OT - Top Ten Unforgettable Movie Scenes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Top Ten Unforgettable Movie Scenes

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, these could be great gunfights, or other scenes that have some unforgettable quality.

They should stand alone, i.e., it shouldn't be necessary to see the whole movie to appreciate the scene. It doesn't have to be integral to the plot or anything like that. An example might be the famous shower scene in "Psycho".

Mine is probably the mailman scene in "3 Days of the Condor".
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Top Ten Unforgettable Movie Scenes

Post by Old Ironsights »

The Levergun Scene in Streets of Fire
The "thumb" scene in The Presidio
The destruction of Neo Tokyo in Akira
The bathroom/suicide/murder scene from Full Metal Jacket
The "toilet" scene from Pulp Fiction
The "where's my gun" scene from Kuffs
The Taiko Drum scene from Ricksha Man
The death of the Ronin from Sanjuro
The Death of the Consumptive Samauri from Zatoichi
The death of the two princesses from RAN...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

How about Planet of the Apes, the scene when Heston speaks for the first time, and then also the last scene where he sees the Statue of Liberty.
Klondike
Levergunner

Post by Klondike »

I know there are more, but the first to pop to mind is from the Indiana Jones Movies
First one, big guy in a turban and wielsing a big knife, Indiana Jones smiles and pulls his pistol and shoots (don't bring a knife to gun fight)
Second one, same basic scene, but when reaches for his pistol it is not there (his face says "Oh stuff"
both good scenes and need nothing else to supprt them.
There are two theories to arguing with Cowtown Katy, neither one seems to work for me.
http://stores.ebay.com/cowtownkatysemporium
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

how about ,monte walsh when sellec rides the bronc thru town down side walks/thru windows,wrecks the town.
or jeremia johnson when will geer rolls thru the cabin window with a grizz right behind and calls out "you skin that one and i'll bring you another.
or in we were soldiers when a recruit complains to seargent major sam shepard that he did not have a rifle issued to him and was told , just wait till the shooting starts there will be plenty laying on the ground.
have to think alittle more.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

The "welcome to Parris Island" scene in Full Metal Jacket.

...and the dougnut scene.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

The Good The Bad and The Ugly.....Eli Wallach's scene in the tub..."if you're gonna shoot, shoot.........don't talk".
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

The scene in The Searchers When Ethan (John Wayne) and Martin (Jeffrey Hunter), have to turn back for the winter. Martin says "Do you thnk we'll ever find them, Uncle Ethan?" and Ethan replies, "We'll find then. Just as sure as the turnin' of the Earth!"

The line has always symblized true determination to me.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

The scene in Last of the Dogmen when Lewis Gates (Tom Berenger) and Lillian Sloan (Barbara Hershey) first meet the indians, and the scene in Dances with Wolves near the end when Wind in His Hair (Rodney A Grant) is up on the cliff and calls out to Dances with Wolves (Kevin Costner) to tell him they will be friends forever, at about this time in the movie I am about ready to shoot anything with a blue coat on, even if it does destroy the T V. Can never watch either of these movies without coming away feeling emotional and Spiritual, no other movie does that to me.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

In Lonesome Dove Call's reaction to the Calvery procurer taking a quirt to Newt.
In the River of No Return when the kid shoots the bag guy in the back to save his dad.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Jaws- Your gonna need a bigger boat.
Mountain Men- Well what happened? I was killed on course.
Mountain Men- If I don't get some whisky I'm gonna die!!!
Mountain Men- Been a might confused for a month or two, but I was never lost.
Animal House- Food Fight!
Gone with the wind- Frankly my dear, I don't give a darn.
Godfather- Horse head scene.
Godfather- I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Blazing saddles- Camp fire scene
Blazing saddles- Horumph, Horumph
Click Click Boom
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Animal House- Food Fight!
:lol:

Outlaw Josey Wales:
"Indians been sneaking up on white man forever"
"I had to come back. I know. Dyin' ain't much of a livin."
"Seems like when you get to DIS-liking someone they ain't around long neither."
"click, click, click, click..."

