Refinished Marlin 1889 SRC, value?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Refinished Marlin 1889 SRC, value?

Post by awp101 »

I may list my antique .38-40 Marlin 1889 SRC soon and I'm trying to get a feel for pricing. It's a solid little shooter but other priorities have taken over.

I don't have pics of it right now but it has been refinished sometime in it's past and the wood varnished. IIRC the serial indicates either 1892 or 1894 production.

What kind of ballpark should I be looking at? $500-600? Lower? Higher?

Thanks and I'll get pics up within the next day or two.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Refinished Marlin 1889 SRC, value?

Post by marlinman93 »

I think that's a pretty close estimate of what it might go for. I'd like to see a picture if you emailed me. Maybe I could get closer then?-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

I'll be looking for the listing. I might be interested to get this SRC to go along with the Baby Carbine that I already have that's also in .38-40. You going to list it here??

Geoff
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

AWP, I think it's worth about $300. Where do I send the money. :lol:
Old Law Dawg
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

kimwcook wrote:AWP, I think it's worth about $300. Where do I send the money. :lol:
Sounds like me only I'd have offered $100 shipped! :lol:

Thanks, I'll get pics up tonight. Yes, if I decide to do it I'll list here first. :wink:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, here's the pics:
1889-1.jpg
1889-2.jpg
1889-3.jpg
1889-4.jpg
Serial is 634XX (1892 production I believe), d&t for tang sight, buttplate blued instead of CCH, "Marlin Safety" on top (tried to get a decent pic) and Fair bore with pitting. The only thing I've put through it is 2-3 boxes of CAS loads from Black Hills and maybe Ultramax.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Anyone have more info now that the pics are up? :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Awp101,
It looks to be a "clean" gun but..............(I'm not running it down, I say it like it is :D ) but like you said, its had a total refinish. The gun appears to all original as to sights, bands, etc, but the one thing that bothers me is the buffing of the receiver. I can see the areas on the frame where the screws go are "dished out" and this is an almost impossible fix. Even with a quality resto, those items stand out.

If a gun has been reblued/but not buffed and the stock refinished/but not sanded, it still hurts but not as much as a sanded/buffed gun.

Because the gun is a "big bore" caliber, it adds to the appeal. If the mechanics are solid, along with solid wood, and a good overall appearance with no heavy buffing, (all markings easily legible), no bluing over major pitting, decent wood-to-metal fit, I would value it around 7-8 at retail. If the gun was mine and the above criteria was met, I would not take less than 6.----------Your call----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sixgun wrote:Awp101,
It looks to be a "clean" gun but..............(I'm not running it down, I say it like it is :D ) but like you said, its had a total refinish.
No problem! :lol:

Like I said, I'm not real sure how to price this due to the refinish. Gunbroker wasn't much help because the few carbines I saw weren't refinished, just rode hard and put up wet with starting prices over $1K (and I don't think any had sold). I was guesstimating the $500-600 range due to the refinish, bore condition and buggered screws but I want to price it fairly so I can move it.

Plus all the CAS guys want one, right? :lol:

If I do list it, it'll be this weekend (along with a couple of other goodies. Maybe something with a lever in .32H&R... :wink: )
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

After seeing your pictures I still think your price estimate of $500-$600 would stand. The things Sixgun mentioned are all true, but if it was redone and there wasn't over polishing, and the lever, hammer, buttplate were cased properly, we wouldn't be talking $500-$600. A correct restoration would make it worth twice that or more.
It's still a very decent shooter, and a great gun for someone wanting a real 1889 SRC to enjoy.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You got some detailed and analytical feedback, but as just another 'gun guy' who would go more by gut feeling, I'd just say I'd not want to part with over $600 for it unless I was already into that cartridge, but If I walked by it at a gun show and it was $400 or less, I'd be borrowing money from whoever was with me so as not to leave without it. I know that range is lower than what the other guys said, but just thought some uneducated feedback might balance things.

To me, the gun would be a 'shooter' since refinished anyway (even my 1889 Marlin family heirloom gets shot, scratched, and dinged), so your potential buyer will probably not be a collector as much as a shooter, so will not be comparing it to his/her alternative buy of some $1100 vintage specimen as much as comparing it to the .35 Remington or whatever is on the used rack down at the gun shop.

I agree that if it were mine, I'd NOT sell it for less than $600, though!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "