OT - Watch your six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Watch your six

Post by kimwcook »

One of the guys at work emailed this to me. This is real, not third hand, my friend grew up with the guy. Thought it interesting. This is exactly why I pack a sidearm when out and about. My buddy's possibly going to his this guy tomorrow and will get more information. I'll pass it along when I get it. What I do know is that the shooter was actually tracking the cat when the hair on the back of his neck stood up. He slowly turned around and the cat was right behind him, with ears down and crouched. He ended up shooting it in the mouth without turning around by using his left hand over his right shoulder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Law Dawg
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Watch your six

Post by colo native »

Nice kitty
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Kim, we have had trouble with them traking homo-sapiens in Southern New Mexico.
I really don't know why this is, there does not seem to any more of them than when I was a kid.
So, I do not know what has changed in the grand scene of things.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Kimwcook,

That is OUTSTANDING and I couldn't agree more! I know 2 of my friends that have seriously been STALKED by cougars and they are tough guys and were scared to death while it was occuring. One was bow hunting and the other was building fence. I never leave the house without a firearm on me or in my Jeep. My wife saw a cougar about 300 yards from the house and I've got a 4yr old and a 6 yr old playing in the yard. We take this stuff serously! Since the libs in Wa State made it hard to hunt with dogs these cats aren't scared of us any more! And talk about PLENTIFUL!! Anyone that has seen a cougar up close and looked at them they are nothing but a lean mean killing machine!!

This guy got this cat with a 1911? Find out which caliber. Part of the reason I moved from .45ACP to 10mm in my carry 1911 is because of these cats.

Thanks for the post!

Geoff
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a nice cat. They can sure give you willys when your out in their domain. Anyone who has seen one up close and personal can tell you that they are absolutely not afraid of us. A few years ago in Idaho, I had a stare down with a large tom. He wasn't worried about me in the least, till I ended him with two shots from my 357 revolver.
NRA Life Member
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

TedH,
where did those two shots hit?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Lots of guys in my area won't go coyote hunting alone anymore. Several of them have had cougars sneak up on them when using wounded rabbit and other calls to call in coyotes. Since CA passed the "No Hunting Mountain Lions" initiative some years ago, cougars are multiplying like crazy. I've found cougar tracks on my property quite close to the house and near the dumpster we have. We don't take the trash out here after dark even though that area is lit up with a yard light.
ED
Yer never too old
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

"Bad Ol' Putty Tat" said Tweety Bird as he blew smoke from the barrel of his .45.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Wow, sure was interesting story. Do you think they just stalk and don't attack, as I've only heard of small children getting attacked. I have seen their prints while elk hunting in Colorado and never gave it much thought. Maybe I should start to "look up" :wink:

Here in the East, the biggest cats we have are bobcats and they are few and far between.

I guess I would have to change the caliber of my Eastern "Cat Rifle" from 218 Bee to something bigger if I was to head out your way. :D --------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

mescalero1 wrote:TedH,
where did those two shots hit?

The first shot took out the left lung, and the second was a low gut shot after he spun around. The first shot would have done him in, but I was a bit nervous.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

TedH wrote:
The first shot took out the left lung, and the second was a low gut shot after he spun around. The first shot would have done him in, but I was a bit nervous.
Dude, you got big ones! The head on that cat is bigger than yours. I'm impressed, especially with you nailing it with a sixgun.--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

My BIL was stalked by a Couger/Mtn Lion while black powder hunting for mule deer in S.Utah. It was coming for him and he got the one shot off just in time. He is a big man and that was a big cat! The game warden would not let him keep it though, would have been nice to bleach the skull. This was about 10 years ago.
I have only seen two of them while hunting and all they wanted to do was get clear of me, not sure what causes them to stalk full grown men?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Did that take place in Missouri?
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Thats awful spooky. There is a big female with cub that hangs around in an old abandon farmhouse about 4 miles from me. I have never seen it myself but the Rural Electric company was working on a water well thats still in use when she came out of the old house to say hello. I was informed about it from the landowner who got a nasty call from the electric company that they will never go back out there till he does something. It was sighted just last weekend about a mile closer to me. To me, its weird because I live in the high plains where it is very flat and open country.

Years ago, there was a very large cat near Clayton that had killed many horses and calves. As far as I know, nobody ever took it. Another one in the same area a couple of years ago that ran a herd of cattle out of a pasture. I went down there to do some work for the guy and had to carry a pistol everywhere. They wouldn't go back into that pasture.