Lonesome Dove:
ANY scene with that cute blonde in it!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

John Wayne in "True Grit"... "fill your hand you son of a..."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That line from Jaws has always been one of my favorites.

Henry Fonda in "Once upon a Time In The West"

"People scare better when they're diyin' "

The final showdown between Fonda and
Charles Bronson has always been a favorite.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

Bruce Dern Suicide at the end of "Harry Tracy" (that one always chokes me up)

Doc Holiday shooting Ringo in Tombstone "I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear" Great Scene!

The scene in "The Good,bad and the ugly" where they are singing Dixie because they think Confederate Cavalry is coming and they ride up and the guy slaps his glove against his uniform knocking the dust off and showing blue jackets under all the dust.

Jimmy Stewart in "Fire Creek" putting on the home made Star with Sheriff spelled wrong that his kids made him saying "I won't be apologizing for wearing this anymore" right before he gets into the big shootout with the bad guys.

Also in "Fire Creek" when Jimmy Stewart gets shot to pieces and Henry Fonda tells him to stop shooting because he really doesn't want to kill him but he keeps reloading even though he is shot full of holes and he just won't quit.

Clint Eastwood saying "He should have armed himself, if He's going to decorate his Saloon with my friend" in Unforgiven.

Tom Selleck in Quigley Down Under saying "I said I never had much use for one, I didn't say I didn't know HOW to use one" Talking about 6 shooters after he guns down Marsten and his two gunmen.

Robert Duvall and Michael Caine shooting fish with Shotguns in "Secondhand lions" I thought I was going to die laughing.

Steve McQueen in "Tom Horn" getting mad because his horse gets shot. "You shot my F__king horse!" then blows the guy away.

One movie I can't remember the name of but remember the scene was of a kid who was a trick shooter and a fast draw and pulls his gun to shoot a guy and he says "Did you ever see anything that fast" then "Click" Gun is empty and the other guy says "Didn't anyone ever tell you to never holster an unloaded gun?" The kid says"You aren't going to kill me are you?" he then starts screaming NO! as the guy shoots him, Really potent scene but I can't remember the movie, just the scene.
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

What about good old Jack N. in a Few Good Men - "you can't handle the Truth"
all-time favorite.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Quotes:
You gotta ask yourself, do you you feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?
As you wish.
Joe Knox: Aren't you going to give me a pill? Doctor: You got it the old-fashioned way, we cure it the old-fashioned way.
It's good to be the king.
I thought I might just snack on you.
I said I never had much use for a one, never said I didn't know how to use one.
What knockers!
Two dollars, I want my two dollars!
Bueller. Bueller. Bueller.
Sydney Ellen Wade: How do you have patience for people who claim they love America, but clearly can't stand Americans?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Lee Marvin as the drunk "Kid Shaleen" and his horse leaning against the barn in "Cat Ballou"

One of the funniest images I remember. :lol: :lol:

Steve
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

"Chicks did me, because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually something unusual..."
or, from the same guy,
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong, and make my way over to Tibet...Big hitter, the lama...long..."

"Sweep the leg."

"How's the wife and my kids?"

