OT- Reloading help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Reloading help

Post by 505stevec »

I have been reloading for a few months. I guess i need to narrow my powder supply to just a few types. So first question is...

1. what is your best all around pistol cartridge powder? now this is going to be used in pistols but in rifles too. 44mag, 357mag, 38 spl, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

2. What is a good all around (if there is such a thing) rifle powder? I have 30 carbine, 30-30, 308, 223, 300 savage, 45-70

I know this is a tall request but i need the help. and besides that is what you guys love to do. help the helpless :D

One last question. WHERE OOOOH WHERE CAN I GET POWDER BESIDES MIDWAY?! They dont seem to have much selection.

Thanks for all your help.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Klondike
Levergunner

Re: OT- Reloading help

Post by Klondike »

First and foremost, you need to check the loading mauals and manufacturers specs and recommendations.
That being said, all the pistol caliber loads you mention work well with Hodgdon Titegroup. I use it in my pistols and rifles (pistol caliber only). I have tried a lot of others, but always wind up going back to Titegroup. Titegroup is excellent in light loads and up to max loads. In the large cases, it is not position sensitive and gives a clean burn, nice report and excellent uniform ballistics and shot groups.
I do not have any recommendations for rifle loads.
There are two theories to arguing with Cowtown Katy, neither one seems to work for me.
http://stores.ebay.com/cowtownkatysemporium
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I dont reload any rifle calibers at this time. However, I prefer W231 and TITEGROUP for my .38/.357, .45 ACP, and .44 mag. Both burn clean and push the bullet at nice self defense velocities. The .38/.357 and .45 ACP generally get approx. 5 gns of powder and 9-10 for the .44. That makes it very economical to shoot. I prefer to buy my powder at a local dealer. That way I dont pay the high hazmat fee. Best thing I can tell you is take a Saturday and just go hit some pawn shops or google reloading supplies for your area.
Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've found BlueDot flexable with different pistol loads. It's real close to 2400 in the way it burns, and it will come to within 10% or so (fps-wise) to H110 with much less powder. I can't think of any single powder that would cover your rifle needs.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, you could do quite well with H110 or W296 for the 357, 44 mag and 30 carbine, and W231 or Unique for the rest of your pistol cartrides. W748 could serve very well for all of the other rifle cartridges listed.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

As OSOK said, 748 will do all the rifle cartridges surprisingly well. BL-C2 would work too, it's just a touch faster and that might make the 30 carbine a little happier. There are a lot of good powders in that range that would work for all you listed(4198, RL7, 3031,4895 just to name those I've used) but those two meter great.

Personally, I'd go with 800X for the pistol, I love its clean burning if not its metering. It's not optimum for all and it works well, light load or heavy. I've used it in everything listed but the 40S&W(never loaded that) with no complaints. There are a lot of powders in its range that would be as good.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've been thinking along the same lines, and have decided to see what I can do with Unique, 2400, and 4895. I do have some 5744 for a Savage smokeless muzzleloader, and realize that it ALSO can be used in many, many cartridges, as well.

I started wanting to limit powders just for simplicity and safety, but now the ugly reason of limited supply and potential regulations has reared its head.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If it gets bad, yer gonna need to be flexable with powders and accept less than excellent load variations.......as long as they are within pressure, of course.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I have heard a lot of good things from a freind the competes in IPSC about Tightgroup for pistols. I also use 5744 in my 45-70s. The Trapdoor likes this one a lot. I have not really worked the sharps with it. Thanks for the help. I have seen some of your posts on Graf & sons and MidSouth for other distributors. thanks
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
txbirdman
Levergunner

Post by txbirdman »

When it comes to powders if I was limited to a single handgun powder it would be Unique. If only one rifle powder then H4895. If only one powder for both rifle and handgun then 2400. Looking at the loading manuals it's amazing the versatility of Unique and 4895.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

505stevec wrote:I have been reloading for a few months. I guess i need to narrow my powder supply to just a few types. So first question is...

1. what is your best all around pistol cartridge powder? now this is going to be used in pistols but in rifles too. 44mag, 357mag, 38 spl, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

2. What is a good all around (if there is such a thing) rifle powder? I have 30 carbine, 30-30, 308, 223, 300 savage, 45-70

I know this is a tall request but i need the help. and besides that is what you guys love to do. help the helpless :D

One last question. WHERE OOOOH WHERE CAN I GET POWDER BESIDES MIDWAY?! They dont seem to have much selection.