As a funny, yet somewhat tragic story last year, something was running my horses one evening. They were going nuts and I couldn't see what was causing it. I grabbed a rifle and a flashlight to see if I could find it. I live miles from my nearest neighbor so when I seen a pair of eyes that were about 3ft above the ground staring at me when I put the flashlight on it, I thought it must have been a large cat that had been seen north of me. I took steady aim and pulled the trigger. The eyes dissappeared and I heard the scream of what sounded like a wounded animal. I cautiously move over so that I could get a closer look when I realised that there was a small tree right where I had seen the eyes and had killed a house cat that was in it. Its hard to explain to your folks when they ask what happened to that cat they gave you.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The guy was shooting what appears to be a Beretta 92F. I'm not real familiar with the Beretta auto pistols family. I do know it's chambered in 40 S&W.
Old Law Dawg
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

TedH wrote:The first shot would have done him in, but I was a bit nervous.
I would have given him all six, then clubbed him with the barrel, while screaming like a schoolgirl.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Sixgun wrote:Wow, sure was interesting story. Do you think they just stalk and don't attack, as I've only heard of small children getting attacked. I have seen their prints while elk hunting in Colorado and never gave it much thought. Maybe I should start to "look up" :wink:

Here in the East, the biggest cats we have are bobcats and they are few and far between.

I guess I would have to change the caliber of my Eastern "Cat Rifle" from 218 Bee to something bigger if I was to head out your way. :D --------------------Sixgun
Think again Sixgun!

Good old Felice Concolour is alive, well, and growing in numbers through out the South. Officially called Florida Painters or Panthers, they are the same sort of kitty cat as western mountain lions, they just live in swampy areas around the South.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Well I'm embarrassed thinking that was a 1911. I didn't enlarge the pic and then again I must need glasses for more than reading!!! I do know a Beretta from a 1911, sure makes me look bad though! HA

The guy is lucky he's maybe left handed from the pic?? Sure centered that tongue didn't he! Now that is some steady marksmanship under severe pressure! He will always be proud of that shot!

Geoff
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

They do follow you, I was followed on both of my last trips to N.M.
If you look up the post with pictures of me putting up the windmill, the one where I am digging with the Ditch Witch, I have a S&W model 19 in a shoulder holster under my field jacket.
Walking from that house to my mothers house ( a mile away ) my sixth sense told me something was not right, I started paying attention, and I made one shadowing me, he disappeared when he figured out I made him.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

A cougar would be bad enough. A big tom is really BIG. But down New Mexico way you've got jaguars running around there and that, my friends, would really scare the water right out of me if I turned around and he was stalking me or I came around the corner of a trail and met Mr. Jaguar.
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Kim,
We have a black panther up there. I have not seen him but people I know ( who are not prone to exageration ) have told me they have seen him.
Oddly enough from what I have heard, If the information is accurate, it seems to be on some kind of 28 day cycle.
I have seen, what I thought was a Jaguar, but I only saw a flash of him, and he was gone. That does trouble me, they will hunt species Homo- Sapien.
And we have, and did not when I was a kid, Jagarundi; they have moved in and I got a REAL good look at one of those 1 day
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here in the East, the biggest cats we have are...
Don't be so quick about that, as we have had numerous sightings here in midcoast Maine and the DIF&W even has confirmed hair samples as being cougar -- or puma, moutain lion, catamount, etc. -- or just a BIG FRICKIN KITTY.

Hope I don't see one when I'm out fox or coyote hunting...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

mescalero1 wrote:Kim,
We have a black panther up there. I have not seen him but people I know ( who are not prone to exageration ) have told me they have seen him.
Oddly enough from what I have heard, If the information is accurate, it seems to be on some kind of 28 day cycle.
I have seen, what I thought was a Jaguar, but I only saw a flash of him, and he was gone. That does trouble me, they will hunt species Homo- Sapien.
And we have, and did not when I was a kid, Jagarundi; they have moved in and I got a REAL good look at one of those 1 day
I haven't seen them but I live a little farther north. I have heard of them. Unofficially, when the report first came out on the jags coming in through Los Cruces, they were to be shot on site but that has since been changed.