Pharmseller
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

"Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, not only gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. And burn his darn house down!"
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Many scenes in various Steve McQueen films watching his precise moves with his hands or body or the use of props.
The last scene in "The Searchers" when Ethan walks out of the cabin door and clasps his arm to his body, and turns and walks away. His salute to Harry Carey, who made this "bit" famous; for Olive Carey, Harry's wife, and the mother in the film.
In "Smokey and the Bandit, when the Trans Am jumps the river. This scene was filmed before there was any "virtual" computer tricks. The car actually broke the record for distance, but was written off on landing.
All of the stunt driving work in the original "Gone in Sixty Seconds" was for real, no Blue Screen in that one.
In the "African Queen", when Bogart gets out of the river covered with leatches, ugh, I still get chills when I see that one.
The first view of the spaceman in the original "The Thing" when they open the door and it's standing right there. I was about 13 when I saw that film, it nearly scared me to death.
Yakima Knute under the horses' hooves in "Stagecoach".
"Think you used too much dynamite there Butch?"
"Klaatu Barada Nikto".
Last edited by Gun Smith on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:Quotes:...Two dollars, I want my two dollars!...
"Wait a minute... This mountian is covered in SNOW!... Do you know what the street value of this mountian is?

"I'm sorry I blew up your mom..."
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

A couple of my favorites that have not yet been posted:
From "The Outlaw Josey Wales"
"You boys gonna pull them pistols ,or whistle Dixie?

And from "ZULU"
At one hundred yards,volley fire, Present!

creosote
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and don't forget the Star Wars bar scene.

This may not quite qualify, because it was short (more like a moment than a scene) but the time in Chinatown where Roman Polanski sticks his knife into Jack Nicholson's nostril and then slices through it.

Strangely enough they became friends after that, Roman's underage sex event took place at Nicholson's house.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Klondike
Levergunner

Post by Klondike »

Another stand alone scene is from The Magnificent Seven. At the corral James Coburn is leaning against a saddle, two guys are talking about how fast he is with a knife. One cowboy thinks he is faster with the gun, so he challenges Coburn. I think they tried it twice for fun. The cowboy with the gun gets upset because they keep saying he lost, now he wants to try it for real! You know the outcome. Excellent scene, could be in any cowboy movie.
There are two theories to arguing with Cowtown Katy, neither one seems to work for me.
http://stores.ebay.com/cowtownkatysemporium
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

There are many that stick in my mind, but I have one favorite. In the 1948 movie "the Treasure of the Sierra Madre" there are two. The first is when the old prospector Howard, portrayed by Walter Houston, goes into a wild jig after spotting a good gold mining area. The other is the mexican bandit answering the question "where's your badges?" proclaims "Badges! badges! don't need no stinkin' badges!" :lol:
Happy Trails!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Of course one of the most unforgettable scenes is the Chariot scene in Ben Hur. But the scene that helped change my life was in that same Movie. Ben Hur is being marched throught the desert to his death in the Roman Galleys. They stop at a well to drink but Hur is too weak to fight the others for a dipper. He lays down to die and...slowly you see the Shadow of Christ come over him...and a hand comes down to give him a drink of water. The Centurian comes over to beat this person who is saving someone he has been ordered to kill...and the look on his face when he comes face to face with Him, is priceless. That movie and scene helped push me towards a decision for Christ so it is no. 1 for me.

Then you have Lonesome Dove:
Leaving for Old Mexico to gather stock...if that doesn't make you want to saddle up and go on an adventure, your probably dead.
Call running his horse into the mounted Scout, and the ensuing fight
Bar room scene in San Antonio where he whacks the surly bartender
Gus's fight with the Commancheros, firing over his dead horse
Call burying Gus at Clara's Orchard

There are so many unforgettable scenes in that movie......
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Old Ironsights wrote:
The "where's my gun" scene from Kuffs . . .

That's EXCELLENT. One of my all-time favorite movies.

I would add:

The "panzer in the town square" scene from "Kelly's Heroes" where Eastwood, Savalas, and Sutherland walk up the German tank. the way the German sergeant's eyes widen when they tell him what's in the bank . . . classic.

The "Field Marshall Montgomery leads the Britsh Army into Palermo" scene from "Patton," where the pipe band leading the British column abruptly stops when they see Patton's forces all lined up at attention to welcome them. Monty and Patton exchange words, the pipe band starts up with "Scotland the Brave" and the American Army band drowns them out with "Stars and Stripes Forever."

