OT---question for you rifle 357 max users

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

OT---question for you rifle 357 max users

Post by Thunder50 »

Been fighting with my Ruger that I rechamber to 357 max, using a custom reamer that I had Dave Manson make for me. I dimensioned it for use with the lyman 358627 bullet. Also been shooting some Lee 258-180gr fpgc bullets along with Remington 200gr rn bullets. Needless to say, the groups at 100yds would be acceptable for OOO buckshot at 10 yards, but not the rifle. Started low with 4227 and Lil Gun and got about 12" patterns that slowly went down to 6" patterns as the powder charge went up. With the Lee bullet, I finally would get 3 in a nice cluster, then 3 in a nice cluster about 4" away, then all over the place. The Remington bullet finally got down to around 4" group. Don't know velocity as I left my crony at home both times :(

Finally, with a near casefull of H4227 and the Lyman bullet seated as deep as I could ( a really compressed powder charge), I would chamber the round with the bullet in the rifling/leade about .050", and shot these for a sub-MOA group. Don't know if it was the bullet seated in the rifling (like breech seating) or because of the compressed charge and bullet in the leade that I got such good groups.

Would this indicate that maybe I need a hotter primer? I am currently using Remington 7 1/2 br primers. I also have some WW SR primers and some Fed SRmatch, and I might have some CCI sr primers, maybe some sr mag primers (about 25yrs old) to try. Thoughts anyone (especially Hobie--I know you like this cartridge--so do I) Thanks
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT---question for you rifle 357 max users

Post by Tycer »

Not with Max, but with 360 DW, seating the bullets to engrave and cast .002" over bore size gave me the best groups in my Winnies. Mag primers and Lil'gun.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Your Ruger what a number 1? :?:

I don't use Remington primers. I use CCI. While you can start more than 3% below max with L'ilGun you can't start "low" as you can with 4227 (IMR or H). Bullets have to fit the bore, i.e. be .001" to .003" over groove diameter.

These are my loads. They all (except for the 6 gr. Unique load, I didn't bother to try it at 100 yards) give 1½" or less at 100 yards.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie, when (if) I ever get that .357 Maximum rifle I eventually WILL get, you're the man for info!

One of these days.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:Hobie, when (if) I ever get that .357 Maximum rifle I eventually WILL get, you're the man for info!

One of these days.... 8)
That's quite a compliment. :oops:

I'm awaiting Dave Deering's new 190 gr. for the Mag and Max.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Stone Fence
Levergunner

Post by Stone Fence »

Hobie,

I'll have an installment on your Mag/MAX bullets on the way in a couple of days :)

-Stone
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Great info Hobie!
I have a Dan Wesson .357SM and settled on 17.5 of H4227 and a 200 gr jacketed bullet for my accuracy load and have not searched for anything else. I need to take the SuperMag out, it has been a wile! Like many I would love a levergun in this caliber.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Yes, its a Ruger #1 rifle. Will try a different primer. Sizing my bullets to .360" diameter and right now the Lee 180gr is running just under 2,300fps with no leading and no idications of primer flattening or cratering. Guess I will keep on working at finding some more good loads. Thanks
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thunder50 wrote:Yes, its a Ruger #1 rifle. Will try a different primer. Sizing my bullets to .360" diameter and right now the Lee 180gr is running just under 2,300fps with no leading and no indications of primer flattening or cratering. Guess I will keep on working at finding some more good loads. Thanks
Check that out... I think I see your problem. You are pushing that bullet too fast. Size to .359" as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie