Lever-related rant..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Lever-related rant..

Post by morgan in nm »

Why is it that when somebody asks you to help get their winchester 92 back in one piece, its usually because somebody has ground everything inside, except the reciever, to a point where everything has to be repaired or replaced. I have been working on a friends rifle now for 4 months and had to replace just about all of the internals. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have anything nice. Right now, he has been buying the parts whenever he could afford them but he is leaving everything else up to me and to tell you the truth, I can't really afford them. I still need several internals that numrich is currently out of. I just got done welding the bolt back and reshaping the bottom where somebody tried to convert to some caliber instead of leaving things the way it came and buying a rifle in the caliber they wanted. Right now, I have more time in it than he could afford to pay but, he is a friend so I will probably donate the work.

Well, rant over; I just wish people wouldn't screw up a fine rifle to the point where its darn near worthless.

Thanks, I needed that.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever-related rant..

Post by rjohns94 »

glad you feel better :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

You can't fix stupid. Self proclaimed experts with no credentials give me a pain.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Your a good friend. I get the same stuff from friends and family, I do have them pay for the parts if it's something substantial, but most the time it's small parts that are relatively inexpensive from Numrich. I can fix most of them with a good cleaning :wink:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Must be a day for rants! :wink:

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

You think it is bad with Winchester M-92's just think how bad it is with Colt M-1911"S!!!!

Some danged fools even buy brand new pistols and without ever shooting them to see how well they shoot, the immediately ship them off to the gunsmith of the month for two or three thousand dollars of useless bells and whistles added to the pistols , plus a "reliability package" that probably is not needed!

In a way, I can half way underestand why so many folks tinkered with Model 92's over the years. They have not always been available in the calibers many people wanted, and for many years were just flat out hard to find.

But in general, I agree, if a fellow wants a rifle in a particular caliber, he should buy a rifle in that caliber if it is available and leave a fine old rifle alone. Then again rifles are not always available in the calibers a fellow wants, and custom built rifles are not precisely cheap. Not all of us have gunsmith friends who will basically build us a rifle for cost of parts.

Quite frankly I believe the rage for custom and customized firearms has gotten out of hand, and way too mayn people think they no better than the professionals when it comes to the functioning of firearms.

So rant on amigo. It won't make any difference but it will releave some of your frustration.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

the guy sounds very lucky to call you a friend! friends that go out on a limb like your stating you've done already is hard to come by........AMEN for good men left in this world.. :D
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

morgan in nm wrote: . . . somebody has ground everything inside, except the reciever, to a point where everything has to be repaired or replaced.
The same people that do the grinding on their 92s feel compelled to take their made-in-China $5.99 Wal-Mart screwdriver set and use it to remove and replace or just tighten every screw on a new-to-them firearm, whether or not the screwdriver fits the screw head.

Noah, still in RANT mode
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

morgan in nm -

I understand where you're coming from with your rant BUT how many times have we/you advised someone to modify the internal parts of their rifles for various things -- caliber changes, trigger pull, etc..? Kind of a Catch 22 event. I wonder how many have ranted about internal changes that we/you have advised people to make.

I kinda get the idea that your rant is a 50/50 proposition -- 50% against the internals parts and 50% against your friend that may be taking advantage of you.

Good post though. I've run across the same thing with a few guns I've had over the years.
ED
Yer never too old
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I feel your pain. Look at it this way...how much would YOU PAY to attend gunsmith school?

Feel better? :D

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun