Guide Gun Vs. Cowboy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
savagefan
Levergunner

Guide Gun Vs. Cowboy

Post by savagefan »

Thanx to the help I've received from you great folks here, my next gun purchase will be a Marlin in 45/70. I would like to hear from you that have owned both in this caliber if one has an advantage over the other. Hunting in open timber, irons for now, maybe a scope later. I prefer the look of the Cowboy but this gun has to work well. Fire away please.
I hate seagulls.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Guide Gun Vs. Cowboy

Post by RKrodle »

I have owned both the CowBoy and the Guide Gun. The CB does have the better looks, and the one I had shot very well. I really liked the slim wood. The GG is not as sexy but it shoots just as well and is the one I kept. The GG is quicker to shoulder and get on target for fast shots and it just handles better for me. I sold the CB and kept the GG.
Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one of each, but haven't shot either enough to comment. Both were used guns, but both function reliably with factory ammunition, and both seem plenty accurate. Once I get some handloads made, I plan to see how accurate the CB is with a scope, and the Guide wears 'ghost' ring Williams sights. I do know both will consistently hit a 6" gong at 100 yards, but that isn't necessarily an 'accuracy' test.

Generally, I'd want the shorter gun if I wanted 'handiness' and the longer gun if I wanted pretty looks and less noise/recoil, and maybe (I don't know about this part yet) more accuracy.

I suppose if you wanted to be down to basics about it, you can always shorten a CB barrel if you want to :o , and all you'd have to do is shorten and re-anchor the magazine tube to have your CB turned into a 'Guide' gun. Harder to lengthen a Guide gun into a CB...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've never owned a CB, but I have handled and shot one. I do have a Guide Gun and must say I do prefer the latter for a hunting gun. In fact, if I could only keep one rifle it would be the Guide Gun. It's the ultimate in portability and power. I do like the Cowboys too, but they seem to be more of a specialty gun. Maybe I just prefer shorter barrels.
NRA Life Member
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Target and Silhouette - Cowboy

Hunting and Utility - Guide
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I own an 1895CB, a blued 1895 Guide Gun (unported), and one of the new 16" stainless 1895 SDT carbines from Davidsons.

I guess I run contrary to the other views; the 1895CB with its slim furniture and excellent balance handles MUCH better for me than the more "clubby" GG or SDT with their bulked-up "plus size" forends. The long 1895CB "cradles" in my arms very nicely and I found that I can carry it all day. I don't think the longer, slimmer 1895CB comes to the shoulder any slower, and I do think the extra mass out front and extended moment of inertia helps to stabilize the CB better than the GG.

JMO,

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 1895GS set up as a Scout, with Ghost Ring back up and a 1895 Cowboy set up with a fitted Simms and a Marbles Tanger and a Happy Trigger from WWG........I won't be selling either of them anytime soon :wink: I hunt with the stainless GS because where I live it's usually real wet during hunting season. If you forced me to pick one, I'd have to keep the CB.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have shot both and I think you have to handle each and see which you like the best. Both are good shooters but I don't own either as I like the Standard 22" the best.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I haven't had a Cowboy, yet, but I had a Guide Gun.

It was mighty light and handy to carry, but in honesty I must admit that I was shooting some handloads that would kill on one end and danged near cripple on the other. Even with the ports, that 6.75 pound rifle was a thumper on the shooting end.

Even so, I'd love to get another and one day maybe I will.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Just a few weeks ago I asked nearly the same question here. I decided on a standard Marlin 1895 with a 22" barrel.it's neither fish nor fowl (too short or long). Won it on gunbroker and it should be here in a few days.
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

im very satisfied with my marlin xlr in 45-70 :D

WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

HATCHETTJACK wrote:im very satisfied with my marlin xlr in 45-70 :D
What buttstock cartridge carrier is that, and does it hold the cartridges tight enough to not fall out with rough handling of the gun?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

See if you can find an LTD III. The best of both worlds, it's like a Cowboy with an 18 inch barrel.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

The Marlin 1895 LTD III = The best of both worlds.

I've hunted a lot with the 1895GS. GREAT hunting rifle, very accurate, not finicky about ammo and easy to shoot and transport.

