Anyone shoot Laser-cast bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone shoot Laser-cast bullets?

Post by Goat »

I've been shooting them in my Marlin 1894CL 32/20 for a while and like there performance on paper very well. I have shot a few non-game pests and they did the job that a 22 rimfire could have handled just as well. Anyone else use their product or do you cast your own or use "premium" cast to hunt with?
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone shoot Laser-cast bullets?

Post by jdad »

I use the LC 32-20 for silhoutte matches only. It's actually cheaper to order them direct .
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
cworetired
Levergunner

Post by cworetired »

Been using that bullet in my 32-20 for sometime now with very good results.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I like them in my 32-20 also. It is what I shoot most of the time. I also keep some hornady xtp's around also
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

I've been shooting the Laser-cast bullet in front of 4.0gr of Universal Clays for about 1450 fps. It will shoot half inch to three quarters of an inch with this load at 50 yards and one and a quarter to one and a half inches at 100 yards. I also shoot some 100 gr Hornady XTPs but shoot far more of the cast bullets.What are you doing with yours?
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I used them for years in cas. Mostly 45 Colt (250 grain rnfp's over 7 grains of W231) and then when my boys started shooting with me, I loaded their 38 Specials with 158 grain Laser casts.

This is interesting because I just wrote a letter to Oregon Trail and sent it off today:
----------------
February 21, 2009

OREGON TRAIL® BULLET COMPANY
Post Office Box 529
Baker City, Oregon 97814-0529
Re: Needed products

Gentlemen,

I am a long time customer of yours having sent many thousands of 45 and 38 caliber CAS bullets down range.
While I am very happy with your current offerings, I would like to see some designs offered that seem to be absent across the board in terms design and weight.
Specifically, I would like to be able to purchase “wide flat nose” type bullets in .358, .401, .430 and .458” sizes. Further, please produce these on the heavy side of the caliber – for example, 180 grains for the .358”, 200 or even 220 grains for the .401”, 280 grains for the .430” and 300 for the .458”. If for some reason that design isn’t feasible, then a good sharp-edged, short-nosed, semi-wadcutter would do as well.
I normally favor gas check designs for this type of bullet but your other bullets have never leaded my bores even though they are bevel based, so that’s probably not an issue – though, a plain base would be better for the purpose in my opinion.
These bullets would all be excellent handgun and lever-action rifle hunting and personal defense bullets and I think would sell well for you – especially if you get the word out that you have them.
Thank you for your consideration of my request.

Regards,
----------------

I think they cater mostly to competitve or high-volume shooters but could sell quite a few wfn type bullets if they'd make them available.....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

33.0 gr of 4198 with a 300 gr LaserCast Gc yeilded about 1356 fps and a 1 1/8" group at 100 yds with my Marlin 1895SS.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

i've shot their .454" 300GRfp's in my '92s with good results. jd45
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I have used the Laser-cast bullets with good results.
Their prices have about doubled in the last year so now I cast my own.

Jack
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have gotten leading using their bullet in .358 with a moderate load (10 gr 2400). The experts tell me that's because they are quite hard, and need a stouter load to obturate the base of the bullet and close up any space. If I do that they won't lead. So don't drive them too slow, get standard lead bullets for loading down.

I have about 1000 of them right now and I plan to work on a load for 35 Rem at about 1600 fps. I also have their bullets in 30-30 and haven't seen any leading there at the 1500+ fps range. But I haven't shot a lot of them yet.

They are a good company to deal with, orders go right out, shipping is included, and they will include load info upon request with loads developed specifically for their bullets. I have had lots of trouble getting responses from other cast bullet makers. One guy I ordered from didn't send the order, but he didn't cash my check either. I thought he went out of business, then he cashed the check after a year or so. I e-mailed him that if he is going to cash the check he should then send out the bullets. He did, but this took a year and umpteen e-mails and phone messages, all unanswered. And he was the only cast bullet maker that has given me any communication at all. I wrote Leadheads, Beartooth, and several others. My point is Laser-cast is way above this level of service. You can buy from them with confidence.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I use 'em in 32-20, 30-30, 32 Special and 44-40, all for silhouette. Good bullets, good outfit to deal with.