OT, kinda: Sensitivity to powder fouling question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT, kinda: Sensitivity to powder fouling question

Post by J Miller »

I used to love the smell of burned gun powder after a shooting session. I enjoyed cleaning my guns, I had no problems with the soot, fouling, gunk or chemicals used.

Lately, maybe over the last couple years, I've noticed that after a range session just the smell of the fouling on my guns is enough to cause my sinuses to close down. It also seems to give me a headache.
Cleaning chemicals don't do this, until I'm cleaning my guns. Then it happens again.

I spent an hour at the range today. Not near as long as I usually spend there, but it was just too cold to do any decent shooting so I cut my time short.
Right now, almost 5 hours later I picked up IJ to photograph a couple parts and the smell almost made me ill.

Is it possible to develop a sensitivity to fouling?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Re: OT, kinda: Sensitivity to powder fouling question

Post by Hobie »

Apparently.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I dont see why not. People develop sensitivity to all sorts of compounds thru prolonged or repeated contact.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

You're not alone Joe, I've found myself developing sensitivities to more things as I grow older. Eggs are now verboten for me, most forms of sulfa based drugs, penicillin and after years of production painting, some paint thinners hit me pretty hard. The various solvents that are left over from firing smokeless powders are in the same categories. It could be the cleaning solvents combined with the powder fumes, simply what you've been using for cleaning, or the powder residual fumes.

I can still handle pyrodex fumes but black powder fumes gets me nauseous. That's kind of odd, as there's lots of sulfur in pyrodex and considering my aversion to sulfa based medicines. I thankfully haven't had that problem with smokeless fumes.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love the smell of a just fired Federal Paper trap shell. I hope I dont develop an alergy to it!

How long has this been going on Joe?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I love the smell of a just fired Federal Paper trap shell. I hope I dont develop an alergy to it!

How long has this been going on Joe?
Like I said, I've been noticing over the last couple years.
I used to come home and clean my guns the same day, or at least within a couple days. I was busier then, full time job, other activities, and I just did it.
Now I'm finding that I actually avoid cleaning them. The last time I cleaned my S&W 25-5 was before last April. Not sure about my OM BH. And since I've gotten IJ back from Steve Young, I haven't cleaned him at all.

About all the cleaning I do is run some jacketed rounds through them after the lead, then wipe them down and ignore them. This is not the way I usually treat my guns. I guess I'm avoiding the odors.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Yup a great deal of people are sensitive or allegeric to a great many things. For instance, around where I live there are a number of of people allergic to earning a paycheck....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Sounds like my allergy to drywall dust. Just started a couple of years ago. Kicks my butt. A dust mask fixes it for me.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When we had to go on a really bad crime scene where there was decomposition or really bad odors we would rub Vick's Vapor run on our upper lip to help kill the smell. You might try something like that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

It seems I have developed a sensitivity to powder or/and the smoke from a fired round. This started about 6 years ago. I had an outbreak of shingles that started on my back, which cleared up with no reoccurence. Two weeks later I had an outbreak in my eye which took almost 3 months to clear up. Seems that whenever I am in a hot environment, or when sweat runs into my eyes, or whenever I start shooting, I start to get symptoms of reoccuring eye trouble. Feels like the shingles is trying to make a comeback. Burnt powder or the smoke from it definately aggravates my eye. If I am lucky it will last for a day or so. Other times I end up with a bad eye for two weeks.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

IIRC, technically, you can't develop an allergy to inorganic compounds. However, that wouldn't apply to gunpowder since it does have an organic compound as it's base. So, it is quite possible to develop the allergy.

Looks like it is Sudafed for Joe before a shooting session (or some other non-drowsy antihistamine!)
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The more I'm around my mother in law, the less I can stand her.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
helmtoad
Levergunner

Post by helmtoad »

Powder companies change retardants and their powder compounds to slow burning rates just a couple years ago. That's how they are all able to come up with these short grained powders with the same burning rate as the long grain just like the old H4831. The new equivilent H4831SC. the reason they did this is so it would work better through powder throwers. I have a feeling that you're allergic to the retardant rather than the powder. This might help explain it However it's no real help. Other than using a dust mask or taking a benedril or claritin before you go shooting there might not be a whole lot you can do.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Chuck 100 yd....I love the smell of a just fired Federal Paper trap shell. I hope I dont develop an alergy to it!
+1 Big time!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:Apparently.
Maybe it's a combination of locale & prolonged exposure to anti-gunners... There ya go, maybe that'll be yer incentive to return to AZ!
Just kiddin', hopefully it's just something that'll pass.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:
Hobie wrote:Apparently.
Maybe it's a combination of locale & prolonged exposure to anti-gunners... There ya go, maybe that'll be yer incentive to return to AZ!
Just kiddin', hopefully it's just something that'll pass.
Don't need no incentive to move back to AZ, just need the wherewithal.

I hope it passes too.

Joe