2nd Annual SoCal Levergunner's Family Reunion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 2nd Annual SoCal Levergunner's Family Reunion

Post by El Chivo »

Tutt, sorry to hear about that. I ought to mention, it would not be impossible to reschedule. I think we can save you a bottle of Old Savage.

So, how many are coming without Andy? Please chime in so I can get an approximate count. Then I can tell the range and the restaurant what to expect.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am planning to come to the dinner and the next day.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just talked to Andy (tutt) about the schedule problem with his work - actually it is more involved than he reported. He certainly feels bad about not being able to attend. He is the guy who drove this largely.

No problem with me to reschedule to summer if that is affable with others.

If anyone is traveling here we can still shoot there or somewhere else????
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I called Jim Williamson, a Shootist, and he is still willing to come. It's up to you guys. I'm surprised more posters aren't responding as to whether they plan on attending. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, so far we have:

Old Savage
Jim Williamson
El Chivo
Jay Bsaride
Tom F

and I may have one or two San Diego friends coming.

Waiting to hear from 71 fan, handirifle, and anyone else who's coming.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I was going to try but am open to a later date as well.Just visited Camarillo last weekend.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

El Chivo, if you have some friends coming from S.D., please let the group know soon. Sounds like you have enough people for an event!!!! I sure wish I could be there, but my boss did tell me to show up at the middle school this week once she found out what was happening. Furthermore, I had another case thrust upon me at the high school yesterday with an emotionally disturbed 14 year old who needs a special education assessment done immediately, and I will be testing her this Saturday as my schedule is already full for this week. The mental health needs of this town are simply staggering to me.

Hope you guys choose to have the event anyhow. I'm 500 miles away now, and I'd like to see the event stand on its own. SoCal is such a large area that I'm surprised there are not more interested shooters. The Angeles Range is one of the BEST shooting ranges I've been to anywhere. The people who work there are friendly but very professional, and there are steel targets from 200-600 yards available. This is VERY hard to find, and a great opportunity to improve your skills at long range. I think you would all be better off for going except for Jim who is a regular!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I'm out. Work and family prevent my attending. Summer would be a better time for me. I hope y'all have a great time and I will certainly miss being there.
Chad
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I am still on as a spectator, ammo caddy, or brass retrieval expert. Looking forward to meetingthe SoCal bunch.

TomF
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

71Fan - we were wondering about you. There will almost certainly be another gathering in the summer when Andy can make it.

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well, it looks like it will be a small group, myself, Old Savage, Tom F, and maybe Jim. Haven't heard from anyone else.

Here's the location of the restaurant, it's at the corner of Foothill and Little Tujunga, just before heading into the forest. It's called the Ranch Side Cafe, and they have a website:

http://www.ranchsidecafe.com/

The range itself is 2 miles in from Little Tujunga, take the left turn right after the ranger's station, and head up the hill. For exact location, check out their website.

You can download the rules and the release form. There's also a map of the complex.

http://www.angelesranges.com/

Do you guys still want to meet for the dinner the night before? What we could do is meet at the restaurant before the range opens and then head up there. Or we could do both.

Old Savage, it's up to you, I believe you're traveling the farthest.

Tom, if you want to shoot, there will be guns available.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jim Williamson and I are on for dinner.

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Me too for dinner, see you there!

6:00 pm?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is the time we are planning for.

TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I will be travelling on Sunday to the range. I will plan to be there 0900 or so.

I certainly appreciate the opportunity!!

TomF
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

So how was the shoot?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

There were 3 of us there. The range was bustling with activity. The range is a fantastic facility set in a picturesque setting. The weather was perfect with a light wind at our backs. All of our shooting was informal in that no scores or "official" targets were use. The guns used today were a pair of Savage 99s in 30-30 and 300 Savage, a long barrelled Winchester 94 30-30, a "lift lever" Remington 788-223, and Marlins 39 and 1894/357. We shot steel plates at 200 yards with the Savages and Marlin 357 with some regularity. The 300 yard ram was hit more than a few times, shooting while standing on our hind legs. Jim W and el chivo are great fellows and showed me an abundance of California hospitility. In all, a good day with good people.

TomF
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

TomF - glad you had a good time. Jim and I were looking at those guns the night before. Neat aren't they. I had a very bad bout with the spring allergies and it got worse when I came down there for dinner the previous night.

You do have a chance to shoot at a lot of distances down there and there is no more enthusiastic guy about sharing his guns than Jim.

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I had a great time and it was good to see the Savage and the Shootist (Jim) and meet Tom. I got to shoot some different guns and ring some faraway gongs. Tutt you have some Old Savage cologne coming your way.