OT-Nostalgia...Old Time Radio

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Nostalgia...Old Time Radio

Post by slimster »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyWcUS9 ... re=related This will get some of you guys' memories revved up! I sometimes think I was born a little too late, but I still remember a few of the radio shows that were still playing in the '60s. I love the old horror, mysteries, comedies, and jazz and big band and cowboy music. There are some good sites for the old shows on the net, if you weed through all the commercial stuff. Does anybody have any favorite links? I will go through my favorites folder sometime soon and sort out some of mine to post. Any other old radio fans out there?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT-Nostalgia...Old Time Radio

Post by Blaine »

I could cheerfully and willingly listen to nothing written before 1950.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

I listen to these all the time.
Some of the old mysteries are great but the Lone Ranger and Gunsmoke are my favorites.
Nothing like a good western.

http://www.otr.net/

http://www.radiolovers.com/

Bob A
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Prarie Home Companion" is sometimes good, but it is on NPR, and their generally statist, anti-gun drivel that passes for 'news' and 'commentary' leaves me irritated. It's on Saturday around 6pm and Sunday am. Garrison Keiler really is a good story teller and comedian (and writer), though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Any place to find "I Love a Mystery"?
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Gun Smith wrote:Any place to find "I Love a Mystery"?
Try this: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query ... Mystery%22
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

AJMD429 wrote:"Prarie Home Companion" is sometimes good, but it is on NPR, and their generally statist, anti-gun drivel that passes for 'news' and 'commentary' leaves me irritated. It's on Saturday around 6pm and Sunday am. Garrison Keiler really is a good story teller and comedian (and writer), though.
I had to stop listening to PHC because of the NPR viewpoint. Too bad, because I like Guy Noir and The Lives Of The Cowboys.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Oh Yeah!

I grew up listen to The Lone Ranger, Cisco and Pancho, and various mysteries, like The Shadow. I had a radio next to my bed and it was on all night long.

I still listen to radio at night. Now it's a tiny thing that's under my pillow and I listen to bloomberg and the mysteries of our corrupt government and our corrupt politicians, and the effects they are having on our economy and our way of life...

such is the downside of growing up...

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My first several radios had to warm the tubes up before you could listen to them...... I don't care what they say: Tube radios sounded better than the newfangled ones :x
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I picked up this exact model http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/silv0701.jpg 20 years ago in perfect working condition for 40 bucks at the local flea market.. Bands include:
"American Broadcast" (AM) "Foreign" "Police" & "Aviation" bands.. Cities are named on the Foreign Broadcast bands.. some cities on that band do not exist any more.. Like Warsaw.. I like to listen to the Indy 500..That takes me way back.. Night time there's no telling where in the world I'll land...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

BlaineG wrote:My first several radios had to warm the tubes up before you could listen to them...... I don't care what they say: Tube radios sounded better than the newfangled ones :x
Lots of folks would agree with you on that BlaineG, seeing as prices are so high for the old tube-type stereo receivers, especially the Marantz.
Ben_Rumson wrote:I picked up this exact model http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/silv0701.jpg 20 years ago in perfect working condition for 40 bucks at the local flea market.. Bands include:
"American Broadcast" (AM) "Foreign" "Police" & "Aviation" bands.. Cities are named on the Foreign Broadcast bands.. some cities on that band do not exist any more.. Like Warsaw.. I like to listen to the Indy 500..That takes me way back.. Night time there's no telling where in the world I'll land...
That's a neat old radio Ben. It would undoubtedly bring a lot more than 40 dollars on flea bay this day and time! Change the dial to a tv screen and it reminds me a lot of the television set we had when I was a kid! (B.&W. of course.)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Slimster.. The "Seeing Eye" tuning tube in my radio is a big buck item & has been even when I picked up my radio...The tube emits a green V shaped light that narrows when the station being sought is fully tuned in.. Looks really cool in a dimly lit room.. Say by the light cast by the Christmas tree..Christmas time is really good for old radio...Like Bing singing a classic or two..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY