Winchester model 71 carbine deluxe?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coobie
Levergunner

Winchester model 71 carbine deluxe?

Post by coobie »

I have a chance to purchase two winchester model 71 rifles.The first is a model 71 carbine deluxe(20 inch barrel) in 98% condition for $4,700 the second is a model 71 deluxe(24 inch barrel)for $1,750 in 95% conditon.Do these prices seem fair?Thanks for any information.coobie
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester model 71 carbine deluxe?

Post by Bridger »

No idea on the prices, but if you do get one of them, posting pics is a must :wink:
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Both prices are well in line assuming, of course, condition is as represented.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

That is actually a very good price on the carbine, as they commonly go north of $6k. Especially if it's a long tang with a bolt peep in true 98% condition, it could be a $7k rifle.

The price on the rifle is likewise very good, if truly 95%.
Chad
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

71fan wrote:That is actually a very good price on the carbine, as they commonly go north of $6k. Especially if it's a long tang with a bolt peep in true 98% condition, it could be a $7k rifle.

The price on the rifle is likewise very good, if truly 95%.
Yep

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
coobie
Levergunner

Post by coobie »

Update on the model 71,s the model 71 deluxe short barrel(20inch) has peep bolt sight and swivel slings short tang made in 1947 the second 71 is deluxe model short tang (24 inch)barrel,reciever sight made in 1956.coobie
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

I just put up a post to trade my Model 71 Winchester for a Pre-64 Win. 375 H&H.
My 71 is in nice condition from around 1950.
Some info I read makes me think its a Delux, becasue it has factory sling swivels and factory checkering on the pistol grip and fore end, but not a peep sight.
Is the trade I am desiring lop-sided one way or the other?

Bob N.
Last edited by RANisbet on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I couldn't imagine paying nearly Five Grand for something I'd drag around through the brush. And I can't imagine any other reason to own an M71 except to drag around through the brush in pursuit of something ugly and tasty.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I drag mine through rain, dust, snow, and brush in pursuit of something "ugly and tasty". It still looks good as new. Well, almost. :D Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Mike D. wrote:I drag mine through rain, dust, snow, and brush in pursuit of something "ugly and tasty". It still looks good as new. Well, almost. :D Image
Yeah, but as beautiful as yours is, it ain't a carbine and it ain't five grand :wink:
That's why I don't own a carbine - I hunt with all of my vintage leveguns and I just can't justify more that about $3k for a hunting rifle :D
By the way, I have a special place in my heart for the standard rifles with deluxe swivels - nice.
Chad
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Mine's no Deluxe, just a standard ordered with sling swivels. I own no super fine guns like you see in collections that reside only in safes. I hunt all my guns and, like you, haven't cracked the $3K mark, yet. There are many $$$$ Winchesters that appeal to me, but I need food and other necessities a lot more. I figger on stumbling on a good one at a piker's price. I did recently turn down a beautiful .45-90 because some fool put it in a vise and used a pipe wrench on the barrel. The wrench marks ruined it for me. The bore was pristine and it could've been had for less than 2 Grand. I suppose the marks COULD have been removed, but I didn't want to deal with that, either.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

For RANisbet, The bolt peep was an option on the 71's. Some 71's were shipped with the bolt sight slots cut but no sight. The checkering was standard as was sling and swivels, pistol grip plate on the deluxe models. If the bolt has the machined slots on the bolt, there is a reproduction sight available. Winchesters called ALL M.71's rifles, but collectors refer to the short barrelled 20" guns as "carbines".
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Gun Smith wrote:For RANisbet, The bolt peep was an option on the 71's. Some 71's were shipped with the bolt sight slots cut but no sight. The checkering was standard as was sling and swivels, pistol grip plate on the deluxe models. If the bolt has the machined slots on the bolt, there is a reproduction sight available. Winchesters called ALL M.71's rifles, but collectors refer to the short barrelled 20" guns as "carbines".
Correctomundo, Gun Smith. Like "SRC", it is just another term coined by sellers and collectors in order to glean a premium from buyers. This is justified in a way by the lower production of shorter barreled guns. As we all know, Winchester called the Models 1866, 1873, 1886, 1892, 1894, and 1895 guns "Carbines" and placed "sling rings" on them to aid in keeping them in a scabbard or on a saddle.