Marlin 1895 G pricing ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 1895 G pricing ?

Post by Streetstar »

I came across an opportunity to purchase an 1895 G blued finish (Guide Gun 45-70) from an individual ----- his asking price is $520 with 6 boxes of factory ammunition (i dont know which load -- but i had one of these rifles recently and i remember factory ammo was pricey)

This rifle is magna ported, which i consider a plus due to the sharp bite at the shoulder these things have, while this feature has been discontinued on the newer models. (retail at Academy Sports is $540.00 plus tax for a new one --- about 585 total - but its new, and also unported)

I was leaning hard and considering making a $475 offer --- due to the ported barrel and small stash of ammo to get me started. However -- i called a fried who looked up the values of this rifle and i was shocked --- they were as follows :

NIB--- 575.00
100% condition -- $520.00
98% condition -- $310.00
95% condition -- $275.00
90% condition -- $200.00

Are these realistic numbers? I've seen precious few rifles in 100% condition that actually get used, and with these thing's role as "packin' rifles" i would expect a used one to fall closer to 90-95% , but then again, i may not know the difference between 90, 95 and 98% -- seems a little frivolous

I do not know what Gun book my friend pulled the numbers from, but was wondering if any of the rest of you have any gun valuation books , and if so, are the numbers i just shared accurate, or is the editor just blowin smoke ?
----- Doug
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1895 G pricing ?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes, those prices seem about right.
I know a guy who bought a Marlin .450 on Kodiak Island AK and paid over $800 for it new and shot it one time and sold it. He couldn`t handle the recoil. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unless you want it for a wall hanger or safe queen, just figure that the more 'used' it is, the more you may be able to bargain down the price. You'll likely ding it up some more shortly, if you like totin' and shootin' it as much as I like mine. The ports ARE loud, but I would only shoot a gun like that without hearing protection in a true emergency, ports or not.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Yes, those prices seem about right.
I know a guy who bought a Marlin .450 on Kodiak Island AK and paid over $800 for it new and shot it one time and sold it. He couldn`t handle the recoil. :D

thks --- i am not surprised at the gentleman's asking price, because i thought it sounded somewhat close until i heard the gun valuation report. I was just shocked at the severe drop from 100% condition to 90% condition, or even 95% condition.

I have yet to see the rifle, because i didnt want to badger the man until i was ready to buy (or not buy) --- i would think one of the darn things would be worth a couple hundred bucks in 50-60% condition, not 90%
----- Doug
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I was lookin' on GB the othe day and couldn't find any 1895's for less than $450.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

90% or 50%, I seriously doubt you'd ever find a Guide Gun for 200 dollars. I don't think those are realistic numbers.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AT least $180 of that $520 is ammo. I think $340 for the rifle is reasonable IF that is a rifle you want.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i would try to offer him 475.00 if the gun is in good condition. i dont think the scale you have presented is correct. i will buy them all day for a 90% for 200.00
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thabks for the tips --- i thought my friend's gun valuation book sounded a bit off, but i wasnt there in person, i was getting info over the phone -- maybe its the book, or maybe he needs to get some glasses-- those things do have fine print sometimes.

I'm going to get it, unless i show up with cash in hand and its a total roach (but even then, a trip to the gunsmith for a parkerizing job, ghost ring and a syn. stockset would turn it into a poor boy's Wild West clone, )

will try to post some pics if and when i get the deal done
----- Doug
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I wouldn't pay any more that $399 for ported blue 1895G. The ammo would maybe go another 75-100. You can buy an new unproted blue 1895G for $529. At least in these parts.

Just my $.02