what new gun are you planning on buying this year

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: what new gun are you planning on buying this year

Post by stretch »

Well, I was gonna buy a Browning Hi-Power this year. So, today the 12-year-old lad and I moseyed on
down to the Kittery Trading Post in southern Maine. This is THE largest (or one of the top 2 or 3
largest) gun dealers on the East Coast. They usually have a dozen or so showcases chock-full of handguns,
and racks and racks of long guns. I just couldn't belive it when I got there. Here was my list of possibles:

Browning Hi-Power
Henry Survival 22 OR
Henry Leveraction 22
Ruger conversion SA in 357/9mm
Handi Rifle in 30-30
Baikal Air Pistol
CZ in 10mm - SA
Ruger Revolver in 41 Mag (SA or DA)
RCBS Universal Decapping Die
Bulk pack of 22 patches

Guess what I walked out with?

Nothing - Nada - Zero....

They had a Henry 22 that looked a little bit shop-worn, and Golden Boy that was a little
pricey for me, a CZ (DA) for $1100(!) and that's as close as I came.

NO black rifles, NOTHING in 41 Mag, NO Hi-Powers (usually there are at least 8 or 10 to choose from),
not even enough cleaning patches! Handgun showcases are down to only about 6, and the rifle racks
are half-empty.

I had no idea the Obama-panic was this bad!!!

I've got my list, and some mad money from my yearly bonus. NO guns though. :lol: :shock:
It's not often I've got money and can't find a gun to buy!!!! :lol:

So, if anybody has a nice Hi-Power (in 9 mm) at a reasonable price, please let me know.

-Stretch
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

A hammer drilling, an old Savage 99 (C, B, or A in that order of preference), a Browning A-bolt 12 ga rifled barrel.
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

338mx and a winchester 22 wildcat
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I DIDN'T have any plans to buy but a new shotgun this year. Was @ EMF on Friday to visit the owner and look at the TTN copy of the Colt 1878 shotgun copy they're getting. I wanted to handle one before buying. Was impressed and will possibly have to get one later as they clobbered me over the head, stole what little sense I possessed and and sweet-talked me into buying their very last Iron-Framed Henry. The fact that it's in .45 Colt knocked me off my feet and I landed hard, squeezed the wallet out of my pocket and I was taken advantage of!

Pics to follow. Now I only have to get my grubby lil' paws on it, sneak it past the little woman and pretend it's been there all along!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I am going to try real hard and go without buying any guns this yr. :shock:
This yr. is all about stocking up on ammo. :wink:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

We'll be up in the US for a couple months this summer. I'm hoping to pick up a Baikal IZH 46M to haul back down with me. Other than that, there's not much I can aspire to. I also plan to pick up some dies for a Mighty Mite swaging press, those are the major purchases I'm hoping to pull off.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, I'm sure something I can't live without will appear! :wink:
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Planning on?

357 SuperMag from Dan Wesson
Another 44/40 Iron Frame Henry
a Ruger #1 in either 222, 220 swift of 25-06.
More 38/44's.

Beyond that if I am lucky
Model 52 of some type
Another Registered Magnum
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

One of each and two of some. 8)

Either a H&R BC in 45-70 (yes I said it) and shoot black powder or a H&R 500 S&W plus a 20ga.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I have a Marlin 1894CB in .357 mag, and a pre-keyhole S&W M649, both on layaway at the local enabler, so I reckon I will start with those. Having finally finished building an AR around a Colt HBAR upper receiver I bought in 2007, I could use a lighter-barreled flat-top upper receiver unit which would be better for carrying at work, and better for fighting in close quarters. (I do police patrol, and my chief finally signed off on letting us use optical sights; my aging eyes can use the help.) After that, I really should lay off the mundane purchases and start saving toward fulfilling some dreams, such as a Shiloh Sharps or a Lone Star Rolling Block, which would probably mean delivery well after 2009, for reasons of finance as well as the backlog. Well, that is, if I can avoid the temptation to put a Browning BLR Takedown on lay-awake.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
ShowMeState1977
Levergunner

Post by ShowMeState1977 »

I plan on getting the Marlin 1894C out of lay away this year and maybe a Springfield XDM 9mm handgun if they are still legal when I get the funds to buy one.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Maybe my old 86 in 40-82 that I sold 10 years ago and regretted ever since, only buy smokeless powder 86's, have six 86's and one 94 lined up at Cabela's they only total about $38000-00 so I just dream and drool and hope I win the lottery, if that ever happens it's of to the Big Toy Shop in the Air the good ole U S of A for toy buying. YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I would also like to add a 25-20 or a Marlin 218 Bee to the mix and hopefully a few pre-64 Winchester 22's - a bolt action sporter model is first, either a 69A or 75 (wishing for a 52), maybe a single shot, and a pump later 1890.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

I would
Last edited by thornblom on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I have a couple of custom revolvers that should be done this year :D If the Gods are willing a Freedom arms premier 83 in 44 mag, 6" barrel ,trigger job and round butted grip frame :!:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was a little out of control in 2008, and left the newsroom for a low-paying job at Sportsman's Warehouse so don't have near the funds that I am used to. But of course now I handle firearms all day long five days a week, and it can be agony. At the top of my current short list:
A Benelli Montefeltro, UltraLight or M2 in 20 gauge.
A Ruger Charger .22 for fun, fun, fun!
A Marlin XLR in .45-70.
A Ruger Single Six.
A Ruger SP101 in .357 or a Beretta Stampede in same.
For any of this to happen, I'll have to sell some guns out of the safe ...
Also have three current projects:
A 1950 Marlin 336 that has been rebarreled to .25-35 needs the forearm fitted and a polish and reblue;
A Swedish rolling block rebarreled to .50-70 needs to be stocked and blued.
A Martini action needs to be barreled and chambered to .40-90 Peabody What Cheer (custom reamer required).
Waaaay too much on my plate!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont know really...
I almost bought a modified model 92 in 38-40
that was cut to trapper length...7 bills ...but I passed...
But it will be most likely Ruger Vaqueros in 357s for CAS
I will decide this weekend when I go to LAST STAND
Florida State Cowboy Action Shooting Championships..
Also thinking about a Uberti 76 in 45-60...
I dont have a big bore yet!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I'm expecting that prices will mean I'm going to have to be satisfied with what I have. I'm not selling anything.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if i hit the lottery; 1895 src 06, glock 17 or another 1911a1, trapper;either 94 -30wcf or puma.357, colt.22 new frontier and a blunderbuss. i can dream, can't i?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buffboy wrote:I have a tendency to impulse buy, my wife plans. Last year, I got one, my wife got three. It seems I'm running behind but really I'm still ahead by about 30. A lightweight commander in 45acp is a real possibility this year but not really "planned".
You didn't ask, but... I would advise getting a std Combat Commander, especially if you're going with a 45ACP and plan on shooting it a lot. Maybe new ones are better, but I've heard some por reviews of the lightweights.
Nite Ryder wrote:
NonPCnraRN wrote:I am collecting my CAS guns, one gun per completed semester of college. I have 2 Ruger NVs in 45 Colt, an inherited 97 shotgun and now will be looking for a Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt. I was also thinking of a 92 in 45 Colt but the Marlin is easier to work on with drop in trigger kits, one piece firing pins, etc. Plus the bolt can be removed for cleaning. The Marlin is as period correct as the Rugers (not), but legal according to SASS.
Just a word about CAS guns. Most of us end up shooting 38 special instead of 45 C, but there are a few hangers on who still stick to the 45's. You need a 45C if you intend to shoot in the Classic Cowboy Category. Get a 92 or 94 as the very last resort. They are difficult to slick up, and can never be as slick as a Marlin 1894C. Buying a Marlin Cowboy is a waste of money as long as the 1894C is available, they look different but are no better. The 1894CBC also looks different than the standard 1894C, but doesn't shoot any better. I just spent two days working on a friend's 1894CBC (38 special only) and it still doesn't feed shorter cartridges very well. Marlin's are your best buy for a Cowboy rifle if cost is a concern. A toggle action rifle like a '73 or '66 makes the best Cowboy Rifle as far as speed goes because you can install a short stroke kit, but they are expensive at about $1000, compared to a Marlin being about $400.
NR
For another word about CAS guns, see: Another Word About CAS Guns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Well, already a change of plans since my last post here. I went to liberate the stainless pre-keyhole S&W snubby from layaway, and instead left with a SIG P229 in .40 S&W, another of the first run of the "SAS" limited edition, with a dehorned slide, spurless hammer, and DAK trigger system, a form of double-action-only. The best part is the sight set-up; tritium dot up front, and the old standard SIG factory rear, no tritium. This one was pre-owned, appearing to have been shot little, and not carried at all. Everything I like, and nothing I don't. SIG's DAK pistols are the closest thing to a professionally sweetened K-frame sixgun trigger I have found among autoloaders. This makes a pair in this configuration for me; just about perfection in the quest for Perfect Packin' Pistols.

The current edition of the P229 SAS has two tritium dots in the rear sight, which drives my vision nuts, and the trigger system is DA first shot, then SA thereafter, until decocked. I can work OK with DA/SA, but DAK is sweeter.

The Marlin 1894CB remains on layaway; I will liberate it later this month.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Ruger New Model Super Black Hawk, 44 mag, 4, and 5/8th" barrel ,satin stanless. and an 1895 Marlin.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:
Buffboy wrote:A lightweight commander in 45acp is a real possibility this year but not really "planned".
You didn't ask, but... I would advise getting a std Combat Commander, especially if you're going with a 45ACP and plan on shooting it a lot. Maybe new ones are better, but I've heard some por reviews of the lightweights.
And I'd like to recommend the Para-Ord LTC... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ruger 357 50th Year Flattop

Shot it this Sunday, love the size and handling seems to shoot great and the fit and finish is excellent. 1200 fps with 158 gr. Blazer ammo.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=31
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...