OT- Best Cold Blue?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Best Cold Blue?

Post by .45colt »

Hello All, many years (30+) ago I used cold blue to rescue a shotgun that was left in a basement for years.for the life of Me I can't rember what kind it was but it has lasted and still looks good. It looks like there may be another needy gun soon. anyone have a favorite cold blue that works like it should? Thanks. Jim.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Best Cold Blue?

Post by TX Gun Runner »

.45colt wrote:Hello All, many years (30+) ago I used cold blue to rescue a shotgun that was left in a basement for years.for the life of Me I can't rember what kind it was but it has lasted and still looks good. It looks like there may be another needy gun soon. anyone have a favorite cold blue that works like it should? Thanks. Jim.
This almost as good as hot blue and wear like org . watch video

http://www.bluewonder.us/
Image..Image
Image......Image
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

Brownells Oxpho-Blue works well for me.
Unreconstructed
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Another vote for Brownells Oxpho-Blue. I've tried several different cold blues over the years and it is hands down the best I've used.
NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've just used Hoppe's 9 Gun Blue, did an OK job on the barrel and mag tube but not so good on the receiver. Years ago I used 44/40 gun blue and had excellent results at the time.

That "Blue Wonder" looks interesting I'll have to see if it's available over here.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Super Blue is what I have liked best - never tried Blue Wonder
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I use Oxpho-Blue. However I think the instructions for use are not very good. They claim it works fine even with the surface having oil on it. I found that the bluing takes MUCH better if you really get that sucker clean first, like with Brownells TCE degreaser.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Oxpho Blue! Be sure to not get the surface too fine when you polish it. I don't go over 240 grit, as finer grit doesn't get as nice a result.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Another vote for Brownells Oxpho Blue. :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Oxpho Blue for me too -- but get the Cream formulation, not the liquid.

The cream doesn't "run" as it is thicker-er, for lack of a better word (sorta like maple syrup -- just don't lick it!). For rounded parts as commonly found on guns, you cannot beat the cream.

Also, like another posted said, degrease it first and I found that heating the part with a light bulb or blow dryer also helps.

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I got some odd coloration with Oxpho Blue.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I've used a couple different brands before and was never impressed with any of them. I was at a gun show about 15-20 years ago an a old gentleman at a table had a few bottles of Vans Instant Gun Blue sitting there. I was thinking I needed some cold blue for touch ups and the 4oz bottle was $5.79. He swore it was the best he'd ever used, I'd done quite a bit of business with him before, and he'd never steered me wrong before. He was right, it's been the best cold blue I've ever seen. The company is still in business (C. S. Van Gorden & Son, Inc.) but don't know if they still produce it.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Oxpho-Blue is my favorite, followed closely by the Birchwood-Casey formulation. But to tell the truth, you'll find that where one will do a great job on Gun A, it may give mediocre or lousy results on Gun B. It has a lot to do, I believe, with the exact steel you're dealing with.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

There's no set answer. I've just just about all of them and what works well on one gun doesn't work well on another. Oxpho Blue IS a good place to start though.
Slow is just slow.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Another vote for Van's Gun Blue...has worked very well for me everytime!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis