How do you handle "The Question"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

How do you handle "The Question"

Post by coyote nose »

I get asked frequently "How many guns do you have?" by non gun owning friends/enemies/acquaintences. How do you guys handle this? I went from saying "Not enough", to saying "Oh just a few" to my current answer of "Thats like me asking you how much money you have in your savings account" but that only gets a blank stare and they REALLY dont get it. Sometimes I actually get near the mark and state "Over the years I have owned a lot, but since I have to sell some to buy others at any current time I dont have that many." Obviously I dont want any hoplophobes knowing exactly what i have and besides...it really is always in a state of flux..I sell 2 to buy 1, some are Dads..or are they mine now???? Anyway, just wondered how you handle these clods. PS it would be different when close gun owning buddies get inquisitive, but they know not to ask.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How do you handle "The Question"

Post by TedH »

I don't usually get that question from non-gun owners, as I try not to associate with those types. :wink: When I do, my simple answer is, "I have what I need".
NRA Life Member
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I guess living in North Dakota is different than other states.
I honestly can't remember anyone that I have been around having an issue with the amount of guns I have. I can't even think of a friend that doesn't own any.
The only people that know how many I have are close friends. I don't go around spreading the info.
Between friends the answer is always not enough though. :D

Byron
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

What the heck is it about kilts and guns that make people think they can ask personal questions with impunity?

For Kiltmen, the question is some form of "What are you wearing under that kilt?" The answers range from smart aleck to playful, to downright rude, depending on the situation and who's asking and how the ask. Most of the time I respond, "For 5 bucks I'll tell you, for 10 bucks I'll show you, and for 20 bucks you can find out yourself."

When people ask personal questions about our gun accumulations/collections, I think the same sort of guidelines should apply. Answer the question without giving information if possible and cutting people off very short if they are insistent. About as often as not I respond along the lines of, "More than my wife thinks I need, but not as many as I want." If that doesn't deflect the questioner, you can go ahead and tell them that you'd rather not discuss the size of your gun collection, and if need be tell them , " Sorry but that information is classified "Need to Know" and you don't need ton know." It they continue to rudely pust the question, toss away Emily Post and tell the flat out, "It's really none of your business." And if their rudeness warrants it, tell them, "It is none of your blank-dashed business, bleep off!"

So I guess you could say that as a guideline, use humor and misdirection when possible, be firm when nneded, and respond to rude persistence as necessary.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

arjunky wrote:The only people that know how many I have are close friends. I don't go around spreading the info

I too try to keep my gun profile low, but during lunch breaks where I work I am often making little things for my hobbies...gun parts included. People thus see what i am doing and also see the magazines and catalogs I look at and keep on my work bench. Since i rebuild old guns and am often making obsolete parts there, word gets around. Often, when it is an obscure part like a spring or something and people ask what i am making, I tell them "A part for my telescope" since I also make my own telescopes, but sometimes you just cant hide it (ie: drilling out a broken nipple on an old Colt cylinder).
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

For my non-gun owning friends and acquaintances they don't ask as they simply know I have more than one. Enemies wouldn't bother to ask simply because I wouldn't answer.

A couple of weeks ago I rolled through Canada customs at Windsor, Ontario. Because I was empty they decided to X-ray the truck. Once that was completed two agents crawled up into the cab/sleeper to look things over while a third stood with me and my dog outside. Of course the two inside see all my reading literature (Constitutional topics, gun magazines, gun catalogs, etc.). A quick shout out to the agent with me on her walkie talkie prompts her to begin asking me questions.

- Are you a gun owner? ...Yes
- How many do you own? ... Several
- What kinds? ... Varies
- Are you a CCW holder? ... No
- Do you carry CCW? ... No
- Do you have any firearms with you in the truck? ... No

After pretty much going through the truck and not finding anything they are satisfied. They try to explain themselves and I reply that it's no big deal. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Canada is no longer my home and other than the fact that my wife is still here I'd have no reason to come here if I had my druthers.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

"Why do you ask?" for the nice folks.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

When I was younger I used to answer the question of how many guns do you have with "Not enough". Now, it really depends on who I'm talking to. Most of the time though I won't tell them at all. It's my business and no one else's. I figure there's no benefit to putting information out to the general public as to what may or may not be in my house.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Like others, it depends:

People I don't know well: "That's none of your business"

People I know well: "More than I need but not as many as I want"

Very close friends and family: "A bunch".

