Sorry no pics this time!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Sorry no pics this time!

Post by Nath »

I have just come down with flue and am full of medicinal malts so expect more than usual mis-spellings :oops:
It has been an interesting weekend, Friday I bought a Berreta M/L shotgun! It came not cheap but with alot of shot some powder and caps. It is a shame the guy did not know how to look after a BP barrel :cry: Anyway way I shot it yesterday and had two pheasant and a wood pigeon-it fits perfectly how ever I missed an alot of stuff so my patterns are poor for sure! My card wads are looser than in the Pedersoli so I will open the punch some, I feel sure this is where the fault is and will soon sort it :)
Interestingly I have read that these superimposed shoot ball real good and I can report it is true, bottom barrel is smack on at 40 paces and the top barrel 3" higher-might come in handi one day :wink: It rained yesterday and boy did I end up black from the powder :roll: Love it!
After a frozen night and fox's yaping all night I just had to be in my woods for first light so with 94 in hand I made a stand and gave a call, then another call. After 20 mins I noticed something to my left but it was obscured by brashings. The light breese was left to right most of the time but every now and then right to left and do you know what - that was a fox in the brash and it waited untiill the wind was in it's favour and made an approach. I unfortunatley was looking the other way :roll: but heard it and just as I was getting on it it about turned and scarperd, it never saw me just smelt me. That is some smart fox and it will never come to my call again!
I moved to a new area and made a new stand. After 20 mins of calling I was about to give up when 100yds to my right some pheasants flew out of the bracken-hmm I thought and kept watch. Looking in the same direction but at say 70yds he showed very cautiously. As I turned my coat brushed on the tree I was standing by and now the fox was fixed on me, both of us was locked on to each other and I could not move with the carbine half mounted! Luckily a scrubby birch was between us and helped to break my outline and the moment he turned his head I was on his shoulder and touched her off. On the shot I thought I had pulled it to the left and was expecting a miss but no it was a good shot, staight on the left shoulder and out the right ribs. A beautifull specimen, I love them as they are there but you just don,t see'em unless you can tease them out or have some luck. A very intelligent worthy preditor being out smarted by another preditor. Make mine a 94 in 30/30 :D
When I got home the flue came on real strong so I hit the Medicine :oops:
Sure hope I can get out tomorrow- on hols now and got flue :roll:
Merry X mass.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nath, thanks for posting. I enjoy your fox hunting posts. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

happy holiday

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath, I enjoy your posts. I hope you feel better soon. I also hope that pictures will follow on your new shotgun. Congrats on the fox.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath,
Hope you get to felling better. You might try a different call on the foxes next time to get that smart one that you schooled. He might not be wary of a different sound.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hmm Rusty, I shall have to go through the sqeaky toys in a toy store when next in town-that'll please the mrs no end :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the post Nath. I always enjoy them.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath - I too look forward to your posts and pictures. Understand why the latter is not available. Take care of yourself - hope you get better soon!

Merry Christmas! :D
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nice post and hunt.

What do you do with the hides?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

WCF3030, I don't make a hide Sir I just look for a Tree in the "right" spot hopefully with some brashing or scrubby birch about etc.
Happy Christmass :D Need more medicine now :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Nath, you're a welcome contributor to this site. Hope you're healthy in short order, but maybe that unexpected sneeze'll draw the little critter in, sorta like a call, don't ya know! Ya gotta use whatever helps ta fill your game bag, right? Whatdya think? jd45
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Nath...you're all right!

Post by LeverBob »

JD has something Nath...if you hold your mouth & sneeze, it might come close to a dying rabbit call. Try other stuff as well...be creative.
Like:

Blow your nose=a rabbit pharte! :D

Plug one side of your nose, sneeze & it should sound like a...well ..you know.

Open your mouth & nose wide & sneeze =a rabbit taking (uh leaving) a pile of warm gooey scat. Perfect spoor.

If you sneeze hard enough you might even break wind. :shock: It should make him jump out into the open. Don't sneeze too hard though, heh!

One time I plugged up everything & sneezed thru my butt...took 20 minutes for the fire dept. to pull me back down from the ceiling! :roll:

Like your posts pard, hope you feel better tomorrow.

LeverBob