Thanks for all your help.
For the handguns you really need at least two powders. unigue to make everything run, and 2400 to get the bestest out of the 357 and 44.

The rifles you could get by real well with Rl 15 for everything but the carbine and the 45-70
If you must use smokeless in the 45-70 then 5744 for cast loads and 3031 for jacketed.(goex cartridge if you want it to work like it was intended)
The carbine could use the 2400 , lilgun,4227 or H110

Check with Grafs for the powder, primers etc. The prices they show include the freight so all you pay is the hazmat, and handling. 9 times out of 10 if you fill your cart at midway and then fill it at Grafs , Grafs will be the lower price. Natchez and Powder Valley are another couple of places to get powder and primers, and it always pays to check with Cabela's , as many times they got sales going and end up being the cheapest.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I think Unique and 3031.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

How about Universal Clays for the handguns?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Redhawk1
Levergunner

Post by Redhawk1 »

I usually have a few powder's I use for a round. I don't want to be stuck with just one choice. Also I find what works for me, may not work good for you. You have to find what works best in your guns.

As far a powder, I get all mine from the local gun shops. A lot better prices then having them shipped. Also buy in bulk, I buy 4 and 8 pound containers, a lot less expensive per pound. .
If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
Life Member of the NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:If it gets bad, yer gonna need to be flexible with powders and accept less than excellent load variations.......as long as they are within pressure, of course.
I was going to make exactly this point. In fact, it is happening in some areas. Can't find Varget here. Great powder=high demand=shortage.

There is Grafs, Natchez, Midsouth, Powder Valley, and others. Midway allows you to ask for notification when an item is stocked. Best act quickly though. E.g. yesterday morning Midway had CCI magnum large pistol primers and they were sold out by 5 PM...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

You are gona get a lot of different powders folks use with this request for help! :lol:

Klondike has it right, though! :wink:
Klondike wrote:First and foremost, you need to check the loading mauals and manufacturers specs and recommendations.
If you are starting out, you need the most up-to-date Reloading manuals, PERIOD! And I suggest getting at least TWO different Reloading Manuels. I have my Dad's old Lyman Reloading manuel from the 1960's and there are a number of changes in the information as compared to the newest Lyman reloading manuel (2007/08). You need to be careful and ask questions and do research, the internet is a great place, but you need to validate your findings. That can be time intensive.

Your desire to find a few types of powders for each set of pistols and rifles, may wind up showing performance standards not to your liking. The range of calibers and type of guns maybe too wide or extensive to narrow it down to one or two powders, without a loss of performance of some of the firearms at either end of the spectrum.

DID I say that right???? :lol:

Any way, this is a great forum for this question! Great Luck in your journey!

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I have a Lyman Manual and a Hornady and Lyman Black Powder Manual. I just need to see what folks like best and why. I really am not a "Bench Rest" loader. I am looking to reload to save money and besides I heard that the AG said the administration is officially going after Assault Rifles and Ammo. So I want a couple kegs of just a few powders to survive. Paranoid? maybe but heck I like to shoot.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Sounds like a plan. Clays will do nicely for all your pistols.
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I use WW231 for a general pistol powder, 2400 and H110 for the magnums. 231 isn't really
ideal for magnums, although it can be used for light loads. For 38 Special, 44 Special, 45ACP,
most of the 9mms (maybe all!), 40 S&W, and even up to 10mm it's fine.

I load more pistol ammo than rifle. H4895 is an old standard for rifle. 2400 has also been used in rifle for
many years, especially in calibers like the 30-30.

I tried to stock only 2 powders year ago - one for pistol and one for rifle. I'm too fussy, so I have four
or five now. I think it could be done with ww231 and 2400 - as long as the rifle calibers aren't too large.
Otherwise H4895 and WW231 - and you'd have to give up maximum performance for your magnum pistol
calibers.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have mostly big bore rifles and I'll be using H4198 for .405, .444 and 45-70. R7 or H322 will do the same with slightly differing but useful results.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I was looking in Lymans and I see that with lead bullets i can use Unique in 45-70 and 30 carbine. This would sure simplify matters but looking at the charge for unique in the 45-70 it states 405 gr bullet at 11 grains powder. it does not give a CUP table for it. all the other IMR powders listed start at 22 gr up to 35 gr. How do you think the 45-70 would perform? does anyone have experience with the 45-70 and 30 carbine with this powder? thanks
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

11 grains under the 405 works great.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

11-13 grains of Unique works fine for "trapdoor" level loads with a 405 gr. cast bullet.
NRA Life Member