grandaughter should have been aborted because Junior believed in abortion, I don't blame him for not coming here anymore.

That is a useful sling that Junior makes. You ought to check out his web site/blog. Very useful and good, entertaining info on it. You can get to it throug this link:

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Modoc ED wrote:OI - You are right. Junior should still be posting here but after the remark that someone made to him that his grandaughter should have been aborted because Junior believed in abortion, I don't blame him for not coming here anymore....
Is that why he pulled out? I never knew...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I've been using a sling to shoot competition for the last 15 years so I feel naked without one on my hunting rifles. About the only time I wouldn't use one is to take that short range snap shot or that long range prone pack-supported shot. I hike and pack into many of my hunting areas very early in the AM, so I like to have the rifle slung over my shoulder during the march. I do remove it, however, once I reach my stand.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I don't like a sling on my leverguns just because I don't personally like to see the wood messed with but if a hunting rifle has swivels, I'll use em. Sometimes, depending on the hunt, I carry a saddle scabbard with a sling fashioned to it.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:OI - You are right. Junior should still be posting here but after the remark that someone made to him that his grandaughter should have been aborted because Junior believed in abortion, I don't blame him for not coming here anymore....
Is that why he pulled out? I never knew...
That had a hell of a lot to do with it. I don't have that post bookmarked but Junior does. One of the worst slams on a guy that I've ever read on the internet.
ED
Yer never too old
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I always have a sling when I'm hunting . It holds that Justin Case extra coat around my waist. If I need to use it it's there.
Also a big fan of JRs saddle ring sling , since I always one or two hand carry my rifle anyways I don't have to lean the rifle against a tree to grab a snack , check map and compass , take a leak , ect ect it's that third hand when you need it.

Miss Juniors posts as well.
Phil
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think that in Junior's case it was semi constantly having to defend being a democrat. If you get someone who's grand daughter was aborted and did not want that and had no control over the event and someone says they support it ---- you are likely to get that sort of response -- and which would have suffered the greater loss/insult/travesty?

Junior the gun guy and Junior politically always seemed incompatible and was always going to raise someone's ire in a discussion given the stance of most gun/second amendment supporters and their common religious affiliations.

Anyone who espouses support for the political side which is most incompatible with gun/2nd/religious positions which often go together is going to experience regular opposition if not outright attack from a variety of changing people depending on what the discussion revolves around.

Just my observation of how these boards go.

BTW, it works the same on some golf boards if you aren't a Tiger worshiper.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Yep, you are right Fred about Juniors opposing political beliefs and his apparent gun rights beliefs. Made for many heated threads/posts but we all went into it with eyes-wide-open. You made some good points that I think are valid. Maybe it was the personal, family, slights that closed the final curtain but only Junior knows why he left -- apparently for good.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You may very well be right.

I had a short interchange with him on another board on the source of antigun legislation. In my view he still wants to turn a blind eye to what I see as the obvious truth politically.

In the time I have been on this board there have been a few guys that tried to swim against the tide and that seems not to work for them for long.

Again, my observation of how things go.

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

My take on a rifle sling??

I love em. I also love scopes. But if we are talking lever guns, "love" becomes too strong of a word. I realize both are useful and improve the performance of any gun. But short, light, fast handling guns that are well balanced and a joy to carry are ill effected by both. My Win. Trapper (now gone) had a receiver sight and no sling. Carrying the gun was a joy and almost an extension of my arm. I never once thought about putting a sling on it. My current 94AE has a scope. It doesn't feel like an extension of my hand and doesn't seem anymore balanced or easier to carry than my bolt guns. Just doesn't feel right. But for the shooting and hunting I want to do the scope is a great aid so there it sits atop the gun. But I can't imagine it not having a sling on it. I already ruined it's feel with the scope and the sling now seems like a requirement.

If I want to keep a gun short, light and handy I don't want things adding bulk and hanging off of it. If I want to hit smaller targets and more of a "carried lots, shot little" hunting rig, a scope and sling are great aids.

Just to be clear though, all my long guns have slings, even my bird gun. But all my slings are either 1" leather or 1" nylon. Never cared much for other sling designs or wider ones.

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There was another fellow here who had a trapper in 45 so decked out and he traveled on quad with it for deer. Interesting outfit and he was quite successful with it.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The only sling I like on a levergun is a CQB type, attached to the saddle ring. It holds your gun where you need it, keeps it in a "ready position", and you don't have to "ugly up" a perfectly nice gun!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1