Only person who knows the exact count is Y2K - not even the Mrs. (especially not the Mrs. :wink: ) knows!!! :shock:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

As others have said, it all depends on the asker, their attitude, and my mood.

However I honestly can't remember the last time I was asked that question. I don't discuss my private life with co-workers or strangers. And in most of the jobs I've had I've not had time to sit and read gun magazines and so forth, so the subject rarely comes up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

"I'm sure that information is on a need to know basis." Said in a friendly slightly humorous manner.

I believe I have answered - Everybody I know has enough for everybody else I know.

Truth is, I don't know and I counted them last week. :P
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:"I'm sure that information is on a need to know basis." Said in a friendly slightly humorous manner.
Fred,
I KNOW you've kissed the Blarney Stone, but I have not. :wink: :lol:

I should add that I sometimes say, "Why? How many have you got?" I guess it is my tone which, you've pointed out, is very important, because the conversation generally goes downhill from there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Depending on the circumstance, I'll either say someting vague, like "a couple" or "not that many", or something more provocative, like "not as many as I'd like" or "more than the liberals think I should have."

My biggest problem is that I live with my parents, and my father feels compelled to randomly announce to anybody in earshot that I have "all kinds of guns." He likes to tell people that I hunt woodchucks "with an AK-47." I keep telling him it's a Bushmaster 223 rifle, which is a common varmint round.

One time we had a deputy at the house to take a report on some items stolen from our garage. He made some remark about keeping the house locked, and my father replied, "Oh, we keep it locked up all the time. He has a whole bunch of guns, all over the house." They are all in my room. Anyway, the deputy looked at me and said, "You own alot of guns?" His tone wasn't exactly inquisitive, and not exactly accusatory. I just gave him a blank look and said, "Some." He stared at me for what seemed like ten minutes, really just a couple of seconds, then started his cruiser and drove away. So now I'm probably on some list of local nutjobs. Thanks, dad.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Roll your eyes skyward, start counting on your fingers, the answer is "At least one"
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

I've seen this answer in other places . . .

"How many guns do you have?"

"Since you're asking me a personal question, I'll ask you this--how many 'marital aids' do you have?" (Supposedly, this is very effective when asked of a woman--if you don't get slapped first. I've never tried it--never had to.)
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

There was a local high-school student who competed on Jeopardy maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It is filmed in some big city, maybe NYC, and whenever the locals found out she was from a small midwestern town, they would always ask, "do you know anyone who owns a gun?" Her usual reply was "I'm not sure I know anyone who DOESN'T own a gun." She generally received a wide-eyed stare in response.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The problem unique to guns vs. other collections and hobbies, is that guns are not only highly sought after by thieves (but so are cameras, coins, and many other things people collect), but also highly sought after by despots and their wannabes.

The other problem is rumor and exaggeration. If you tell someone you have six firearms, they may say 'six' when they tell their friend, but then THAT person hears someone telling about someone who owns forty firearms, so they drop your name but say 'sixty' instead of 'six'. Even worse, they may distort the type of firearms you have. Maybe you have a couple beat-up but shootable leverguns and a 10/22 with a couple extended magazines, but after a few such 'translations' the would-be thief gets told you have half a dozen collector-grade Winchesters, including one owned by Custer himself, and the would-be-gestapo guy gets told you have a 'machine gun'.

If it weren't for those factors, I think gun owners would be more comfortable asking that question, despite it naive rudeness. It wouldn't be any different then than asking grandma how many first-edition china plates she has collected, or grandpa how many books of Indian head pennies he's completed.

I think that flippant answers or put-offs tend to actually just create the impression that you have lots of guns and makes rumors MORE likely, so when asked, I answer truthfully, that I have a gun safe that holds 12 guns, and when I try to fit more than that in it, I need to do some trading or selling. That seems to give them an answer that 'fits' and makes them happy. Sometimes I forget to mention that I have another gun safe that I 'trade' them back and forth from. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I was always taught that a man never asks how many cows a rancher has. I apply this to all my conversations. Many people now days didn't seem to get any schooling in manners or politeness. Older folks did.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

"None of your business and not nearly enough."

