Browning 53

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Browning 53

Post by barbarossa »

Anyone shoot a Browning 53 in 32/20 and what do you use it for besides plinking
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 53

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Mine is very accurate with cast or jacketed bullets. So far it has only punched holes in paper. I have many rifles to use for Varmint/small game hunting but it will get used for its intended purpose eventually. :D
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't have a 53( though I think they're one of the est looking levers ever made) but i've knocked off a lot of critters with my .32-20s.

Woodchucks, possum, racoon, stray cats and a really nasty wild dog. I hated to do that but he was bent on attacking the horses.

Probably my all time favorite cartridge.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

I shoot a few steel critters with mine from time to time, and punch holes in paper a bit. I've always been afraid to take it hunting. Too purty! :D

Steve
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Saying a gun is too pretty to hunt is like saying a woman is too pretty to kiss. Go kill some groundhogs or other varmints, squirrels and rabbits, maybe even some deer. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Jason. It may not be my favorite but its in the top three! I've shot truckloads of squirrels with an 1892, along with partridges, snakes, rocks, trees, old cars, oh, just about everything except elephants. :D The 32-20 is also my #1 pistol caliber levergun silhouette cartridge. I've got 1892's, Remington pump guns, Colt Lightnings, S&W, and Colt handguns chambered for that excellent round. :D Many a round of 32-20 loaded with 5.5 grains of Unique behind a 115 grain cast plain base or gas check bullet has been pushed down the barrels of my rifles. 3 grains of Bullseye gets loaded in the handguns------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The Browning Model 53 is a beautiful gun. I do not have one, but I do have a 32-20. The 32-20 is one of my favorite cartridges. I've taken care of a lot of Ground hogs with mine, and three problem beaver that were cutting down all my trees.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
dimrod
Levergunner

Post by dimrod »

Like KirkD,

I have an original Winchester model 53 in 32WCF. With 115 gr. gas check lead bullets, it is very accurate. I use it to shoot arctic hares, red fox, and parka (ground) squirrels. The cast bullet is kind to the fur and meat if you want to salvage any of your game. Mine also has a tang sight. I would not part with my rifle.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I bought a NIB 53 last year, got ammo, dies, extra brass. But like a lot of my guns, it sits "waiting to be kissed", she is like that beautiful woman and needs a good using, maybe this week I'll let this post get me going.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hobie wrote:Saying a gun is too pretty to hunt is like saying a woman is too pretty to kiss. Go kill some groundhogs or other varmints, squirrels and rabbits, maybe even some deer. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Very true.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

barbarossa,

I've owned a Browning Model 53 since 1998, but I had not shot it much until (like my buddy, Sixgun) I made the .32-20 my pistol cartridge silhouette gun in 2005. Although the model 53 is a bit muzzle-light to be an ideal off-hand rifle, I shoot it well and have posted several 34 x 40 scores.

My load is similar to Sixgun's -- 5 grains of Unique under a Saeco #322, 118 grain bullet. The gun also likes 2015 powder.

The Browning Model 53 is a great litle gun and the .32-20 a wonderful cartridge.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I just bought an Uberti `73` 24" rifle in .32WCF . It`s very accurate with the Lyman 115PB bullet over 7gr. 2400 and CCI 400 primer.
It shoots cast as well as my `53` but the Browning can be pushed a lot harder than the`73` can. :D

I found my `53` a couple years ago at my local dealers NIB for $700
I mounted a Marbles tang sight later and it made a vast improvement in my ability to make tiny groups with it. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When I add a 53 to my collection I am to do so in .32-20 WCF. Sounds like it would be a fun gun for varmit shooting!!! :D