OT - Pistols

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Pistols

Post by Tycer »

I have 2 pistols. A Ruger 22/45 and a Kel-Tec P3AT. I like them both, I have modified them both for function and fit.

I like Revolvers. 38/357s. I'm OK at using speed loaders, especially Safariland Comp 2s in a Smith Model 19 4". A little slower on a Ruger Speed-Six with the HKSs.

I have an itch for a real pistol. Something in a 9 or a 45. I think the coming administration is influencing me.

I have short fat fingers and man sized hands. Most large gloves do not fit my palms or my finger diameter (size 11 ring), but are a good 3/4"+ long in the fingers. I despise buying gloves. I've cut the fingers off dozens.

Glocks are a little big for me. The XDs and Smith M&Ps fit well. I've only handled one 1911 and don't remember it that well.

So, 9 or 45

in what gun do you like?

I'm liking the XDm in 9. Have not shot one, but held one in .40. Very nice fit.
Last edited by Tycer on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Pistols

Post by mescalero1 »

If you HAVE to go 9mm, go with a browning hi power.
Any of John Brownings clones in .45
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

In a pistol, the venerable 1911 in 45 ACP. I have short fingers with thick palms and for me, the 1911 with the same single action trigger pull, each and every time is the one for me.

Go and try some of the nice ones out there. A 1911 is a platform you don't just buy, throw it in a holster and start depending on it to protect you and yours. Like all guns, you should be very familiar with them before you start packing it. But, some of the finest production 1911's are being produced right now.

Good luck on your search.
Old Law Dawg
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

mescalero1 wrote:If you HAVE to go 9mm, go with a browning hi power.
Any of John Brownings clones in .45
I've shot a High Power a bunch. Way too fat for my hands! Nice gun though.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45 Colt or ACP.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I hate to say it but most of the pistols out there designed for high cap mags are going to be a bit fat in the grips. As Kim said take a good look at a 1911 they tend to be slimmer in the grip due to the fact of how the rounds fit in the mag. Plus its a .45 what more could you want. :wink: :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

If the XD's and the M&P's fit well, why not one of those??? Both have very good reputations.

As far as caliber goes, bigger is better... If you can shoot it well enough. Personally, I'd opt for the 45.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Handguns likes are about as personal as your taste in women. What does it for someone else may not do it for you. :wink: Having said that...

I'm in a similar situation as you on the hands. To me, nothing fits better than a BHP. Period.

I used to think Glocks were a little large for me as well only it wasn't the width that was an issue, it was the front to back depth of the grip. When I took my CHL class, the school provided Glock 17s. Much to my surprise, I did quite well with it. In fact, I felt comfortable enough with it that I now have G19 on layawake and this is after YEARS of complaining they didn't fit me. Turns out I had to rethink my grip and that was it.

Another good option (IMO) is the EAA Witness line. They are a derivative of the CZ75 which itself is a derivative of the BHP. I had a compact polymer model in .38 Super that I traded away for something else sometime back that was very nice to shoot. I recently picked up a compact steel model in 10mm with a .38 Super topend. The nice thing about the Witness series is if you go for the steel frame you can use all the caliber conversions they make from .22 up to .45 (IIRC they are .22, .38 Super, 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm and .45ACP). If you go with the polymer frame you are limited to the .22, .38 Super and 9mm as I recall.

The S&W series of autos other than the polymer stuff are still another good value. Many are PD trades ins that were carried a lot and shot very little. I have a non-trade in 5906 I've had no issues with and if I had the mad money to throw around I'd pick up a Model 39, 59, etc. :mrgreen: I can't comment on the current S&W polymer offerings since my experience with a Gen 1 Sigma turned me off on the S&W polys (the risk you take having to be the first kid on your block with a new design :lol: ) but I understand they've come a LOOOONG way since then.

Other than firing a mag through my buddy's full size XD45, I have no experience with them. I hear lots of good things about them but I also know of one that sheared the roll pin that holds the firing pin in place. My understanding is the owner dry fired the snot out of it without using snap caps.

Then we have the 1911. What's not to like? :lol: I have found I prefer the flat mainspring housing to the arched as used on the 1911A1 though. It just fits my hand better.

That's my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Before you buy anything (so you have an excuse to dry-fire it because you actually might buy it), just TRY a ParaOrdnance 1911 LDA in some configuration.