Dave
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Their Question: "How many guns do you own?"
My Response: "Try taking them away, and I'll show you."
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Take out a notebook or (borrow his if you don't have one) write down the date his name, address, and phone number, ask if you do not know. Then explain that there have been several robberies in the last few months and that the police have asked all gun owners to report any unusual questions about gun ownership. :mrgreen:
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I usually tell a moderate lie and say 3. 3 firearms covers all of my hunting and target shooting needs.

My collection is modest, but not even my wife nor my brother knows the real number
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DBW wrote: A couple of weeks ago I rolled through Canada customs at Windsor, Ontario. Because I was empty they decided to X-ray the truck. Once that was completed two agents crawled up into the cab/sleeper to look things over while a third stood with me and my dog outside. Of course the two inside see all my reading literature (Constitutional topics, gun magazines, gun catalogs, etc.). A quick shout out to the agent with me on her walkie talkie prompts her to begin asking me questions.

- Are you a gun owner? ...Yes
- How many do you own? ... Several
- What kinds? ... Varies
- Are you a CCW holder? ... No
- Do you carry CCW? ... No
- Do you have any firearms with you in the truck? ... No
A patient of mine spent jail time, has a permanent 'firearms felony' record, and lost his job, all because he had a gun in his vehicle when he went into New Jersey on unexpected business - he was in a rental car, travelling for work, and they told him something had come up and that instead of returning to home from wherever he was, he was to go meet someone in Newark or some place, and during a 'routine stop for seatbelt check' a cop noticed some gun magazines (the paper kind) on his seat, so they searched the car and found the gun in his suitcase locked in the trunk (it was an EVIL gun because it was in a suitcase with a 50-round box of HOLLOWPOINTS - I guess in NJ, there are additional penalties levied for EACH round of hollowpoint handgun you are in possession of). The court said the search was 'reasonable' because the officer felt 'intimidated' by having to deal with a person who had such literature in his vehicle, and could be armed.

When I was dispatching for a trucking company one of the drivers was late on a delivery because the cop at the weigh station noticed he had a Shotgun News in his cab. He said the cop picked it up, leafed through it, and came up and asked "Is this your magazine?" He thought maybe the cop was a fellow gun-guy, and wanted to borrow it or something, but when he said "Yes" the cop told him to pull over into a side area, because they were going to have to search his truck. He told us that despite a light rain, they unloaded some of his cargo (furniture - it was a moving company) and rummaged through the trailer, and went through everything up in the cab with a fine tooth comb. He got in trouble with the company for "damaging the customer's goods" and for being late on his delivery. That was also in New Jersey.

And we wonder why some citizens mistrust LEO's...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've never had a stranger ask such a thing, and if they are a friend, chances are very good we go shooting together and they know anyway....... BTW, IMO, if a gun thief is asking, the answer "some" or "just a couple" is all he wants to know.....what advantage do you think your getting by playing down the number?? Just askin' and I guess I'm not that worried about that. It's the Gubment I worry about.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

bsaride wrote:Roll your eyes skyward, start counting on your fingers, the answer is "At least one"

I've done that!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

How about this.
Their Question: "How many guns do you own?"
Response: "Counting the one in my pocket?"

:lol: :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

People that know me know I have some guns. They don't ask how many because they have manners.

It's nobody's frickin business how many guns you have or don't have.

If someone asked me, "how many guns have ya got Ed" - I'd say none of yer business no matter who did the asking.
ED
Yer never too old
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rhead wrote:Take out a notebook or (borrow his if you don't have one) write down the date his name, address, and phone number, ask if you do not know. Then explain that there have been several robberies in the last few months and that the police have asked all gun owners to report any unusual questions about gun ownership. :mrgreen:
I like that...! :twisted: :evil: :lol:

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:.....what advantage do you think your getting by playing down the number?? Just askin' and I guess I'm not that worried about that. It's the Gubment I worry about.

The only people who ask me this question are raving liberals, as far as i know, i dont associate with too many thieves myself, and i would rather avoid unnecessary debate with hard headed people about why i do what i do.
----- Doug
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The answer I have used for many, many years to the "how many" question is;
"Ask my wife." BTW she does know how many we have, or at least close, because about 1/4 of them are hers. Oh yeah, people don't ask her those kinds of questions mainly because you don't as grandma that kind of question.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I very seldom have anyone ask the "question" of me. However the last time I got called for jury duty the Asst. States Attorney had all those being selected as a potential juror in the case I would have been in fill out a questionair about what magazines I subscribed to, organizations I belong to and some other things. Nothing about owning guns, but when she interviewed me she made the statement you seem to like guns. I answered I did, She then asked if I liked shooting them, again yes. It seemed she wanted to ask how many, but didn't. It did get me excluded in this selection process. Which wasn't a bad thing. It was a currently serving time convict and I was recently retired from working at a local prison, he hadn't been at mine yet. But it proved interesting as you do have to answer their questions if asked. As a rule I never volunteer any information when questioned on such things. Too many people talk themselves into trouble.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Nobody has ever asked me, but I'll just say "None." No sense in giving someone any ideas.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I've only been asked by other gun owners, but my answer to the unwashed would be, "at least one for every occasion".
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

