Federal Primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Federal Primers

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Just bought 2M Federal Large Rifle primers. Can you believe how big the plastic holder tray is!! It also has 2 cutouts to keep primer tray from falling out. :) Was this lawyer mandated, or what is reason for this?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Federal Primers

Post by J Miller »

Federal primers are more sensitive to impact detonation. So from what I've heard, ( and I can't verify this ) after a large shipment of their primers blew up the back of a UPS truck they changed the packaging to this big monster box. I hate the big boxes. It's a major pain in the butt to get the primers out of the big box into a normal primer feed tray.

But I love the primers.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I put up with the box because I like the primers :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Joe and Pete--I love Federal primers, in fact so much I just bought 30 thousand more as my dealer, who is very well connected, told me the distributors are empty and do not see a replinishment in the near future.---The revolution is beginning----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A guy on the Colt forum reported a dealer he knew had 3 MILLION primers on hand. My dealer will take any he can get and now has fewer than I do. :lol: Yes, I'll be getting more as availability of money and primers coincides. However, my preference seems to run CCI, Winchester, Remington, Federal and "others". Not sure why. Large pistol and magnum small rifle seem to be the two most in demand and hard to get!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hobie,
I may be talking out my butt because I'm not in the business and I really don't know the inner workings of the ammo industry but this is what my guy told me last night.

I have known this guy for 35 years---well established gun dealer-----he goes on vacation with the owner of Pennsylvania's largest distributor. He can get whatever he wants, if his order falls short, the distributor will "steal" it from another dealers order. (I know, thats not right, but this is America)

My guy's distributor shorted him 50% of his powder order and further informed him his stock of primers are depleted. Yes, it could be a panic rush by everyone in the nation buying up primers and powder and it could be..................orders by the Feds to slow or stop production with only the top 5 people in the industry knowing what is going on.

I'm a factory worker peon--I ain't taking no chances-especially knowing I can always use what I am buying.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is true that dealers with a personal relationship with their distributor(s) get better availability etc. There is a "shortage" but apparently it isn't traceable to metal availability or military demand now but to civilian hoarding. That includes some PDs who are/were trying to get their ammo requirements met for two instead of a single year. The factories are running at capacity and can't make enough. I haven't spoken to even one person who says they are hoarding for any reason other than the current POTUS and probable coming restrictions although some add the economy and their fear of collapse. Sort of what Charles was talking about in his Mexico topic.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I personally don't believe that there are orders from the Feds to slow production of powder and primers. There are just a whole lot of people buying up a whole lot of components.

The only pistols/revolvers/handguns that I have are in .22LR and 38 Smith & Wesson Special so the only primers I need are Small Pistol Primers. I have several thousand of them -- over 10K.

I also have 15K Large Pistol Primers that I will never need and will never use. They are Winchester primers. Why do I have them? For barter and trade. There'll come a day when someone will run out of their stock of Large Pistol Primers and will want to barter/trade for primers.

I use Unique, Bulseye, and Universal (Clays) for reloading my .38 Specials. I was in one of my local gun shops the other day and he got in an order of powder from Alliant. I bought 3-pounds of 2400 that I don't need or have a use for and I bought 8-pounds of Red Dot in 1-pound bottles (more useful for trading) that I also don't have a need or have a use for. Why did I get em? For barter/trade.

I believe there'll come a day that we won't be able to get primers/powder so I've been building up not only my using stockpile but a trading stockpile too. EDIT: The reason I believe this is because I think that the EPA and OSHA under the Obama Administration will ban the shipment of powder, primers, and perhaps even loaded ammo and lead to individuals.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

The real reason behind the box design is a more efficient machine controlled packaging at a greater rate.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Thanks Miuke, there is usually a simple explanation for things.

Don
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Post by BigMuddy »

If you buy a primer flip tray from Dillon, the Federal boxes are no problem. Dillon primer trays are big enough.