New model 1895sbl from Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

New model 1895sbl from Marlin

Post by WCF3030 »

Not sure if someone else has already mentioned it yet but I just saw this in the new Marlin catalog and it is mentioned on the Marlin website.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/News/press.asp#2009_4

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: New model 1895sbl from Marlin

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Nice.....That looks sorta like a WWG to me. It's nice to see a company actually look around and start producing what people want.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, it's good that manufacturers are making what people want ........ RIGHT!!!

Except they ain't making what "I" want.

I'm hoping that silly looking thing with the pickelilly rail on it sells, but I wouldn't own one on a bet. Not even if Hobie bought and paid for it and shipped it to me for free.

Ugly, gross, yuck, ewuuueeee, paleeeezzee take it away.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geeeze, That reminds me of the Ford Edsel. :lol: --------------------Only a face a "mother" could love, in this case, Momma Marlin-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Put a regular loop on it and chamber it in something besides .45-70, (I'm thinking .35 Remington or .444) and I could get used to one of them thar thangs... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Dang, I have to say I really like it? You can always take off the rail. I like the heavy barrel, 3/4 loop and full mag tube. Hmmmmm.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Aw, come on! What are those people smoking?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

BTT just to get Miller's "purist" blood flowing. :lol:
For those of us who's blood is muddied with after market sights and scout scopes here is another view of the pic. :twisted:

Here is what a similar rifle looks like with a scope. :mrgreen:

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Very practical......but not very pretty. Kinda like a sister-in-law. :D

Still glad that Marlin isn't afraid to put things out there. They DO think about us a lot.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Bogie35 wrote:Very practical......but not very pretty. Kinda like a sister-in-law. :D

Still glad that Marlin isn't afraid to put things out there. They DO think about us a lot.

bogie

Kind of like function before form.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yes, yes, yes the rail is ugly so take it off and keep the ghost ring sight and express front sight! Or don't, and scope it any way you want! Its a versitile package and one where you need to take stuff off rather than add to it. I like that idea.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

WCF3030 wrote:BTT just to get Miller's "purist" blood flowing. :lol:
For those of us who's blood is muddied with after market sights and scout scopes here is another view of the pic. :twisted:
Hey!!! You say that like it's a bad thing. Well look up what pure means :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and then get back with me.

I really don't give a hoot what they do with them. I just wish they'd make at least one or two like I want 'em.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I still want to know why Marlin wouldn't make anything out of stainless when I had the money.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I lost an 1895GS in a motor home fire 3 months ago and i think i just found its replacement :o

Everything i want in a motor home gun, foul weather put it away and forget it piece that already incorporates some of the things the GS model lacked (pistol grip stock and big loop) could care less about the laminated stick, but it does look good with stainless.

Not exactly traditional, but it looks like fun :D
----- Doug
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

J Miller wrote:
Hey!!! You say that like it's a bad thing. Well look up what pure means :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and then get back with me.

I really don't give a hoot what they do with them. I just wish they'd make at least one or two like I want 'em.

Joe
Hey this is just like fishing!! :wink:

If Marlin is listing I'd like them to bring back the cowboy in 30-30 and 38-55 for starters.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been wanting a stainless lever.

I like it. 35 Rem would be cool too!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

J Miller wrote:Well, it's good that manufacturers are making what people want ........ RIGHT!!!

Except they ain't making what "I" want.

I'm hoping that silly looking thing with the pickelilly rail on it sells, but I wouldn't own one on a bet. Not even if Hobie bought and paid for it and shipped it to me for free.

Ugly, gross, yuck, ewuuueeee, paleeeezzee take it away.

Joe
Well, I won't be buying one myself, but I'm glad Marlin is trying to give some of their customers what they want. Now if Hobie is listening, he can buy me one of these (is there a smiley for "pretty please"). :lol: :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, it's a good foul weather Scout Rifle - especially if one likes stainless/lamo.

I do wonder, however, WHY Marlin put a blue/black XS-type leverscout rail on it ILO a silver/stainless colored one !

If someone does a bit of photoshop/painting - you'd be surprised at how much that little detail would change it's appearance.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I could do without the big loop and the rail. Good lookng rifle otherwise.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It has a lot of features I don't like. It has a lot I do.

For an EBR
I like the short barrel, the full mag, the xs (I'd upgrade to a 24/7 big dot front), sling studs.
I don't like pistol grip, large loop, safety.
I'm indifferent on the stainless/laminate. I like the function of both, they look good together, but don't turn my crank. I'd just as soon have a Parkerized finish with a polymer stock with storage for cleaning supplies.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Seems like Marlin has forgotten how to make guns with straight grip stocks available on their new offerings. My ultimate Marlin would be a straight grip, stainless, laminate stock 18 1/2 in. bbl. in 308mx and/or 338mx. with XS style sights. (They can keep the picatinny rail.) Are you listening Marlin? Oh, and slim down that forend too, would you?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't think of this as a "levergun" if you're a traditionalist... Think of it as an "EBR with class" :lol: :lol:

Kind of like soy-burgers - if you think of them as would-be hamburgers, you won't like them, but if you think of them as a 'fried-bean sandwich' they are not bad.

Now, IF I was to have a levergun with lots of RAIL, I'd want it underneath the barrel, and suitable for a triple-AA Maglite to go with the Holosight I'd mount on a traditional scope mount. 8) That's how I have my Siaga set up, and I'd trade it in a minute for a levergun set up the same way - GREAT night-time stray cat/possum/raccoon/coyote medicine.

OTOH, the advantage to a big long rail like this one has would be you could mount a big (long) high-magnification scope on it better than on those short little too-close-to-your-face mounts normally used; so to me, the long rail would be better on a really accurate 'varmint' type levergun - maybe a .35 Remington with a long barrel.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

WCF3030 wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe
Hey this is just like fishing!! :wink:

If Marlin is listing I'd like them to bring back the cowboy in 30-30 and 38-55 for starters.
Now we got something we can agree on. I was seriously thinking about one of those 336 CB in 30-30 when the nit wits at Marlin dropped them.

Joe
Sonic Boom
Levergunner

Post by Sonic Boom »

Good lord, that's got to be the ugliest gun I've seen. Marlin must have stolen the designer of the Pontiac Aztec away from GM.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Well, you don't have to buy one if you don't like it. I wish they'd made them when I bought my last Marlin in 2001.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Now if Marlin would just make them in blue, straight grip, walnut stocks, Williams Foolproof installed and in .38-55 with a .375" barrel...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

I like it, but would like it in walnut and blue too! As far as sister in laws go, both of mine are beautiful.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Interesting! I am not sure I need a .45-70 lever rifle, but except for the oversized lever loop, this one looks good to me, and would be my pick of the current big-bore Marlins. Now, for the same features in a Trapper-length .357 1894, please!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

WCF3030 wrote:Image
Perfect! I'm glad I've currently got a hole to fill in my practical big bore stopping rifle line-up. This firearm ought to fill it perfectly!

However, it does look like I'll have to buy one the second it hits the streets since so many "purists" would prefer something else and this thing will likely go out of production after a few months. I sure hope Marlin does not read this topic - heck they may stop production right now, fire the engineers, and haul their building machines to the dump. Or, they might just already know that we're just an eccentric bunch of never-satisfied-unless-great-grandpa-carried-it bunch of two fingered typers.

I like it and want one.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot wrote:
WCF3030 wrote:Image
Perfect! I'm glad I've currently got a hole to fill in my practical big bore stopping rifle line-up. This firearm ought to fill it perfectly!

However, it does look like I'll have to buy one the second it hits the streets since so many "purists" would prefer something else and this thing will likely go out of production after a few months. I sure hope Marlin does not read this topic - heck they may stop production right now, fire the engineers, and haul their building machines to the dump. Or, they might just already know that we're just an eccentric bunch of never-satisfied-unless-great-grandpa-carried-it bunch of two fingered typers.
I like it and want one.
That sounds about right.

Please guys, do not take this as a personal attack or disparagement on Marlin or yourselfs, but what in the world would you want a lever action carbine for with rails and other over done mounting pads?
It defeats the entire purpose of a light fast handling go anywhere carbine. Ditch the picaninny rail, keep the sights and maybe even the lever if your gonna shoot it in the cold, and that would be a really nice gun. But that rail ........ UGH-LEEEE. I can't even stand those rails on AR-15s.

Joe
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like it. I'm not too enthused about the rail, but it comes off and a standard XS rear sight can take it's place. I wish they would have followed Jim Brockman's lead by making the comb of the stock parallel instead of so much drop. The drop just does two things: it's harder to see through a scope without lifting your head up, and the recoil and muzzle flip are more pronounced.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Whats with the cheesegrator on the top? could be a good rifle without it. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I could get used to that real quick :!: :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

J Miller wrote:Please guys, do not take this as a personal attack or disparagement on Marlin or yourselfs,
I certainly won't and don't; some folks like white trucks others like red. :)

I just figure if you're going to depart from traditional with stainless steel and plywood, you might as well go the entire way with a funny lever and modern sights and the ability to add any other modern sight, including electric, to a mounting system that's firmly attached without the aide of a plumber posing as a gunsmith wrecking the whole thing (remember the MR-7?). Whew! I need oxygen after that sentence.

Now if they'd have just chambered it in 475 Linebaugh... See I can be left wanting too.