It comes in Small - http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=14,

Medium - http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=17,

and Large - http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=30

If you don't have long fingers, you would probably not want the 'wide body' 14-shot model. I've shot single action semiautos for so long I just couldn't warm up to ANY double action semiauto, but of the ones I've shot, that one was pretty sweet.

Here's a good review of the 1911 LDA http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/para-ord-745.htm
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

You'll never regret a nice 1911. The most customizable pistol made. You can have one in just about any size, shape, or configuration you can come up with. I have a full size colt, a Colt officers model, and a Commander length Para Ordinance. Each has its pros and cons. For carry, it's usually the P3AT at the bottom of the photo, or the Colt pocket nine above it. For pure shooting pleasure, you can't beat the full size. If I feel I need power, I'll carry the Officers model. The double stack Para is in a lock box in the bedroom just in case.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

The most comfortable to hold pistol that I own is a full-size single-stack 1911 .45. I never expected that when I first looked into full-size 1911s. I've thought about getting a 9mm 1911, but it is not a high priority on my wish list. I have a small profile double stack pistol and the fit is just not as comfortable or natural because of the thick grip, but it isn't horrible. Everyone has different hands, so you just have to try them out until you find what fits you. Hard to go on reccomendations alone.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Another thing, see if if you can find a range that rents handguns reasonably close to you. The more trigger time you get with various platforms, the better idea you get of what you like and don't like.

Just be careful though. I thought I had to have a Makarov after running a couple of mags through one belonging to my buddy. Once I had one, I knew after about 2 boxes of ammo it wasn't for me. The 9x18 is a great round IMO but the Makarov is the wrong platform for me. Something about the grip design drove the grip painfully into my hand. Switched to a CZ82 in 9Mak and it was an entirely different experience as the 82/83 series are a joy to shoot.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sig P228

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jdad wrote:Sig P228

The 228/229 series are another good choice! Man, I keep forgetting what I have and what I've tried! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

EVERY gun owner should have a 1911 in their collection. There is a reason it is the platform for many competition firearms. Slap a pair of slim grips on the standard frame, and it will fit your hand even better. You won't regret it! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Tycer,

You've seen me. I think we're of a similar build. I like 1911s in .45 ACP. Second choice is the Hi-Power in 9mm. The .40 is neither fish nor fowl to me. I've loaded the .40 and it just doesn't impress me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

don't know much about pistols, but I always liked the Walther that Robert DeNiro had in "Taxi Driver".
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I'm very satisfied with a recent purchase of a Beretta PX4 Storm 45 acp.
AQHA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Go to the SARCO web page and look at he Rock Island .45's. Jr. has one and is getting ready to order another one. A great bang for the buck.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

cnjarvis wrote:If the XD's and the M&P's fit well, why not one of those??? Both have very good reputations.
+1. You already have a couple good choices there -- reliable, accurate, etc. Go with what feels good in your hand.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

today...1911 in 45
tons of after market part...and ammo is easy to find
and to reload!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:I have 2 pistols. A Ruger 22/45 and a Kel-Tec P3AT. I like them both, I have modified them both for function and fit.

I like Revolvers. 38/357s. I'm OK at using speed loaders, especially Safariland Comp 2s in a Smith Model 19 4". A little slower on a Ruger Speed-Six with the HKSs.

I have an itch for a real pistol. Something in a 9 or a 45. I think the coming administration is influencing me.

I have short fat fingers and man sized hands. Most large gloves do not fit my palms or my finger diameter (size 11 ring), but are a good 3/4"+ long in the fingers. I despise buying gloves. I've cut the fingers off dozens.

Glocks are a little big for me. The XDs and Smith M&Ps fit well. I've only handled one 1911 and don't remember it that well.

So, 9 or 45

in what gun do you like?

I'm liking the XDm in 9. Have not shot one, but held one in .40. Very nice fit.
If I were buying a bottom feeder today it would be one of the new SiG P250 Modular Pistols.

That way with ONE 4473 you can have about 8 different guns &/or build EXACTLY what you want.
The P250®, a modular pistol that allows the shooter to change caliber and size at will....