When I was hunting last year near Capitan, I was sitting by myself when I heard one that stood me at attention. He wasn't really even that close but being armed with only that 54 bp rifle, I thought it best to vacate immediately.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Morgan in NM,
Did it sound like a female homo - sapien screaming?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have seen a couple of big cats here in Central Texas in the last 10 years. I have seen sign about every year. I believe if they are stalking you it is ether they are curious about what you are and they are not hungry or they are hungry and they want to eat you. You will have to kill the latter and the other will leave you alone after they see you close. IMHO
"That'll Be The Day"
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I thought it looked like a Beretta 92 or a Taurus 92.

My elk guide in '93 was from the Texas Big Bend country, that winter after season was over in Idaho he called in (with a predator call, he was after coyotes) and killed a lion near Sanderson, TX.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Several years ago, a friend of ours was bow hunting elk and had to kill a Mt Lion. Shot it between the eyes with his bow at point blank range. His mom asked him where his sidearm was. He told her it was in his day pack. He reported it and FWP made him take them to the kill site. Confirmed it was self defense.

Last bow season, my son and a friend were working their way into position (a spot my son and I use frequently every year during the archey elk season) and walked up on a big cat. It was within 40 yds. It was the second one that his friend had seen within a month (differnt locatons). Had other friends report encounters with both Mountain Lions and wolves. There seem to be an unusual number of Mt Lion spottings/encounters recently. My son's theory is that the increasing wolf population is causing the big cats to change their hunting habbits. Three years ago, someone mistakenly killed a grizzly in the same area where my son and his friend saw the Mt Lion. We both carry handguns anytime we are out in the woods (for me that is almost every day). It is legal to carry a handgun while bow hunting in Montana.

Paul
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Otto wrote:
TedH wrote:The first shot would have done him in, but I was a bit nervous.
I would have given him all six, then clubbed him with the barrel, while screaming like a schoolgirl.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

My wife and I live in cat territory, we see them every so often on our property, I think when they want to be seen! I cut woood etc walk the property and never think about them, I have walked up on them at 30 yards over a fresh deer kill and as soon as they see a person off they go. I just don't worry about them, they have plenty of deer to eat, usualy I have my dog with me and they don't like dogs...maybe I am crazy but do not see them as an issue, I consider it a thrill to see one.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I do not curtail my activities because of it, just think it prudent to be aware.
My dog is a family dog, I don't she would be much good in a fight........ nor do I expect her to be.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sixgun wrote:Wow, sure was interesting story. Do you think they just stalk and don't attack, as I've only heard of small children getting attacked. I have seen their prints while elk hunting in Colorado and never gave it much thought. Maybe I should start to "look up" :wink:

It's not just kids. There have been several people in Southern CA that have been attacked by mountain lions and three or four of those have been killed.
ED
Yer never too old
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

The "authorities" do not want to acknowledge it but never the less, we got 'em here in N.H. They are a sight. 1886.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Those things look really MEAN :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

We're getting more of those cats here in North Dakota. Last fall when pheasant hunting in deep, deep, deep cover, it ran through my mind a time or two. Good to see this guy was prepared.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

If the cat is getting plenty of deer they are not a problem. If not your calves are next then you.
Last edited by rangerider7 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That is why we are not having any incidents, plenty of deer, turkey etc.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rangerider7 wrote:If the cat is getting plenty of deer they are not a problem. If not your calves are next then you.
That's pretty much true but mountain lions/pumas attack and eat animals of opportunity and if you happen to be the animal of opportunity when they run across you, you are in trouble.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I try and go by the boy scouts motto of always being prepared. It's best to walk the outback with your mind on what you're doing and not on what's going on in your life. Humans haven't been out of the woods for that long. Trust your instincts and you should be okay so long as you're packing your own teeth. Let me clarify that a little. Anybody that's been in the woods more than just camping, like hunting, hiking, etc..should have their antenna pluuged in and working. There's no guarantees in this world, but with your senses working and the ability to protect yourself, one should be fine.
Old Law Dawg
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

mescalero1 wrote:Morgan in NM,
If it screamed like a woman, it was a mountain Lion /ouma/cougar. Good old Felice Concolour does not have the throat sturcture to permit a real roar.

Jaguars on the other hand are members of the genus Panthera and they roar.