When I saw the topic the first question that popped into my mind was " Do you have an extra deer rifle I can borrow? My wife has decided to try hunting and she didn't like my 300 winnie.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A liberal at work asked me a while back. I said that if she would come shooting with me sometime, then I would let her find out for herself why that was not a question to ask of anyone. She declined.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: It's the Gubment I worry about.
...but surely they wouldn't do anyone any harm, would they? Last I saw (prof. R.J. Rummel's Univ. Hawaii website) governments in more 'enlightened' nations ONLY killed about 5,000 of their citizens every day, whereas our 'lax' gun laws in the U.S. are associated with a criminal homicide and accident rate of nearly THIRTY citizens per day. So, obviously 'criminals' are to be feared, whereas gun-grabbing gubment's are not dangerous at all...

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I usually answer: " a couple hundred or so". That way nobody believes me.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

How many guns do you have?
My std. answer is,"Not enough!"
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

coyote nose wrote:I get asked frequently "How many guns do you have?" by non gun owning friends/enemies/acquaintences. How do you guys handle this? I went from saying "Not enough", to saying "Oh just a few" to my current answer of "Thats like me asking you how much money you have in your savings account" but that only gets a blank stare and they REALLY dont get it. Sometimes I actually get near the mark and state "Over the years I have owned a lot, but since I have to sell some to buy others at any current time I dont have that many." Obviously I dont want any hoplophobes knowing exactly what i have and besides...it really is always in a state of flux..I sell 2 to buy 1, some are Dads..or are they mine now???? Anyway, just wondered how you handle these clods. PS it would be different when close gun owning buddies get inquisitive, but they know not to ask.
Easy...

"I'm not sure... How about you come with me to the range and try the ones I bring...?"
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Never been asked by someone who doesn't shoot.
To be honest you guys & those at a couple other forums know much more about what I have, how I get it & my interests in general than my neighbors. Most know I own a gun or two & hunt but thats about it.
I'm not sure I could answer without going & counting anyway.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Hobie wrote:"Why do you ask?" for the nice folks.
Great answer - Better than mine - I usually just mumble that I don't know.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

"More than one, a lot less than a hundred... but I'm working on it..."
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

I would respond by saying, "It is not the number of guns, it is how much ammo one has that matters."
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I ignore people who ask what I consider rude questions....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rhead wrote:Take out a notebook or (borrow his if you don't have one) write down the date his name, address, and phone number, ask if you do not know. Then explain that there have been several robberies in the last few months and that the police have asked all gun owners to report any unusual questions about gun ownership. :mrgreen:
I LIKE IT!!!!

Last time I was asked, it was by Canadian Customs/Immigration; and my response, "I don't know." And yes, the conversation went downhill from there!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

"I have One shotgun. It's always loaded... and always pointed at the door"
never tell 'em which door.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

i normally tell them pretty much what iv got but to be honest don't rely now
if thay are L.E thay already no and are prolberly just fishing for info
but sence cun=ming down south i dont think people need to no
(the guy that owns the house im staying at thinks guns should be band
he has never gone shooting or fishing at the age of 28???????
so Im taking him shooting in afew weeks we will see what he thinks then)
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not to hijack this thread, but we've all been talking, for the most part, about the question coming from family, friends, neighbors, acquaintences, etc. - all civilians.

So, how are you going to answer when Obama's Brown Shirts come knocking on your front door? :evil:
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

guns what guns??????
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but we've all been talking, for the most part, about the question coming from family, friends, neighbors, acquaintences, etc. - all civilians.

So, how are you going to answer when Obama's Brown Shirts come knocking on your front door? :evil:
Depends if they have the force of law...... The answer will be "F" Off, but maybe if it's LEOs I might say it nicely :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV