Marble's Tang Sight for a Marlin 336

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Marble's Tang Sight for a Marlin 336

Post by Old No7 »

Here's an early Christmas present I got for... ME! :D I'm posting some close-up pix here, in the hopes it helps a forum member or other shooters...

I recently added one of the Marble's Tang Sights to my .38-55 Cowboy (see pix below). I chose the Marble's instead of a Lyman, as it has the windage adjustment, which just might come in handy for steel silhouettes at 50, 100, 150 or 200 meters (for Lever-Action Silhouette matches). Plus, I really wanted a tang sight, not a receiver sight like the Williams Foolproof (which really is a very good sight in its own right).

Anyway, you can see there's "just enough room" to fit my thumb around the sight base and not interfere with the hammer -- unless I will have gloves on, of course.

And you'll also see the design of the sight base and stem leaves "just enough room" not to get hit by the bolt either!

Also, instead of adding a rear sight slot blank when I added the tang sight, I just cut off the rear of the original rear sight, matching the general shape (but not exact dimensions) of the front angle, so it looks like a medal or shield of some type. I'd seen this done on a used Marlin once and thought it was a pretty cool idea. Who knows, I might even have my initials, .38-55 or the year engraved on that piece...

Now... If I could only get it to shoot as well as twin brother's .62 caliber smoothbore musket... Then I'd really have something! (I need to test more loads, as it didn't like the cast bullet load which I use in my Winchester High Wall...)

Tight groups! And Merry Christmas!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice! Look into the Starline brass and slug that barrel for proper fit of cast bullet and you will have a real winner! :wink:
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Another rifle I wished I had bought when Marlin was makeing them. :cry:
Nice sight.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Now... If I could only get it to shoot as well as twin brother's .62 caliber smoothbore musket...
If you're shooting an unaltered rifle using hard cast commercial bullets, I found faster powders helped a lot. 2400, 4227, etc.