Favorite Primer & Powder Preference

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Favorite Primer & Powder Preference

Post by GonnePhishin »

Can those who reload give me their favorite primers and powders for reloading .357 Mag Ammo. or just in general?

Is Accurate powder any better than Hodgdon, or Alliant, or are CCI primers better than Winchester, or Magtech, or Federal? I've read that some primers are harder/softer than others, but what does it matter as long as they go bang when needed?

There are so many different makes of powder and primers out there that it just gets kind of confusing. :?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Favorite Primer & Powder Preference

Post by mran1126 »

I like Winchester primers. They just seem to seat more smoothly for me. As for powders, Unique or Bullseye are my favorites. They cover lots of different bullet weights.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have always used Federal primers in my 357's and for powders I use Unique, 296 and 2400. I use the federal primers because when I started reloading that's what was available and having dfveloped my loads i have never felt the need to change, maybe one day I will try something different.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I use unique and mostly winchester primers...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like Winchester primers as they seem smoother to seat than CCIs, but have used Federals w/no problems also. As far as powder is concerned, I find that specific guns seem to like specific powders and end up testing even after someone has given me a recommendation.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use CCIs and have for over 35 years for all the reasons others use other primers PLUS availability. As to powder, it depends on what load you're interested in.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

UncleBuck wrote:Can those who reload give me their favorite primers and powders for reloading .357 Mag Ammo. or just in general?

Is Accurate powder any better than Hodgdon, or Alliant, or are CCI primers better than Winchester, or Magtech, or Federal? I've read that some primers are harder/softer than others, but what does it matter as long as they go bang when needed?

There are so many different makes of powder and primers out there that it just gets kind of confusing. :?
UncleBuck,

I'm a strong proponent of the K.I.S.S. theory. I use mostly Winchester primers and 2400 powder in my .357 loads. It's a simple combination that works.

For all my hand gun cartridges I try to keep Winchester primers on hand, although I have used all the others and they do work. I also keep 231, Unique, and 2400 on hand as well.
With those components I can load everything I shoot and keep the loads consistent.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Win WSPM and Unique, 2400,

Lil'gun for the 180s
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Federal primers and H110, both .357 and .44Mag
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have and use many different brands of primers. Federal are the most accurate in my 6mm BR rifle. CCI Benchrest have shot the best in my
.22-250 . Winchester and CCI are what I use in almost everything but the .444 and that rifle and RE7 prefers Remington 9 1/2`s .
It takes a lot of testing to find what does the best for you in primers.

As far as powders go, I have about 60# on hand and my loads are so varied it would take a book to list them all. No single or pair of powders will even start to cover all your needs once you branch out beyond loading the pistol calibers. :D
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

CCI primers for me and for full power loads - I have become a fan of Lil'Gun
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If your wanting to wring all you can out of a 158 gr. 357 Mag, then Vihtavouri N110 is it. Their load data states use of small rifle primers with that powder. I have tried a lot of different loads in my 357 handguns, and a max load of N110 has always been the best accuracy and highest velocity. It is very similar to 2400 in burn rate. Worst thing about it is the usual lack of availability at most gun shops.
NRA Life Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

CCi primers, unless I'm out of those and then Winchesters will do fine. The 357 really deserves 2 powders, unique for the milder moments, and 2400 when its time for some earsplittin zip. I also liked lilgun for full throttle efforts, but its best in the longer barrels, and not very good in the short tubes.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

[quote]I also liked lilgun for full throttle efforts, but its best in the longer barrels, and not very good in the short tubes.

Dumb Question: What is lilgun :?:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I use CCI primers and Bullseye.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

UncleBuck wrote:
I also liked lilgun for full throttle efforts, but its best in the longer barrels, and not very good in the short tubes.

Magunum type ball powder from Hogdons. Intended originally for loading the 410 shotgun, but has found more favor among folks in pursuit of magnum handgun euphoria.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

UncleBuck wrote:
I also liked lilgun for full throttle efforts, but its best in the longer barrels, and not very good in the short tubes.

Hodgdon powder developed for .410 shotgun loads. Works well as a magnum pistol round. http://www.gunblast.com/Hodgdon_Lil_Gun.htm
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

UncleBuck wrote:

ImageThat's Lil'Gun, a Hodgdon ball powder. Apparently I somehow got the apostrophe in the wrong place because I've been typing it as L'ilGun for years. :roll:
Advanced technology propellant design just for the 410 BORE. The 410 shotshell has long been difficult to load due to shortcomings in powder fit, metering, and burning characteristics. Not any more! LIL'GUN was designed to fit, meter and perform flawlessly in the 410 BORE. No more spilled shot or bulged cases. In addition, LIL'GUN has many magnum pistol applications and is superb in the 22 Hornet. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I use mostly Winchester primers with some CCI primers on hand and I have Universal (Clays), Unique, and Bullseye powder on hand. I have 2400 on the way from MidwayUSA.

Whatever you decide to use, decide soon and buy as much as you can afford -- both powder and primers. Oh, and anything that contains lead too.
ED
Yer never too old
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks everybody for the responses.
Yes, I believe the handwriting is on the wall.

66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Modoc ED wrote:Whatever you decide to use, decide soon and buy as much as you can afford -- both powder and primers. Oh, and anything that contains lead too.
Amen to that Doc!

The guy I have been buying cast bullets from is finding it harder and harder to find wheelweights. I have a standing order with him for a substantial supply of .358 RNF as soon as he finds some lead. He says he keeps hearing that lead wheel weights will be outlawed by the end of the year. Once I get that order filled I think I can make it through the next 8 years, if you know what I mean. I hope I don't need it to last any longer than that. :evil:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
leeloader
Levergunner

Post by leeloader »

CCI is the only primer I use and for the .357. I use trail boss for plinking and H-110 for full throttle stuff. Trail Boss just smells better!! Also use Bullseye for target loads.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

CCI primers (never had a problem, so never had a hanker'n to try anything else), Unique for the 10k of wuss loads I shoot a year, and H110 for the hundred or so that I might use for hunt'n and try'n to hurt my wrist.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Modoc ED wrote: Whatever you decide to use, decide soon and buy as much as you can afford -- both powder and primers. Oh, and anything that contains lead too.

Words of wisdom right there.