Question about a Marlin model 336 SC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Question about a Marlin model 336 SC

Post by dkmlever »

I just bought a Marlin pre-safety 336 SC in 35 Rem, I just saw it, liked it and bought it but it will not make the trip home till Wednesday as the CBI had a four hour wait for the back ground check. It looks like a Win model 64 with the pistol grip, short 3/4 mag tube and maybe a 20? inch barrel. Wood and all looked good, it had a red rubber Marlin butt pad on it. Nice gold bead front site and wide shallow buck horn rear. Paid $300 out the door. Good deal or not? Also when I get it I will check when it was made. The forearm is a little thick for my taste I may slim it down a little. Any thoughts on how to do that or if I should? Pics to follow soon. Any information on this model is welcome.

PS there was another one there also but in 30-30 and that barrel looked to be about 3 inches longer. NOTE: I checked this one it is a 336-A
Last edited by dkmlever on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Question about a Marlin model

Post by Old Savage »

Great deal - you will love it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Don't slim it down until we figure out the age. If it's an early gun you should not modify it. Just find a spare forearm and cut that one down.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I used to have an early 60's .35 SportingCarbine, which went to another forum member here - it was very accurate, as should yours also be.

IMHO, the price was right, too.

Yes, the barrel should be 20", with that 2/3 length magazine.
The early Model 336A rifles had the same config - except that they had 24" barrels & a 2/3 mag, IIRC.

I've never seen an original SC with a rubber buttpad, though - only black HR buttplates.

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Question about a Marlin model 336 SC

Post by dkmlever »

OK I picked up the new (to me) Marlin 336 SC today and looking at the serial number it was made in 1949 since the number starts with a G, then four numbers. The trigger is very crisp and clean, wow! I think Pete is right the red rubber pad even though it is a Marlin pad was added later but fairly nicely done.
Pictures!

Looking forward to shooting it, will give a range report by early next week.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

dkmlever wrote: Image
...factory D&T for peeps...? ...just begging for a good peep sight... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there dkmlever - That is something with Marlin rifles, the pregnant twinkie forends!! I prefer a slimmer unit and tend to slim anything down ('cept my waistline it seems!). With the age of your rifle, I would recommend getting another forend and saving the one that came with the rifle. Here is a 39a I'm just about done with. I saved the original forend and the white spacers. Built a black spacer to replace the original white one under the pistol grip cap. Made it a whisker oversize to protect the edges of the cap. Hope to have some shine on it tomorrow. Take your time, keep your tools sharp, go slow, and eyeball often, and you should be fine. Good luck and nice rifle! Watch yer top knot. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

:mrgreen: NICE!!!

Peed in my canteen on one like that a couple of years back. Guy wanted $250.00 for a 1951 in .35. Trouble was he also had a Contender frame I wanted. Couldn't get both, couldn't make a decision, so I wound up with neither!!! :oops:

Since that's a thin pad the stock probably hasn't been cut. Brownell's has the genuine Marlin hard rubber buttplates and they're pretty easy to fit correctly. Not much trimming left to do.

Take it shootin' for a while before thinking about putting a skinny forend on 'er. Maybe I've just shot bolt rifles and scatterguns for too long but I kinda like the "fat" Marlin wood. (No offense to my Mountie or pre64 '94)
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Nite Ryder
Levergunner

Post by Nite Ryder »

I like a slimmer forearm also. Two weeks ago I bought a model 36 (bolt looks like an 1894) in 30-30 caliber. Before the day was over I smoothed up the action, which involved replacing the hammer spring, buffing the "wear spots" on the lever, bolt, and top of hammer. While I was doing that, my cowboy friend who lives close by, was using his band saw and small hand plane on the forearm, a half hour later he was finished with mine and starting on his own. The next day we made our weekly trip to the range. The accuracy of my finished rifle was very good at 100 yards. We paid $150 each for these two leverguns, and they were well worth it. My finished rifle is far smoother than any of my '94 Winchesters. I like the thinner forearm, now I'm casting an eye on some of my other Marlins.

NR
Last edited by Nite Ryder on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If its got a cork,I'll drink it - if it's got a tune,I'll dance to it - if it's got a trigger, I'll shoot it - if it's got hair, I'll ride it.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

dkm,

You got yourself a dandy there!! If I remember right though, I thought the G prefix on the serial number was 1950, not 1949. No matter though cuz they are Ballard rifled thru 1953 and have that kinda waffled appearance on the top of the receiver to cut glare. I'd have snapped this sweet Marlin up in a heartbeat at that price too!!! I love Marlins in this late 40's to early 50's timeframe. I'll bet that action is SMOOTH!!

I'm betting you will totally enjoy this fine firearm!

Geoff

p.s. I typically like the skinnier forearms too but for some reason these Marlins sure shoot well for me, over time I don't mind that fat forearm at all!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A "G" prefix on a Marlin = 1950 - the third year of SC production (which began in 1948), and the year the .35 Remington was introduced in the Marlin 336's:

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

SC designates Sporting carbine, the 20" barrel is right.

Looks like a fine gun you found, congrats! :)