uberti henry rifle in 45colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

uberti henry rifle in 45colt

Post by barbarossa »

Have a chance to pick up a Uberti Steel farme Henry rifle in 45colt.Its in excellent condition and up here in Canada the steel frame versions are rather scarce and pricey.My problem is the caliber I would of preferred it in 44/40, I would be using it for hunting and plinking.I was planning on using some BP as well and I know that the 45colt doesn t do as good of job sealing the bore with black as the 44/40.I can get this gun for about half of what a new one would cost.What would you do
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Re: uberti henry rifle in 45colt

Post by klhill »

I bought one of the steel frame Henrys in 45 a few months ago.Like new condition for $600 +tax.I too would have preferred 44 WCF but could not pass this one at that price.Fun shooter, very smooth action,great fit/finish, seems accurate but I've only done some casual plinking with it so far.I think retail is something like $1260 now (?) dealer over $900.
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

For the steel frame Henry I would jump on it at half price. I saw one in a shop in Colorado for $500 a few years ago and still kick myself for not buying it.
I also know guys who have the 45 colt in 66's and 73's and really don't have that much trouble with them fouling with black powder as you hear about.
If you're just plinking and hunting I think it would be fine.
I'd grab it, You can always sell it again if you don't like it but you probably will like it.
You can get some pretty impressive velocity out of the 45 colt using 3F black powder or Pyrodex cartridge and they are still low pressure loads.
I'd jump on it for the price.
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I'd jump on the deal also.
They just look sooo sweet.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just bought a new Iron Framed Henry in .45Colt from EMF for just under $1K... the last one they had. I've been shooting an 1873 rifle in .45Colt with BP in CAS for over 20 years. Use a good BP lube, 3F (I've been using Goex "Cartridge" recently) in just about any dose over 25grains (volume) and a heavy crimp. I shot two matches with it the 1st weekend of Feb, 50 rounds on Sat and 60 rounds on Sunday. Had to spray down the lifter area due to fouling (got gummy & ifter wouldn't drop fully) after the 90th round. No other cleaning until I was all done.

Methinks the fouling is mostly between the ears of the .45Colt's detractors.

Oh, and I don't anneal or otherwise treat my BP brass any differently than my mokeless brass.

I'm planning on converting my new Henry to the Cowboy45Special and using BP. Simple change of the lifter and I'll be able to convert back!
Last edited by Griff on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

If you decide you'd rather a brass framed 44-40, I have one, and I'm a little more partial to 45 Colt myself :wink:
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Post by BigMuddy »

I too have shot black powder in 45 Colt with no more fouling than 44 wcf. I had best luck with WW brass, it seemed to seal better. The original 44 Henry rimfire cartridge was a straight wall case too. I know the 44 will work to hunt with, but I like 45 Colts for that chore.

BTW, I have a steel framed Henry in 44 wcf....very nice gun indeed.

You should get that gun!! Be careful loading it. Leave the gun horizontal and lay the cartridges in it. Don't drop them in. I have been witness to 3 of them that have had had all the rounds go off in the magazine. They are safe enough, just be careful with them.

Let us know how it shoots.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Thanks for the info I plan on buying her in the morning
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BigMuddy wrote:...Be careful loading it. Leave the gun horizontal and lay the cartridges in it. Don't drop them in. I have been witness to 3 of them that have had had all the rounds go off in the magazine. They are safe enough, just be careful with them...
High primers, pointed bullets, er... inquiring minds wanna know what other conditions led to the detonation... seems like it'd almost have to be vertical before flat-nosed bullets would have enough momemtum to detonate simply dropping them down the tube. Yea, I know... ANYTHING is possible when I'm not around... :twisted: :twisted:

Mind you, I haven't loaded mine but once to check the feeding of my same 1873 loading... grrrr... had it for two weeks or better and still haven't fired a shot! Almost as bad as one of 1851s, had it for over 6 months and it's never been fired! But, it has had the action job and Manhatten conversion done... Maybe "she-who-must-be-obeyed" will let me off for a few days around the 13th of this month to attend a match... not exactly how I wanna check out either gun... but, you go with what ya get! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Buy it for trading fodder for the one you really want! :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Just a thought, You can easily duplicate the standard 44-40 load in the Colt with smokless.. I did it in my Uberti '73 with 200gr bullets and Hogdons HS-6 powder.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about a little soot on the cases with the .45 Colt chambering, and as far as comparing the calibers?......that 250gr bullet is gonna stomp an animal with considerably more authority than the 205gr .427 now that it's available in a lever-action rifle. Just my 2 cents, you understand. jd45
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

... use the Lee Factory Carbide Crimp Die with a good bite on the 45 Colt and you will be amazed how little blowback there will be ... even with black powder
Regards
John
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

barbarossa wrote:Have a chance to pick up a Uberti Steel farme Henry rifle in 45colt.Its in excellent condition and up here in Canada the steel frame versions are rather scarce and pricey.My problem is the caliber I would of preferred it in 44/40, I would be using it for hunting and plinking.I was planning on using some BP as well and I know that the 45colt doesn t do as good of job sealing the bore with black as the 44/40.I can get this gun for about half of what a new one would cost.What would you do
I have a 73 in 45 Colt and in the process of converting it to 44-40.

I contacted VTI. and it appears that the only parts needed to convert a 45 to 44-40 (or vica versa) is the barrel. All uberti parts for the two callibers are the same.

If you go their websight, you will see that parts are listed as (for 44-40 and 45 colt)

I believe its the same for the Henry.

Convert it for $250 and keep the old barrel with the box.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

rusty

Might want to take a look at that again. With the Henry, the barrel and magazine are integral and quite a bit more expensive. In fact more than twice as expensive. $525
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

Ouch!!

I stand corrected.

Thanks Levergunner.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)