Puma blow back

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Puma blow back

Post by ndcowboy »

I just bought a Puma M92 44 carbine on gunbroker. I love the little rifle and how it handles, but I've noticed that if I shoot it without glasses, it is spitting something (pressure, lead, powder, ????) back into my eyes. Is this normal, or do I have to have the little rifle checked out?
Thanks in advance
Hobie

Re: Puma blow back

Post by Hobie »

Are you using full-power .44 Mag loads or something less? I guess I ASSUMED it was a .44 Mag and not a .44 WCF (.44-40). The same question begs though. The cowboy loads are extremely low pressure. When I used them in my Rossi .45 Colt 92 it appeared that the rifle had a fair sized fire in the action! There was a LOT of smoke issuing from every crevice but not so much from the barrel. The cases just won't obturate at low pressures. Run that gun with higher pressure levels and the smoking goes away.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having heard about some of the Puma rifles having slightly oversized bores, it soulds like Hobie hit the nail on the head. I have never run anything less than factory pressure in my .480 Puma (kinda a glutton for punishment thing going on here) and it has never spit anything backwards. I would suggest that if you can't fix the problem with a little hotter loads, then slug the bore to find out it's true diameter and get the bullets to fit.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What Hobie said ^^^^.

There is a point to which you can reduce the loads and still have the cases expand to seal the chamber. Past that you'll get blow back. I've had the same trouble with my .45 Colt lever guns. Normal pressures, say over 12K PSI will seal really good. Any loads below that and it gets real distracting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

That probably explains things. I am running fairly light loads. I'm handloading 200 grain lead bullets over 6.4 grains of Unique (Per Lee Reloading Manual). I guess I might have to spice them up a bit. Thanks guys.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Another factor is your brass. I've found that Remington brass is the thinnest and takes less pressure to expand. Federal and Starline require the most pressure with Winchester in the middle.
So I tend to use R-P brass when I load lighter loads, seems to help a bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

ndcowboy wrote:That probably explains things. I am running fairly light loads. I'm handloading 200 grain lead bullets over 6.4 grains of Unique (Per Lee Reloading Manual). I guess I might have to spice them up a bit. Thanks guys.
It may only take say a 1/5grn more to seal it!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

WEAR GLASSES!!! You only get one set of eyes and they're not bulletproof (so to speak). If something happens, you get no do-overs. Wear glasses!
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:WEAR GLASSES!!! You only get one set of eyes and they're not bulletproof (so to speak). If something happens, you get no do-overs. Wear glasses!
+2
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:WEAR GLASSES!!! You only get one set of eyes and they're not bulletproof (so to speak). If something happens, you get no do-overs. Wear glasses!
1. if you have soot on the case sides, that's a really good sign the underpressure phenomenon is what's happening.

2. since 'safety glasses' are often kind of cheap, ill-fitting junk, if I didn't have to wear 'real' glasses all the time anyway, I'd have some decent frames and 'blank' non-corrective lenses (polycarbonate or whatever the 'safety' stuff is) put in them. You might even find that some options like UV-shielding, yellow anti-haze tinting, or whatever would make it easier to see and shoot anyway. That way you'd not feel like you're putting on cheap junk that makes it harder to see, but actually something beneficial (aside from protecting your eyes, that is).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Griff wrote:
+2
+3
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

When I shoot .44 Specials in my Puma (handloads of 255 gr., .430" with a med light load of Unique) I get the sooty cases and an occational whisp of smoke from the receiver. I slugged the bbl. of my Puma and got .431" to .432", and when I load "normal" mag rounds with .4325" boolits she shoots just fine. Now if I could only see that rear sight! :)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

SAVE THOSE PEEPERS!!! Hard to see without them!! :o
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You will get more blow-back with the Special cases than the mag cases.
Try using a .431" lead bullet. My Puma/44 groups and shoots the best with a Laser-cast 240 gr. SWC.

When I really get serious, I load up the 240 gr. jacketed soft points with a near-max load of H110 or 296. :wink:
I shoot the same loads in my Ruger/44 SBH three screw.

Makes for a nice Combo.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

ndcowboy wrote:That probably explains things. I am running fairly light loads. I'm handloading 200 grain lead bullets over 6.4 grains of Unique (Per Lee Reloading Manual). I guess I might have to spice them up a bit. Thanks guys.
Please report on the results of that! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Yup, I do wear glasses when I target shoot, but that isn't very often. But when it is in the pickup and I stop to take a shot at a rabbit, skunk, etc., I'd like to be able to shoot without. I know a lot of people take a gun to a range and can go completely prepared for shooting, but out here, I can carry a gun for a week and never use it, and then need it three times in an hour.
Anyway, I'm going to load the next batch heavier and see what happens.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I would like to respectfully suggest that you keep a pair of glasses handy in the pickup, for just those times when opportunity presents itself.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville