Mossberg 464 - "Almost an endless array"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Mossberg 464 - "Almost an endless array"

Post by handyrandyrc »

From the Mossberg 2009 annual, I just read the "Visit with Iver Mossberg" article. He serves as the CEO currently, with his father as the head of the board. Iver's grandfather was the one who started the company.

Iver Mossberg:

"The lever action is now only in plain-vanilla .30-30, but you will see almost an endless array of chamberings, octagonal barrels, saddle rings, wood choices."

How exciting! My 464 is on its way back from the repair center, and I am really looking forward to give it a whirl. OJ, why not pick yours up and shoot the heck out of it? If it breaks, then send it again. Let them make it right -- all I've heard is how you've been trashing it, but there are many others that have no problems. The only ones that post about the 464 seem to be those that are unhappy -- those that shoot them trouble-free may never post.

Octagonal barrels? An almost endless array of chamberings? Sweet.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot to include the link for their 2009 annual.
http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?ID= ... tion=media
Last edited by handyrandyrc on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 464 - "Almost an endless array"

Post by tman »

if they make src in .338 marlin, i'll take a 3rd job and get one :mrgreen:
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Has any one heard any word on the .22 version?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

No I have not seen a .22LR version in person yet. However, I do also see they are new offering a a new pistol grip stock (Marlin style) in addition to the straight stock, both in centerfire chambering.
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i want this rifle to be good. i like the looks of that pistol grip!nice.hopefully they will work out the details and flaws.
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

I'd love to see a version in .32 Winchester Special.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

A 25-35 would be nice :) better yet in a new Winnie 94! :D It's just the safetys and rebounding hammers get me down on either Rifles. :(
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

handyrandyrc wrote:From the Mossberg 2009 annual, I just read the "Visit with Iver Mossberg" article. He serves as the CEO currently, with his father as the head of the board. Iver's grandfather was the one who started the company.

Iver Mossberg:

"The lever action is now only in plain-vanilla .30-30, but you will see almost an endless array of chamberings, octagonal barrels, saddle rings, wood choices."

How exciting! My 464 is on its way back from the repair center, and I am really looking forward to give it a whirl. OJ, why not pick yours up and shoot the heck out of it? If it breaks, then send it again. Let them make it right -- all I've heard is how you've been trashing it, but there are many others that have no problems. The only ones that post about the 464 seem to be those that are unhappy -- those that shoot them trouble-free may never post.

Octagonal barrels? An almost endless array of chamberings? Sweet.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot to include the link for their 2009 annual.
http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?ID= ... tion=media
I'm sure sorry you misinterpreted my post as "trashing Mossberg".

It was only intended to provide information about a defective product from a company that has been very slow in responding and correcting these defects. I have no other feelings about Mossberg and this is the only product I've ever bought from them. I figured the information might be useful to other members of this forum considering a purchase and, I'm far from the only one with bad experience with that rifle.

I have a safe full of other guns that are good shooters and I don't want to pay for range time to shoot a rifle that has yet to go through a 20 round box of ammo without some kind of failure. I'm also not comfortable shooting a gun that has been unreliable more than once from the standpoint of safety.

.Image

These work just fine and I started gun collecting when I got my first single shot bolt action .22 for my 6th birthday in 1932-

I sure didn't mean to offend you or anyone else on this forum - just trying to be helpful

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Mosberg 464...

The only one I've handled was book-ended on a rack by a couple of post 64 Winchester 94's.... for the money. based on what I saw... I'd buy a post 70 94 (about the all time Winchester low point imho) before a Mossberg.

Ejectors are simple... for that to be a problem says alot for the ability of Mossberg to get into the lever business. Mossberg does one thing well---price leader shotguns. The 500 is a staple... owned and traded more than a few of em... and would buy one again.

the rest of the late model offering is nothing to write home about.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I wouldn't buy one - not nice enough for me but I think the 1990 era 94s were the best made, my 2005 25-35 is excellent also so I am open to new production.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I'm not offended whatsoever, OJ. It's been back to the factory and returned, and it sounds like you had a screw break, which they replaced. Seems like they resolved your issues, no?

I'm still holding my judgement, but giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will stand behind their product and make it good with me.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

you're not offending by giving your honest opinion. all the gun rags write glowing reports, even the rifleman, whom i hold to a higher standard. thank you for your honesty. i want them to get the bugs out and see it made in a src. .338 marlin. 8) 8) 8)
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

444,44 mag,357mag all these would be nice maybe the later of the two in a trapper!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A trapper .357 and I'm there in arf a mo.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

handyrandyrc wrote: OJ, why not pick yours up and shoot the heck out of it? If it breaks, then send it again. Let them make it right -- all I've heard is how you've been trashing it, but there are many others that have no problems. The only ones that post about the 464 seem to be those that are unhappy -- those that shoot them trouble-free may never post.
You seem to imply that someone has actually layed hands on a trouble free one.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Saw these at the last SHOTSHOW. The quality was just not up to my standards. They can make them in any durn configuration they want, but if the fit and finish and reliability isn't there I won't buy one. They are the Hugo of leverguns.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

an affordable trapper style .45 LC "plinker" would be nice, --- doesn't have to rival a Cooper falling block in fit/finish for me for that purpose, but it would be nice if it would go more than a few boxes without "warranty issues"
----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I feel indebted to OJ for giving his honest opinion on the 464. When they first came on the market I was quite interested and hoped that Mossberg may even chamber the 464 in 32/20.
Like a lot of new and untried products there are often faults that require ironing out and OJ has pointed out things that can and should be rectified.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Something affordable in 25-20 or 32-20 would be interesting. I probably wouldn't buy one till the bugs are worked out. I wouldn't expect super fit/finish for a discount price, but I would expect it to operate trouble free.
NRA Life Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I finally looked at one at a sporting goods that did not have a zip-tie on the lever. I asked the clerk about trouble with them and he said they didn't have any come back to the store. I worked the action and it was o.k. but the rebounding hammer felt like a toy from china. I have long been a fan of Mossberg but they have work to do on this one.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I honestly wanted to see this project work, as I trust the other Mossberg products I own as completely as anything else I own, and hate buying imports. I'm simply not buying something that should never have left the factory. If they don't realise that leverguns are desireable because they're tough and rugged, they need to just stick to shotguns. Extractors that don't work is nearly unforgivable.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Travis Morgan wrote:I honestly wanted to see this project work, as I trust the other Mossberg products I own as completely as anything else I own, and hate buying imports. I'm simply not buying something that should never have left the factory. If they don't realise that leverguns are desireable because they're tough and rugged, they need to just stick to shotguns. Extractors that don't work is nearly unforgivable.
"Nearly unforgivable" ???

Maybe, if it were an isolated example - but it isn't - it seems to affect all of them. If they did any test firing after the manufacture of the new product rifle, the problem would have been evident immediately and if test firing their new rifle isn't done - how do you define "irresponsible ?? :?: :?: .
I'm not offended whatsoever, OJ. It's been back to the factory and returned, and it sounds like you had a screw break, which they replaced. Seems like they resolved your issues, no?

I'm still holding my judgement, but giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will stand behind their product and make it good with me.
NO, they only resolved the first two issues at my expense.

And, for the one posting that I had just a "broken screw" - I had an extractor fail before one magazine of six rounds went through it and I had to pay the charges for the shipping. They wanted me to ship the rifle back again for them to replacce the broken screw - again at my expense - rather than just sending me the screw. I had to convince them I had a screwdriver and was capable of replacing it. I was still out the cost of phone calls and the return to the repair place the first time.

It has been shot enough subsequent to the repairs to conclude it is just junk - it has yet to go through one magazine full (6 rounds) smoothly and without any failure to function as it should. Action is rough and undependable.

If Mossberg regrets customers having those problems, it is a well kept secret. I've been a shooter more than 78 years and this is the first experience I've ever had like this.

:x
Last edited by OJ on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

My 464 should be arriving Wednesday or thereabouts this week. I have 300 Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF sized, lubed, and ready to roll. I used my Dad's 464 to measure how deeply to seat the Ranch Dog boolit. Seated to the crimp groove, lever has a slight bit of friction at closing, as the boolit engages the lands. I tried seating out 1 extra groove, but it engaged rifling too soon, and made closing the action a bit too difficult. These will work well in the 464 throat as Ranch Dog designed it. I dipped in liquid Alox , let sit on bases to dry, and sized afterwards, true Ranch-Dog style.

I imagine I will start around 1500 fps and see how they run. At a 1 in 10" twist, 1500 fps will put me somewhere around 110,000 RPM. I'll work up from there and see what happens. I hope to get to 1700-1800 fps if the boolits can take the RPMs! I guess the paper will tell the story. I will post more as I get results.