Uberti 73 carbine made meat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Uberti 73 carbine made meat

Post by barbarossa »

My Uberti 73 carbine in 22lr has finally made meat.Out for a little bunny hunt and this was the result. Im in love with this little carbine and wish Uberti had of made more of them.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Uberti 73 carbine made meat

Post by gamekeeper »

They are great guns, :D I wish mine had been better looked after before I got it. :x It still was accurate and I had a few long range bunnies with it. :wink:
The dealer I sold it to still has it on his shelf at £200.00, If our gun laws were less restrictive I'd buy it back and restore it to its former glory.

Last edited by gamekeeper on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats just fantastic :D
That rabbit looks like our mountain hare, when ever I was up Scotland I had to bring one back for a guy who ate hares but prefered the mountain ones as aposed to our brown hare.
So what was the shot and what ammo did you use?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Little guy gave me a good chase,spooked him a few times but because of the thick brush he kept getting away.I out flanked him and cut him off on one of his escapes.Was using winchester brand cheap bulk stuff but still accurate.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:D its good when you have to work for them.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hasenpfefer! You need another or two but...

-----------------------------
3 lb hare, cut into pieces
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 cup dry red wine
1 tbsp instant chicken bouillon
10 black peppercorns, crushed
1/4 tsp dried rosemary leaves, crushed
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup water
1 tbsp currant jelly
1 small bay leaf
1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves
3 tbsp water

Cooking:

Sprinkle hare with salt. Coat with 1/3 cup flour, shake off excess. Fry bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Brown a few pieces of rabbit in hot bacon fat, remove browned pieces. Repeat with remaining rabbit. Remove all but 2 tablespoons fat.

Cook and stir shallots and garlic in hot fat in Dutch oven until shallots are tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in wine, 1 cup water and the instant bouillon. Heat to boiling. Stir in jelly, peppercorns, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme. Return hare and bacon to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until rabbit is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

Remove bay leaf and discard. Place rabbit on warm platter, keep warm while preparing gravy. Stir lemon juice into liquid in Dutch oven. Shake 3 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons flour in covered jar. Stir flour 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves in cheesecloth bag.

And here you have your Hasenpfeffer - German rabbit stew.

--------
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Is it good?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:They are great guns, :D I wish mine had been better looked after before I got it. :x It still was accurate and I had a few long range bunnies with it. :wink:
The dealer I sold it to still has it on his shelf at £200.00, If our gun laws were less restrictive I'd buy it back and restore it to its former glory.

John, what was wrong with it? You know that dealer never did try to get in touch with me. Right now (today), 200 UK pounds is $290 US dollars. I'd be curious what it would cost to get it here. I'm flat broke right now, but who knows, maybe it will still be around in another couple months... :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay, It looks real good in the photo and I suppose there is not a lot wrong with it, I think it got knocked about in the safe more than in the field, some pretty deep scratches in the woodwork and nearly all the screws are buggered. I tried to get new USA made screws but could not find any in the UK, since then I have used Numrich Arms for lots of parts and I could have probably got them there, Dur!!! :oops:
The worst problem it had, that stopped me from restoring it, was that it misfired a lot and I couldn't seem to fix it. A bit of TLC and new screws would go a long way to making it good but I suspect that the previous owner had abused it enough to make it unreliable.
I spoke to the dealer about your interest in it but he said it is so much trouble to export guns from the UK, unless you are talking Holland and Holland prices, that it's just not worth it.
If anyone knows a way to export it that does not cost a fortune or take 6 months and an "Act of Parliament" let me know!
GuntraderUK sometimes has them and .22 66s for sale from different dealers that might be more inclined to export!
It sure was a cool gun and accurate, didn't like Winchester sub sonics though, wouldn't chamber them!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

John - thanks for checking. I can understand if it is such a pain for such a reasonably-priced gun (just wish the dealer would have e-mailed me to that effect). Actually, given the UK's gun laws, I can't see that it would not have been a royal PITA!

I wouldn't want to incur all the cost for an unreliable gun. I guess I will just need to keep my eyes open over here!

Thanks!!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay, I found these on GUNTRADERUK. http://www.guntrader.co.uk - Cached

Seller Details
Nick And Conrad Cross - Bate & Cross - 4 North Western Arcade, Corporation Street, Birmingham, West Midlands. B2 5LHTel: 0121-236 7451, Fax: 0121-236 2360Gun Details[This gun was for sale as of 12:08, 22 Dec 08]Navy Arms .22 LR Mod. 73 Carbine. Under Lever second hand Rifle (R/H), £225 @ US$344
Description Italian copy of winchester 73, nicely figured stock. Very accurate.

Seller Details
Richard Reeve - Newavon Arms - 13-15 Lodway, Pill, Bristol, Avon. BS20 0DHTel: 01275-372 404, Fax: 01275-372 315Gun Details[This gun was for sale as of 14:40, 20 Dec 08]Uberti .22 LR Under Lever second hand Rifle (R/H), £300 @ US$459
Licence: Firearm
Serial #: 6030
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

If the Uberti was easliy obtainable I would buy it for spare parts for mine.