The gunbattle at the end of "The Wild Geese" as the mercenaries fight their way to the DC3. You just know somebody isn't going home . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The scene in "The Longest Day" that shows the helmet moving about as the small wave wash up on the beach. That pretty much summed up the whole movie.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I'm not much one for coming up with "top ten" lists, but wanted to mention the movie "Ronin" with Robert DeNiro, Jean Reno, and Sean Bean. The same plot could have been made as a great Western, with of course, all the tech stuff deleted. Two of the best car chase scenes I have ever seen are in there. Then, there is the scene where the Sean Bean character asks the DeNiro character is he has ever killed anybody, and Deniro, Sam in the movie, answers, "I hurt somebody's feelings once."

Then, later, there is the "What color is the boathouse at Hereford? WHAT COLOR IS THE BOATHOUSE AT HEREFORD?!" This is now a classic among professionals/heavy hitters when an fake, poseur, or someone who has "padded" his resume, is suspected. (Hereford is the home base of the British SAS.) Of course, you gotta say it the Brit way to be authentic, not the way American pronounce the cattle breed. :wink:
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"Open Range"
Some things gnaw at a man worse than dyin.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

Jack Elam, in "Once Upon A Time In The West" sitting at the train station and catching a fly in his gun barrel.
Roughcreek
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Gun Smith wrote: The last scene in "The Searchers" when Ethan walks out of the cabin door and clasps his arm to his body, and turns and walks away. His salute to Harry Carey, who made this "bit" famous; for Olive Carey, Harry's wife, and the mother in the film.

That is a true classic indeed!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Many stand out, but here are a few, not in any particular order:
1. Collateral -- when the 3 street thugs steal Vincent's briefcase and he takes it back...
2. The bank robbery/gunfight scene in "Heat"
3. in "Valdez is Coming," when the hero picks off his pursuers from way atop a mountain with a Sharps
4. In "Cross of Iron," the opening scene when Corporal Steiner (James Coburn) and his recon team on Russian Front infiltrate and destroy a Red Army position.
5. in Platoon, where the "heads" are all talking about killing Sgt. Barnes (the baddest of the bad), and then he shows up in their bunker, having overheard them. :shock: He confronts them about it, challenging them to kill him -- "I understand, y'all loved Elias, you wanna kick some a**... so, kill me. There's six of y'all and only 1 of me, and ain't nobody gonna know... kill me." You can see them all wishing they could be ANYWHERE else just then!
6. Quigley Down Under, the "bucket" scene, where he judges the range, reads the wind, runs up his vernier sight, settles into offhand, and sets his trigger before making the shot... :mrgreen:
7. "I Am Legend" -- when "Sam" (German Shepherd) chases a deer into an abandoned building inhabited by vicious zombie-like critters, and Will Smith is terrified by the overwhelming odds but overcomes his fear and goes in to save his friend anyway -- "Sam, I gotta go... I gotta go...." but then keeps on searching for him...
8. Same movie, when Will Smith sings to Sam while giving him a bath... (yeah, I admit it, I love German Shepherds!! :P )
8. Unforgiven, when Clint Eastwood comes into the saloon with the shotgun to find the guy who killed his friend, and everyone is standing there in shock, until he says "Any man don't wanna get shot, better clear on out the back..." (stampede!)
9. In "Downfall," in the Fuehrer-Bunker as Berlin is encircled, when Hitler is finally forced to realize that he can give orders to his "phantom armies" all he wants, but there are no troops left to save him. (Followed by an epic temper tantrum in German, of course...)
10. A scene in Clint Eastwood's latest, "Gran Torino...", but because it's still new, I won't risk spoiling it for those who might not have seen it yet! :lol:
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The "panzer in the town square" scene from "Kelly's Heroes" where Eastwood, Savalas, and Sutherland walk up the German tank.
and did you notice, as they walk up, you can hear the sound of spurs jingling, and the music is "Fistful of Dollars" style background?
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Funny that my first post on this leverguns forum should be about my favorite movie scenes; but here goes:

The 13th Warrior when Antonio Bandaras' character asks one of the Vikings, "Do we have anything resembling a plan?" His reply: "Yes, ride 'til we find them, then kill them all."

