Reduced 45-70 loads Questions again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Reduced 45-70 loads Questions again

Post by brokenhand »

I noticed from the previous thread that someone mentined rolling toilet paper and putting into the shell. What about using the cardboad wads like the BP long range shooters use or the cotton discs like you can put under the loads in a BP Revolver ? Anyone do this?
What about the use magnum primers in such light loads to increase the spark ?
Thanks
Jim
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Reduced 45-70 loads Questions again

Post by Griff »

How low are you wanting to go? I use AA5744 for low-pressure loads in a lot of cases designed for BP. Their website has info for the .45-70 using this powder. Doesn't require a filler, and haven't ever had an issue.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Don't use the wads when using small charges of smokeless powder, they turn the bullet into a bore obstruction, and can cause chamber ringing or worse.

Chalk another one up on Griffs scoreboard, 5744 works really well for not so fast 45-70 loading.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I am another 5744 fan.
lead bullets and 5744 go together mighty fine... easily dupes blackpowder loads...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

brokenhand wrote:I noticed from the previous thread that someone mentined rolling toilet paper and putting into the shell. What about using the cardboad wads like the BP long range shooters use or the cotton discs like you can put under the loads in a BP Revolver ? Anyone do this?
What about the use magnum primers in such light loads to increase the spark ?
Thanks
Jim
Unique is not position sensitive and does not need mag primers. 13 grains under 405-420 just eases on down there.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

colo native wrote:http://www.recguns.com/Sources/VIIE7.html - 9k look at this
You can count on anything Norm Johnson says.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

Thanks for the replies. I am also a fan of XMP5744 and H4895. I didn't realize that Unique was not position sensitive and I guess that was the one I was really wondering about since he did mention the TP. I did have some magnum primers left over from my BP days so I did load a few with them.
Thanks again
Jim
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Tycer wrote:
brokenhand wrote: Unique is not position sensitive and does not need mag primers. 13 grains under 405-420 just eases on down there.
+ 1 on the Unique . I have been using Unique for over 30yrs in reduced loads in rifles , never used a wads in 30 plus cal I have put it in and no mag primers .
Image..Image
Image......Image