The Marlin 1895 Cowboy is a beautiful rifle. I love mine for everything but running through the brush chasing Elk. As mentioned earlier it really hangs on the target when shooting offhand. Typically gets another 75-150 fps than the GG at levergun pressure levels in the loads I've tested. The long sight radius is nice for older eyes too.

I picked up an LTD III last year - it has the beauty of the cowboy and the handiness of the Guide Gun. I've not hunted with it yet. Of the five 1895's I've owned this one is the most picky about ammo. I likes bullets sized .460" or bigger. .459" doubles the group size and .457" sized bullets will most likely miss the paper at 50 yards. It is the least fun to shoot off the bench - being light weight and without a recoil pad.

A friend of a friend has one and has hinted at selling it. I inquired and he wanted a ransom for it. If I didn't already have one I would have bought it - still might but have to sell something else to get it. If you're interested, email or PM me and I'll see if he still has it.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I like the GS myself.

Gotta love tree pictures. Show a levergun in it's natural habitat.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
savagefan
Levergunner

Post by savagefan »

Sure is a beauty Whit Spurs on.
I hate seagulls.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If you are going to use standard factory ammo you will get 125 - 200 fps more velocity out of the Cowboy. That velocity may give you a slight trajectory advantage if you will shoot out to 200 yds ( or a bit more ). It will also provide a wee bit more energy that might count if you are shooting big tough stuff like elk. If you are going to shoot Grizzly or Garrett type factory ammo, it is designed for performance from the 18.5" barrel and will not do much better with a longer barrel. With that in mind, you'd want a good recoil pad on the guide gun because the recoil will be significantly more than the Cowboy model. The LTD models are a decent compromise of shorter length while maintaining a lot of the weight. The new SBL is another great idea with a full length mag tube, stainless with laminate stock - more weight with handy features - like the medium loop lever. This model and all the guide guns with round barrel can easily accomodate a scout scope set-up or a receiver top mounted scope. The octagon barrel models will accept the receiver top mounted scope but to use a scout scope set-up will require some tinkering. Frankly, I had a Guide Gun, a standard 1895 and a Cowboy and I parted with them all for the Winchester 1886EL (22" bbl) - but that is irrelevant to your question. Given the choices of Marlin I would favor the new SBL or the guide gun for general hunting use, and for big critters I'd use Grizzly ammo or something like it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I like my 45-70's short and handy :mrgreen:

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Whit Spurzon wrote:The Marlin 1895 LTD III = The best of both worlds.

it.

That looks nice !! :D another part of my brain likes Jeepniks GS model too ! If i had known that LTD 3 even existed, i would have searched for one of those over the guide i have now though, i love its capability, but i like the slim feel of my Winchester better
----- Doug
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Guide Gun without a doubt. I still may pick up a Cowboy though, just for back up. :lol:
Here's a couple pics of mine........

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I like my SS Guide gun but I luv my XLRImage
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

The GS is great as a brushgun.The XLR is for reach'n out. :)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

AJMD429 wrote:
HATCHETTJACK wrote:im very satisfied with my marlin xlr in 45-70 :D
What buttstock cartridge carrier is that, and does it hold the cartridges tight enough to not fall out with rough handling of the gun?
its made by beartooth products, and i got it at cabelas... cartridges fit nice and tight and it has a neoprene inner layer that keeps em from slipping
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ya mean this is an "either/or" deal? What fun is that?

I haven't got a .45/70, but if I was into them, I'd probably have to do what I did with 1894s. I bought two CB-Ls, both the earlier varient with the nicer wood and 24" barrel, and cut one of em to 16". A "short CB" is perhaps the neatest short rifle, IMHO. Ya get the octagon bbl, the slim forearm, and the short length.
Certified gun nut
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

My Guide gun with the XS peep sights is a true hunting gun, at least for my type of hunting. I do some driving and some stalking and roaming around the mountains.

If you were taking a stand - I would go with the cowboy - if you are doing any type of roaming, the guide is the way to go.

Although, an early model 1895 with the straight grip and 22" barrel could be a good compromise. I think the cowboy gets heavy after an all day walk about
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...