In the movie Zulu when the Brits (Welshmen) at Rorke's Drift were surrounded. After several failed charges the Zulus started to sing praises to the defenders as warriors during a break in the action. The Welshmen responded by singing "Men of Harlech." Chokes me up every time.

Soon 2 retire (name chosen before 401k went 201k)
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

"Shane"........he walks into the Grafton Saloon & sees Wilson, the hired killer, after talking to Emil Meyer. He then focuses on Wilson, saying, "I've heard about you". Wilson says, "What've you heard, Shane?" Shane says, "I've heard you're a low down Yankee liar"............and they both pull, but Shane, naturally being faster, blows Wilson to pieces, splitting his head like an axe thru a melon, fanning three shots from his .45 Colt SAA (darn, those .45s make a mess of people!). Only ONE of my favorites, jd45
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

El Chivo wrote:
The "panzer in the town square" scene from "Kelly's Heroes" where Eastwood, Savalas, and Sutherland walk up the German tank.
and did you notice, as they walk up, you can hear the sound of spurs jingling, and the music is "Fistful of Dollars" style background?
Drinkin a little wine, eatin a little cheese, catchin a few rays.....Donald was great in that movie!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Tycer wrote:
El Chivo wrote:
Drinkin a little wine, eatin a little cheese, catchin a few rays.....Donald was great in that movie!
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty! Always with the negative waves!

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Noah Zark wrote:The gunbattle at the end of "The Wild Geese" as the mercenaries fight their way to the DC3. You just know somebody isn't going home . . .
There's one I haven't watched in way too long.
John in MS wrote:Collateral -- when the 3 street thugs steal Vincent's briefcase and he takes it back...
Yo homie! Is that my briefcase? :lol: A great example of what happens when street bullies run into a trained professional.

Let's see...

The cemetary in Normandy at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan (before the actors show up). All those perfect rows of white grave markers. I can watch any scene in that movie, no matter how violent, and not blink an eye. That scene though gets to me EVERY time.

EL Diablo -
(Anthony Edwards) You shot him in the back!
(Louis Gosset Jr) Well, his back was to me!

Animal House-
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

My advice is to start drinking, heavily.
Listen to him Flounder, he's pre-med.

He can't do that to our pledges! Only WE can!
Yeah!

Airplane!-
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit smoking...

The white zone is for loading and unloading only....
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

jd45 wrote:"Shane"........he walks into the Grafton Saloon & sees Wilson, the hired killer, after talking to Emil Meyer. He then focuses on Wilson, saying, "I've heard about you". Wilson says, "What've you heard, Shane?" Shane says, "I've heard you're a low down Yankee liar"............and they both pull, but Shane, naturally being faster, blows Wilson to pieces, splitting his head like an axe thru a melon, fanning three shots from his .45 Colt SAA (darn, those .45s make a mess of people!). Only ONE of my favorites, jd45
Jack Palance - evil personified in "Shane." The shooting of Stonewall Torrey is also a favorite, as Palance's Wilson goads
Elisha Cooke Jr's Torrey into drawing on him with "I hear they call you Stone Wall... just like Lee, Jackson, all them other
rebs; just trash, just rebel trash."

"Bang! Vun shot und Torrey iss dead!"

