OT- About time/range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- About time/range report

Post by Andrew »

Well, it's been awhile in coming but recently I was able to get enough stuff together to start hand loading some ammo. I only have what I need for .45LC but plan to move on to some more pistol calibers, the 7.62x54R and of course the .30WCF. It is pretty cool makin' your own ammo and every bit of fun I thought it would be. A tad more time consuming but fun none the less. I must admit, I did not trim any brass before reloading mainly due to the fact I have no trimmer. I will get one soon though. Cool thing #2: I sent my cylinder off to the CylinderSmith for some throat corrections 'cause turns out mine were measuring about .4507. :shock: It came back slick as a whistle so I knew this weekend was the weekend I had been waiting for. Ok I guess that's enough jabber, here's the skinny....

Range: 25'
NM Blackhawk 7.5" .45LC
200gr .452 LRN hardcast
CCI 300 LP Primer
4.8/5.0gr Clays
Magtech once-fired brass

The 4.8gr load was alright. It shot pretty good but had some pretty good sooting on the cases and unburnt powder flakes inside. IIRC that is some signs of too low of pressure?

The pic is of the 3rd set of five from the 5.0gr batch. I shot that snuggled up bunch with 1-4 and stressed over the last shot hoping for more magic only to botch it with a flyer. 1.125" with the flyer, .5" w/out. I was shooting from a sitting position resting my left arm on my left knee trying to simulate something I would do while hunting. I then moved back to 100'(33 1/3yds) and put 5 in less than 5" on a plastic bucket standing up completely unsupported. I was stoked. Not great, but a lot better than any of the shooting I had done before.

With any luck I will be smacking those paper plates with enough authority in the next 34 weeks that I will be able to take it out during deer season. That's kind of my agenda: I want to be a legitimate handgun hunter. A good one.

Well to sum it all up, I'm super happy about getting my sixgun lined out and blasting away some home grown ammo. Did I say stoked already? Well, I am stoked. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- About time/range report

Post by JReed »

Great job on the loads. :D Its always better when you can say that you made them aint it?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Andrew wrote: I then moved back to 100'(33 1/3yds) and put 5 in less than 5" on a plastic bucket standing up completely unsupported. I was stoked. Not great, but a lot better than any of the shooting I had done before.
With any luck I will be smacking those paper plates with enough authority in the next 34 weeks that I will be able to take it out during deer season. That's kind of my agenda: I want to be a legitimate handgun hunter. A good one.
I don't think you'll have a problem! Get a heavy steel gong about the size of that pie plate and hang it at 75-100 yards, and I'll bet you'll ring it five of every six shots before long, and likely six.

...of course everyone knows that .44 Mag isn't "powerful" enough for deer... :lol: :lol:
I keep trying to demonstrate that, but the deer around here won't cooperate - they just keep falling over dead when I shoot them with one... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Nice group!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

JReed wrote:Great job on the loads. :D Its always better when you can say that you made them aint it?
+1!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D GOOD JOB ANDREW !! :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great report - thank you!
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

:mrgreen: It makes me excited to see someone else so excited about getting out to shoot.....congrats
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew -

Congratulations on your foray into reloading. It is every bit as addictive as shooting and collecting. You've started another lifetime pursuit!!! :D

Given you load I would have been surprised if the cases weren't a bit sooty. No big deal - not enough to hamper the function of the gun, and both the gun and the cases will clean up fine.