pistol caliber ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryW
Levergunner

pistol caliber ?

Post by JerryW »

What pistol caliber will work on the 200 yd. rams best? Bullet load etc. I'm thinking a 1892 or 1873 clone. Thank you. JerryW
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

.454 casull in a puma 92...
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

A 44mag will work for both pistol caliber and big bore silhouette. I've some .357 mags knock a ram down, but it's the shot placement that matters with the under 180gr bullet.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There used to be a fellow in our club many moons ago that shot in several different classes of pistol silhouette. He had a Ruger SBH, a Remington XP-100, and a S&W M28 6". In the M28 he loaded stuff I'd never shoot but I remember he used jacketed bullets for a .35 Remington in it and he slapped 'em down. I don't remember if it was a 180Gr. or a 200gr. but I'm thinking it was 200.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I may be all wet here, and even though I personally have not had the best of luck in the reliability dept. with Marlin 94's in 44mag, I believe for this game, I would give one of the long barreled Marlin Cowboys with the octagon barrel a try, because I believe it would be the most accurate.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

First a disclaimer - this isn't a game I've done personally. That being said, I'd recommend a 1892 in 44 Magnum with 240-grain to 260 grain bullets. The 1873 action was just never meant for the pressures a magnum load can produce. Even with modern steel, the toggle link is not something rely on long term compared to the 1892 action.

Just my two cents...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Lastmohecken wrote:I may be all wet here, and even though I personally have not had the best of luck in the reliability dept. with Marlin 94's in 44mag, I believe for this game, I would give one of the long barreled Marlin Cowboys with the octagon barrel a try, because I believe it would be the most accurate.
Lastmohecken, Be careful if you plan on a Marlin Cowboy gun. I have owned them in 44 Mag. and I have seen other shooters with them. I have yet to see one with a groove diameter tighter than .432 so if you plan on using cast, well, its not going to be easy. Marlin told me that the barrels were within SAAMI specs. I told 'em I would never buy another, nor recommend them.

Along with reliability issues, you will have long distance issues with accuracy. ---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

You don't need a magnum!
Back in the '70's I shot IHMSA with a Rug.Bkhk.45Colt/.45ACP.
The standard 45ACP will take down the rams. (If you can hit them)
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Dakota Mike
Levergunner

Post by Dakota Mike »

44 mag Marlin cowboy, Marble tang sight. I use this for Silhouette. Range is 100yd with reduced sized animals. I wish I had a 100 yd group pic but I dont. In the 70s I also shot IHMSA silhouette and used a 256 WIN mag, Hornady 75gr hollow point. It worked fine for me. This was out of a 10in barreled TC. The load I listed for my 44 Mag is very accurate. I don't see you having a problem with a Ram at 200 yds with it.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

When I was playing this game a few years ago, I shot a reqular Blued, Ruger SBH, 44 Mag, loaded with hornady 265gr jacket bullets, under enough 2400 to make you smile!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!