Best Western ever.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I think the one I remember the most is from "The Searchers". It is when Ethan turns and looks in hatred at the captive girl as she screams and grabs the doll. It is a look I'm sure I never will forget. He definitely deserved the Oscar for "The Searchers" more than "True Grit", then it probably was given to him for 'The Searchers". I saw that movie when I was ten years old. My dad looked a lot like John Wayne and I sure hoped I would never see that look.
"That'll Be The Day"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Ironsights wrote:The Levergun Scene in Streets of Fire
So... what do you like more - Easterns or Westerns?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

As bad as a lot of the junk is that Hollywood produces, there's a lot of good stuff, too. It's tough to keep it to 10. In no particular order:

1) Indiana Jones - scary swordsman twirling his scimitar as Indiana stands frozen - then blows him away with a revolver. The timing - hilarious.

2) War of the Worlds (original George Pal production) when the spaceship slowly unscrews itself from the ground, then incinerates two men and a priest. a shocker for the time; terrifying, and it set the stage for more frights in one of the finest early sci-fi films ever produced.

3) Open Range - bad guys have shot up the camp; Duval "interrogates" them - mean stuff, but they had it coming!

4) Bogart and Ingrid Bergman at the airplane at the ending of "Casablanca"

5) Schindler's List - where the workers gather together to thank him for all of the generations he has saved, and he manages to say "I wish I had done more."

6) Per "Roundup" - Treasure of the Sierra Madre: Exact quote - "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

7) Lonesome Dove, The series - just about any scene with Duval or Tommy Lee Jones - perhaps the greatest Western ever filmed.

8 ) An Officer and a Gentleman - hero returns to sweatshop and sweeps up his sweetheart while in background "Up Here Where We Belong"

9) True Grit - J Wayne - "Fill yore hands, you son..." - reins in mouth, firing both guns - more poignant due to the fact that he was fighting a valiant, final battle at this time.

10) Sound of Music - Maria unexpectedly returns and, unseen, joins a formerly sad group of children in their song (and all is good and gooey again).

And... one could add a dozen scenes from Mel Gibson's "Passion of Christ" - the hardest movie I have ever watched; many scenes that were deep and made me re-examine myself
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

rangerider7 THAT was the scene I was trying to remember. There was no John Wayne in that scene. Great acting!
OK, now you have the "stinking badges" quote correct. What was the name of the actor who said it?
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

the landing craft scene in 'saving private ryan'
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Gun Smith wrote:rangerider7 THAT was the scene I was trying to remember. There was no John Wayne in that scene. Great acting!
OK, now you have the "stinking badges" quote correct. What was the name of the actor who said it?
Alfonso Bedoya - whomever he was!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hoagy Carmichael: The Hong Kong Blues scene in " To Have and Have Not " One of the best cuts you'll ever see of old Hoagy. Bacall was stunning in her first movie with Bogey, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JohndeFresno wrote:As bad as a lot of the junk is that Hollywood produces, there's a lot of good stuff, too. It's tough to keep it to 10. In no particular order:

1) Indiana Jones - scary swordsman twirling his scimitar as Indiana stands frozen - then blows him away with a revolver. The timing - hilarious....
THe timing had more to do with the fact that Harrison Ford had Disentary and wanted the scene over than anything else. The rest is by the good graces of a spot-on reaction by a stuntman, Speilberg's editing sense and excellent Daily cutting.

Ford had a bad case of the trots during that week and the scene called for him to do some fancy Whip Work to disarm the sword swinger before dispatching him with a punch or some such.

Unfortunately, not long after "Action" he recieved "the call", and rather than calling for a Cut, he got that "oh bugger, not again" disgusted look on his face, drew his Webly and shot the miscreant.

Details vary as to whether or not they actually "scripted" the scene because of Ford's disentary, but such "we meant it that way" comments aren't uncommon in the film industry...

:mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:The Levergun Scene in Streets of Fire
So... what do you like more - Easterns or Westerns?
I actually prefer the Eastern Westerns... Since the best Westerns were remakes of the Easterns... (thank you Sergio Leone...)

Though Last Man Standing was a pretty good remake of a remake too. I enjoy all 3 and like to watch them back to back to back (Yojimbo, Fist Full of Dollars, Last Man Standing)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!