OT: Heritage .22MAG/.22LR Revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Heritage .22MAG/.22LR Revolvers

Post by Modoc ED »

I didn't want to step on the Ruger .22LR thread so I'll ask my question here.

Is anyone familiar with the Heritage Manufacturing line of .22MAG/.22LR revolvers?
ED
Yer never too old
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT: Heritage .22MAG/.22LR Revolvers

Post by Sixgun »

Ed,
I can't speak personally on Heritage Arms, but another buddy of mine who has a gunshop (www.millersgunshop.com) carries their line. He likes 'em and says they sell well and don't come back. I have handled them and mechanically, they are great. Fit and finish are below a Ruger but then again, so is the price.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

they are what they are. I dont care for the funky safety...

I'd figure they dont come back as returns simply because they dont get bought by folks who shoot alot. I ended up with one in a trade and found a new home for it pretty quickly.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I bought one of 'em to go plinking with my son. They're fine for that. They are not as nice as the Ruger, but
then again, you're not paying for as nice as the Ruger. Accuracy is good, but not great. You'll probably lose
the local bullseye match with it. On the other hand, 1-inch groups at 25 yards are certainly possible. The trigger
on mine is actually pretty good. The safety, as noted above, is funky. I never use it anyway, so it's only a
cosmetic issue. The grip could be reshaped a little bit for comfort. The sights are quite good by any standard.
The square front post has a light-catching insert in it that shows up as a red dot in the center of the sight,
leaving the top edge of the post nice and square and sharp. The cylinders can be changed very quickly without
the use of tools. For the money, I think it's all right.
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

I have the nickel finish one, have had it for years now. I like it, has handled a lot of rounds in a day while out shooting whistle pigs. I think mine has a different front ramp from the poster above.

If I could make one change, it would be remove the stupid safety, and make it a traditional SA. I have found accuracy great, and use it with my kids, and as a way to get the kids started shooting pistols. I can easily hit eggs at 25yds with it.

Anyway, for the money, they are a good little revolver in my opinion.

--Carl
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Bought one for my wife. She loves it. Heck if I didn't already have a EAA Bounty Hunter I'd jump on one for a plinker. (Hers has the adjustable sights and she really likes the safety. It's not really in the way or anything and if you get use to it and want to use it, well there it is.)
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Had a couple over the years, and they are OK for what they are Decent enough plinkers, and as said before they are not a Ruger, but are accurate enough plinkers.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have the big brother by Heritage Arms - their "Big Bore" model in .45 Colt. It is a good workhorse gun...
klrhunter650
Levergunner

Post by klrhunter650 »

I had one. I liked it as a cheaper alternative to a single six. I got rid of it because I wanted a single six.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

These Heritage guns might work okay, but I've never been disappointed when I've spent more and bought a higher quality gun from one of the major manufacturers. Buy a Colt or Ruger rimfire single action and you won't be disappointed. You might have to wait longer to buy it, but you will be proud to keep it for a lot longer afterwards.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

These Heritage guns might work okay, but I've never been disappointed when I've spent more and bought a higher quality gun from one of the major manufacturers. Buy a Colt or Ruger rimfire single action and you won't be disappointed. You might have to wait longer to buy it, but you will be proud to keep it for a lot longer afterwards.
Overall I agree, but there are instances where the better gun is neither necessary nor really desired. For many years I kept a small .22 revolver in my tackle box, for a "snake gun". I had nicer guns, but the old beat up H&R .22 was perfect for the job. Would have hated to put a "good" gun in there, and while I would have liked to have a better gun, it didn't make sense to.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The frame on these is zinc alloy, you shoot 'em till they drop and then go fishing with your new fish weight. Most are good for 5-7000 rounds or so before they get too loose.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

KCSO wrote:The frame on these is zinc alloy, you shoot 'em till they drop and then go fishing with your new fish weight. Most are good for 5-7000 rounds or so before they get too loose.
Some have steel frames.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IME, save the difference and get the Ruger...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson