Mini 348 Range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Mini 348 Range report

Post by RKrodle »

I've had some 250 gr loads form Grizzly Cartridge for a couple of months and finally got off my duff and ran them across my chronograph. I didn't check for accuracy this time around because I could barely keep my chrono upright from the cross wind. This load is using the 250 gr Kodiak bullet. Grizzly's web site has these listed as coming soon but they have them ready to go. Mike is in the process of revamping his web site so it's not up to date as of right now.

I got an average velocity of 2392 fps. These things are cooking. This is from a 20 inch barrel. Mike says he gets 2500 from his 24" 71. With a 6 inch kill zone it gives you 230 yrd point blank range. 3" high at 100, dead on at 200 and 5.5 low at 250 yrds. For anyone that's into the numbers: PO Ackley 60, TKO 30, Matunas OGW 1283. Muzzle energy of 3176 ft/lbs.

Recoil wasn't bad at all, and there was no sticky cases. If the wind ever quiets blowing I checkit out for accuracy, if it's like the rest of Mike's ammo I'm sure it will be a tack driver.
Ricky

DWWC
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mini 348 Range report

Post by JReed »

Sweet! That should do the trick for just about anything you care to shoot with it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Thanks for the report; I've wondered about that particular offering from Grizzly and with your report I might have to order a few boxes and give them a try.

My standard load fires the 200 grain Barnes X-Bullet at 2500 fps. I expect this will serve for just about anything short of bull elk in the thickets or an angry sow who's cub I just tripped over.

I've got a couple boxes of 220 grain Barnes X-Bullets as well, but will likely stock up on some standard 200 grain Hornady stuff and a bunch of 250 offerings, like the Barnes original.

I tend to stay away from bonded bullets, like the Kodiak, simply because it usually takes a good bit of velocity to get them to expand. If you've tried these bullets on anything (deer, pigs, bear, elk) I'd sure like to hear about it; especially regarding terminal velocity and expansion. Again, thanks for the report.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Nice! Those are impressive numbers indeed. I look forward to your next range reoprt regarding accuracy. I imagine they thump your shoulder pretty good too shooting from bench...were you using a pad?
Chad
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Idiot wrote: I tend to stay away from bonded bullets, like the Kodiak, simply because it usually takes a good bit of velocity to get them to expand. If you've tried these bullets on anything (deer, pigs, bear, elk) I'd sure like to hear about it; especially regarding terminal velocity and expansion. Again, thanks for the report.
Idiot,
I haven't shot anything as of yet, maybe I'll have a chance at the April Levergun Safari. Mike shot a Moufon(sp) a couple of months ago, not much of a test. They video taped it and he said it looked strange when the bullet impacted the animal so they played it again in slow motion. He said you could see shock waves move out from the impact area when the bullet hit. :o
71fan wrote:Nice! Those are impressive numbers indeed. I look forward to your next range reoprt regarding accuracy. I imagine they thump your shoulder pretty good too shooting from bench...were you using a pad?
71fan,
The recoil really wasn't to bad, I did put a pad because I didn't know what to expect :D . I hope to have time in a few days to check accuracy, but I'm really not that great of a shot anymore with irons, so I may not be able to do it justice.
Ricky

DWWC
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I shot a full box of those a few months back along with a bunch of the standard Winchester 200gr Silvertips. They were quite an eye opener after having fired the regular stuff. I wasn't expecting that level of oomph at the time. I believe I was averaging in the 2480's from my Browning with an extreme spread of 9 fps.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Thanks for the positive reports on the ammo guys. I shot the Mouflon at around 70 yds. The total live weight was 154 pounds. I shot it head on to get an idea of penetration. The bullet struck just above the breast notch and exited in the center of the right ham. The exit hole was .77 leading me to believe the expansion was in the .60 caliber range with the excess being the tearing of flesh and skin. The Kodiak bullets have a lot of lead exposed that help them expand at some pretty low velocities. Additionally, they are manufactured with a process that has the lead slightly softer at the front of the bullet. The jacket is also tapered just a hair, thinner up front. We have never had one fail to expand at all even at velocities down to 1100 something fps. Going from apples to oranges for a minute, Joe has gotten outstanding performance from the 458's out to 300+ yds, meaning the velocity was from 2000 fps muzzle to 1500 fps past 300 yds. Pretty consistent expansion over a range of 500 fps for such a large bullet. Similarly, that 348 will expand well within 1000 fps range, with .70 caliber likely at high impact velocity and closer to .55 at the lower velocities.
Last edited by Mike Rintoul on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That's a killer.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

Idiot wrote:I tend to stay away from bonded bullets, like the Kodiak, simply because it usually takes a good bit of velocity to get them to expand. If you've tried these bullets on anything (deer, pigs, bear, elk) I'd sure like to hear about it; especially regarding terminal velocity and expansion. Again, thanks for the report.
I popped a 330# blackie this spring with Buffalo Bores 250gr Kodiak load at 35yds. Bullet took him point of right front shoulder and was found in his "nut sack" :shock: . Noooooo problem with expansion.

I can take some pics of it if somebody can post them.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Mike Rintoul wrote:Thanks for the positive reports on the ammo guys. I shot the Mouflon at around 70 yds. The total live weight was 154 pounds. I shot it head on to get an idea of penetration. The bullet struck just above the breast notch and exited in the center of the right ham. The exit hole was .77 leading me to believe the expansion was in the .60 caliber range with the excess being the tearing of flesh and skin. The Kodiak bullets have a lot of lead exposed that help them expand at some pretty low velocities. Additionally, they are manufactured with a process that has the lead slightly softer at the front of the bullet. The jacket is also tapered just a hair, thinner up front. We have never had one fail to expand at all even at velocities down to 1100 something fps. Going from apples to oranges for a minute, Joe has gotten outstanding performance from the 458's out to 300+ yds, meaning the velocity was from 2000 fps muzzle to 1500 fps past 300 yds. Pretty consistent expansion over a range of 500 fps for such a large bullet. Similarly, that 348 will expand well within 1000 fps range, with .70 caliber likely at high impact velocity and closer to .55 at the lower velocities.
Al wrote:
Idiot wrote:I tend to stay away from bonded bullets, like the Kodiak, simply because it usually takes a good bit of velocity to get them to expand. If you've tried these bullets on anything (deer, pigs, bear, elk) I'd sure like to hear about it; especially regarding terminal velocity and expansion. Again, thanks for the report.
I popped a 330# blackie this spring with Buffalo Bores 250gr Kodiak load at 35yds. Bullet took him point of right front shoulder and was found in his "nut sack" :shock: . Noooooo problem with expansion.
THIS POST AND BUNCH OF RESPONSES ARE WORTH THE COST OF ADMISSION FOR SURE. THANKS GUYS. I MUST GET A GOOD SUPPLY OF THESE BULLETS (AND A FEW BOXES OF AMMO AS WELL - BOTH FROM GRIZZLY AND BUFFALO BORE).
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

I shoot the 450gr and 500gr Kodiaks from my 50 Alaskan and 50-110, bears didn't go anywheres when hit by them either, but I never recovered any of those bullets.

I also have 5-6 boxes of the old .348 230gr Northforks to load and play with this spring.

I've had excellent results on elk and moose with Northforks in my 338-378 Weatherby.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

:? So where does one obtain Grizzly's 348 Winchester cartridges? :?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks for the update! Makes me want to get a M71... and boy do I know what you mean about the wind. That last time out to the range (last week) the wind literally tore my target off of the stand! I had to staple all around the darn thing to keep it in place.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the high desert of Washington State. Although I have to say the winds haven't been to bad this winter.
Old Law Dawg
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Idiot wrote::? So where does one obtain Grizzly's 348 Winchester cartridges? :?
I bought mine from Midway a while back. They show backordered at the moment. I suppose Mike may have some on the shelves at Grizzly though. Maybe worth a PM.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Idiot wrote::? So where does one obtain Grizzly's 348 Winchester cartridges? :?
Call Mike at 503-556-3006.
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ricky, that .348 sounds like fun. I haven't bought any loaded cartridges from Grizzly, but the cast bullets I have bought worked great at the range. I need to get more, load them up and go hunting somewhere.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ricky - you get that 348 to the April Leverguns Safari and try it out.

Piller - get your bullets and join us as well.

That is a combination I would like to see in action!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When in April, what dates? 86er did you post the dates in this forum already? If so, I need to look it up.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Piller, Here you go, hope you can make it.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=11229
Ricky

DWWC
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Every black tailed deer and mule deer I ever aimed at went down with a .348 in 200 grain Silver Tip, as well as one Oregon elk. It was as if a .22 rimfire shot a mouse, instant death. Those Grizzly cartridges might well give a hippo or a rhino a pretty good headache if a head shot was delivered. OOOOHHH I bet that would smart"
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I had forgotten about the post for the spring safari. I better put in for vacation that weekend so I can be there to Ricky take something with that .348. I'll do everything I can to be there.
D. Brian Casady