BP revolving rifle questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

BP revolving rifle questions

Post by awp101 »

Well, Sanity Claus and the Birthday Fairy dropped some presents off today. Venturino's lever action book, the SPG BP reloading guide thingie and an Uberti 1858 revolving rifle.

I can figure the first two out, it's the last bit I have a couple of questions about. :lol:

First, I have two Pietta 1858 revolvers and an R&D conversion cylinder. This cylinder probably won't work in the Uberti since, well, it's not a Pietta and that's how the cylinder was sold. Am I thinking correctly on this point?

Second, I picked up some of the Pyrodex .44 Pistol Pellets to try out in my other revolvers. (I know, it's cheating and bad juju but I figured it was worth trying out just for the sake of trying out. :wink: ) Since this is a rifle (granted, based upon a revolver action) would I be taking chances using the pistol pellets in the rifle?

Am I offbase on any of my thoughts? Am I overthinking things?

Thanks! :)
Last edited by awp101 on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It should have came with an operator manual. I would stick with their recomendations.
Don`t hold your off hand foreward of the cylinder when you shoot it. You could have bad burns and lead under the skin! :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

It did and I read it BUT it's the generic "revolver" manual, nothing specific about the rifle version. In fact, I don't recall the manual saying anything other than "22-30 grains of powder", not even a recommendation of FFFg. BP is still a new thing to me so I figured the wise thing to do would be to ask. :lol:

IIRC the pistol pellets are 30g but I'll check next time I have everything out. My concern was the extra barrel length when using the pistol propellants.

I don't have any idea what the differences in the conversion cylinders might be between the two brands... :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

For the most part it is just a 1858 revolver. They are mechanicaly the same. I would say that the pellets should be no problem and for lose powder use 3Fg You should be able to use up to about 35grains if you dont use an over powder wad but with the longer Bbl I would recomend a greas cookie.

Dont be to concerned with rifle and pistol grade powders if it makes you feel better I use Pyrodex P and 3F Goex in my .50cal Renegade with great results.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

If you can find them , the 25 gr pellets work very good.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As Jeremy said, this is basically a Remington 1858 New Model Army with a long barrel and carbine butt stock. The Uberti and Pietta reproductions are not interchangeable, so the cylinders won't swap. Just be sure you do not put your off-hand in front of the cylinder like you'd hold a forearm stock with a regular carbine. The danger of a chain-fire detonation, even with every precaution, is simply too great.

Post some pictures when you can. Congratulations!!! :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks for the info all! :D

I wasn't sure if the action was beefed up from the revolver or not, so it's good to know that it's not. Looks like I get to spend more money to get the correct cylinder as well... lol:

I'll be sure to keep the hand away from the cylinder front. I don't want to be known as Stumpy....:shock:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BTW, no pics before this weekend darn it. :wink:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That was a major complaint about the Colt revolving rifles and muskets. Every once in a while more than one chamber would go or, more often, there would be some splatter from the barrel/cylinder gap and injuries would result.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Hobie wrote:That was a major complaint about the Colt revolving rifles and muskets. Every once in a while more than one chamber would go or, more often, there would be some splatter from the barrel/cylinder gap and injuries would result.

Yep. It can happpen with any C&B revolver,it happened to me once.
Failure to follow proper loading procedures. You MUST use either a lubed felt wad under the ball, or pack the loaded cylinders with grease (TC Bore Butter, Crisco, etc) before you shoot.

Fortunately, there was no damage to the gun, and usually isn't as the charge is ignited 'from the wrong end', and LRB's are reletively soft.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

REMINGTON REVOLVING RIFLE

Post by blueroan »

Mike Bellieveau aka Bottom Dealin' Mike did an article in SHOOT! magazine's black powder book on the Remington and its replicas. Lots of good information and a nice short story as a lead in.

If you remember Robert Uhrich in THE LAZARUS MAN western, he used a Remington revolving carbine in one episode.

WATCH THE OFF HAND--GRIP IT LIKE A TWO HANDED REVOLVER HOLD!!
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

cutter wrote:You MUST use either a lubed felt wad under the ball, or pack the loaded cylinders with grease (TC Bore Butter, Crisco, etc) before you shoot.
I use the pre-lubed Wonder Wads. At least until I run out and figure out how to make my own...:D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

awp101 wrote:
cutter wrote:You MUST use either a lubed felt wad under the ball, or pack the loaded cylinders with grease (TC Bore Butter, Crisco, etc) before you shoot.
I use the pre-lubed Wonder Wads. At least until I run out and figure out how to make my own...:D

I've a steel 45 acp case that has been sharpend, hammer it throught one of those cheap felt sheets that is in the Wal Mart craft dept. Lube it with whatever ( I throw mine in a skillet with molten Crisco, drain, then put in ziplocks for later ), and shoot. I had to drill the flash hole out so the wads could be pushed out with a nail. You can buy punches for this purpose, but I'm cheap.
Last edited by cutter on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Those are lots of fun! I've even carried mine during "Doe Season". I use the Pyrodex pellets in mine all the time. I use the pistol bullets made by Buffalo Bullet Co. with a felt wad underneath for better accuracy.