The SIG SAUER® P250 was designed specifically to address the future needs of the military, law enforcement, and civilian shooters around the world. The P250 is available in the most popular calibers (9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W and .45ACP). The P250's innovative design enables the shooter to quickly remove the functional mechanism and place it into the polymer grip of his choice. This allows an immediate change in caliber and size;(subcompact, compact and full). And after any change the pistol delivers both outstanding accuracy and reliable functionality. Its modularity not only provides incredible ease of maintenance, but also provides a solution for accommodating different hand sizes - there are 6 different ergonomic combinations for each size, accomplished by changes in grip circumference and trigger style. Now you can own the world's only modular shooting system globally engineered to deliver the "To-Hell -And-Back-Reliability" you've come to expect from Sig Sauer.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCa ... egoryid=54

As for caliber? .45 is my fav. Easier to reload and better for "heavy" use...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've shot a number of Sig's. I've even had to carry one for duty for a number of years. I even have one now. But, even with a short trigger and small insert, my short fingered, fat mitts, just don't like'em. And then there's the switch between double action to single action. I'll take the same pull each and every time with my 1911.
Old Law Dawg
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

your Ruger 22/45 was designed with a grip profile that roughly mimics a 1911's grip profile --- if that one is comfortable in the hand -- the 1911 should be too. Kimber has a nice catalog of 1911 stuff in prices from mild to wild

Or you could skip all the auto stuff and get the S&W Performance Center 8 shot .357 Magnum tactical pistol --- good stuff
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

try a glock 27, if thats too big, try a keltec pf-9. it's a singlestacked baby 9mm. probabally as small as you can make a 9mm and still hit anything with it.i'm on the medium to small size; 6'1" 178lbs. a 1911a1 colt fits my hand perfectly. keep trying out different autos, find one that fits your hand. that is more important than caliber, muzzle energy, or bullet weigtht. have fun.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I can (and have) shot a 9mm ALL DAY, I shoot a 45 100 times and I'm just plain done with that...
Granted I've had 4 surgeries and pins in my hand/wrist but 45's just hurt unless your doing bowling pins (little powder)... I still have a Browning hi-power, Walther P5, and a small pile of Sig's which is my choice.
I've just never have accepted the plastic guns or the trigger safety on the glock but then again I wrap a 1911 with electrical tape before I shoot it, hate that grip safety. Sig - no safety, if you don't want it to fire don't squeeze the trigger!
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

I have fairly fat hands as well, the 1911 fit me best, especially a bobtailed frame. Dan Wesson makes a great pistol, the Commander Bobtail or CBOB, check it out.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=66

And Jeff Quinn @ Gunblast has a review of one.

http://www.gunblast.com/DanWesson-CommanderClassic.htm

And of course, 45acp...
Molon Labe
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Your hands sound very simular to mine. I own a SW M19 and a Springfield 1911. Recently I shot the Springfield XD in a 9mm compact with both sizes of the magazines. I was amazed at how well the gun handled even with the short magazine. I also shot a Ruger P85. Out of all the guns I handled, I enjoyed the P85 the most. Its accuracy was amazing. Not sure if your looking for concealed carry or not. If so, my first choice would be the Springfield XD compact or the SW M&P in a .40 or .45. If being compact wasnt an issue I would lean towards the Ruger P90 or P94 in .40 or .45. IMO, the Ruger P series pistols were overlooked due to the fact that the Beretta came out about the same time as the P85 resulting in many biased opinions. After a long break, the Ruger P85 that I shot proved it is indeed what it was meant to be, a Utility Handgun capable of self protection at a reasonable price. I do like my Springfield 1911, but after shooting both, the Decock and safety features of the Ruger were refreshing.

Check out the link to this one, cant beat that price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =120777399
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I own a P85, a Rock Island Armory 1911, and my Wife has a Springfield XD9. All 3 are great and in my experience totally dependable. 1 total jam in the 3 guns and that was in a brand new, never cleaned gun with cosmoline still in it. thousands of total rounds and only 1 jam, those 3 are as reliable as you could want.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Plus, the 1911 platform is just cool.

Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A 1911 (.45ACP) with a straight mainspring housing (ILO an arched housing), and a short trigger, will float yore boat.

Unless, yore the nervous type, about carrying "cocked & locked", i.e.

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey Tycer,
Sorry I'm late to the party here but, my son just walked into the house with the latest Kimber catalog and I was thumbing though it and they have a 1911 called the Aegis II. It's made for small hands. May be worth looking at.
Ricky

DWWC