BTW, Jaguars do sometimes turn maneater. They are larger and much more dangerous than a mountain lion, and are probably more dangerous in a fight than a leopard sicne they can get much bigger. So in Jaguar territory, you'd danged well better watch your backtrail and ambush points.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Wife and I were both raised on ranches in Colo, with that said about 5 years ago we were going to se our daughter who lives around Churchville, and about 6 miles out of Stanton she said Holly shi** I just seen big Mountain Cat, by the time I turned to see it was gone, didnt think much about it cause we seen them a few times in Colo, even had a few good shots at em but would denie ever shooting one, and she sees more than I do cause I driving, then a coupla years ago I was travlind down 608 to the Blueridge gun club to shoot a cass match, and seen a bunch of turkeys flyin out of a weed patch, and I seen a tail, so I stoped and look back just in timew to see a very large well fed cat going in to the brush by the little creek that runs with 608, so with that said even thought the Va game folks say there aint no cats, well thats bull,,, several have them on vidio around C'ville...
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

AAnd yes Hobie I'll show ya just where... just ask...
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

This is the one I got this year (my first), a young tom, not nearly as big as the OP's.

I got him while elk hunting with my brother and nephew. They went up and over the ridge, I went around. This cat came up in front of me, stalking my brother and nephew, who were about 2/3 of the way up the hill, coming down. He never knew I was behind him. I always carry a tag, and check seasons when I am going to be out, just easier all around to be able to tag it, no need to explain anything to a warden then.

Couple weeks later in the same area, we had pulled out the weekend previous as it was beginning to snow, when we got back in the next weekend, there was a hunters tracks walking the same path I had taken this guy on, and on top of his was a set of cougar tracks. He would step on a log, and the cougar track would be right on top of his on the log.

I shot this guy the first time with my .338 Win Mag, "texas heart shot", broke his pelvis and back about midway. He was still alive, but bleeding bad, and he took off down a draw. I got on him and finished him with a .44Mag to the head, lodged in his spine between the shoulder blades, pic of the recovered bullet:

His skull has been sent of to be cleaned and bleached, and his hide is being turned into a rug now.

--Carl
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job, Carl.

Cougar tags in Washington State are pretty inexpensive. I think around $10.00, after you buy your standard hunting license. Good insurance to have, no splainin to nobody.
Old Law Dawg
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

I think they are about the same price here. I generally pick up a sportsman's pack at the beginning of the year, ends up cheaper for me. In Idaho, that gets you a combo license, elk tag, deer tag, mountain lion tag, bear tag, salmon and steelhead tags, turkey tag, and both my archery and muzzleloader stamps. Let's me hunt how I want.

Now if I can only get a wolf tag this year!

--Carl
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kimwcook wrote:Good job, Carl.

Cougar tags in Washington State are pretty inexpensive. I think around $10.00, after you buy your standard hunting license. Good insurance to have, no splainin to nobody.
A couple times, on my own, I would call using a dying rabbit call hoping for a cat or bear. Then, all of a sudden, alone and on the ground, I found myself quickly hoping that the call did not work :oops: :oops: Here in Wa, you are always within earshot of a cat or bear......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Don't even TRY to kill a cougar down this way. Why, it's less of a sin to kill a human, or a Condor. Don'tcha know that all you mean hunters have made them endangered? :lol:
There are at least three of them on the ranch. I have found the carcasses of deer and pigs that were partially eaten and covered with sticks, grass and leaves
for a return meal. So far, no stock have been bothered. The darned 'yotes are the problem in that respect, not the cats. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

mescalero1 wrote:Morgan in NM,
Yep but I knew it was a cat because there have been reports of them from the game warden. What I dislike is that when your on a restricted muzzleloading hunt, in NM, your not allowed to carry a repeater even for protection.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Capitan is only 65 miles north/northeast of me.
With my concealed carry, I would carry anyway.
There is a lot of forest between me and Capitan, isolated, sparsley populated, just the way they like it.
Muzzle loading elk is good down my way.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That is a serious cat. Shooting left handed over your right shoulder, thats gotta leave you, in the least, a little hard of hearing in that right ear. He got it done with that shot though. Good job on a big kitty.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Thats a cool story! I guess that pistol worked for him.
A few years ago while getting water turned out of the river to irrigate my summer pasture, I had one follow along the hillside about 30' above me. He stayed just in the edge of a quakey grove and tall sage brush and stayed even with me for over half a mile. At one point I threw rocks at him and all he did was back off a little. I finally made it up to my pickup and was darn glad to see it. I had my little Win 94 44 mag in the truck and had decided not to pack it clear down there 3/4 of a mile down a steeeeeep hill. Of course the cat was gone when I got to the rifle. I have never gone in there without a rifle since! It was a smallish lion, I'd guess around 100 lb.