Email from Steep and Cheap, Subject: Hunting with Kids

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Email from Steep and Cheap, Subject: Hunting with Kids

Post by Bitmap »

How do you like this:
Today's Deals on Steep and Cheap:

Hunting is pretty cool if you're a kid. You get to dress up in rad clothes and walk around in the forest with a loaded gun. I went deer hunting two years when I was a kid, and I never shot a deer. It's crazy to be given a gun and treated like an adult when you're only 12 years old; I don't think anyone at the hunting camp would have even blinked if I'd helped myself to a couple cans of Stroh's from the 30-pack on the table. I gave up hunting when I turned 14 after firing my gun only once over two years. My problem was that I listed to music on my headphones in the hunting stand and read books while waiting for deer to walk up and eat bark off my tree--or whatever it is that deer do when they think they're alone in the forest. My uncle would pick me up in his truck for lunch, and I'd jump about a foot in pure surprise when he called up to me from the base of the tree. I'm just not cut out for the stalking aspect of hunting.

Today on SteepandCheap we have the Reef Men's Dram Sandals, Smith District II Sunglasses, and Mountainsmith Sprint Lumbar Pack.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Email from Steep and Cheap, Subject: Hunting with Kids

Post by TedH »

Sounds like he prefers to hug trees rather than use them for deer stands.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

First off, it doesn't sound like camp was a family oriented camp. Then it seems he was left to his own devices in a tree stand to sit and do whatever an uneducated hunter would do. I probably wouldn't like hunting if I was treated like that growing up. Kids need to be kids, like bust some 22 rounds off, hunt with a mentor, and, get out and do some walking. Kids don't usually have the patience to sit to long in one place. It makes it drudgery instead of exciting. He didn't stalk anything by his own account.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

kimwcook wrote:First off, it doesn't sound like camp was a family oriented camp. Then it seems he was left to his own devices in a tree stand to sit and do whatever an uneducated hunter would do. I probably wouldn't like hunting if I was treated like that growing up. Kids need to be kids, like bust some 22 rounds off, hunt with a mentor, and, get out and do some walking. Kids don't usually have the patience to sit to long in one place. It makes it drudgery instead of exciting. He didn't stalk anything by his own account.
Yep.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At least the guy MENTIONED hunting without being negative. I hate the "I killed a squirrel when I was a kid so now I am anti-gun" kind of pieces.

You DO have to hunt WITH the kid, and tailor it to their age/experience/needs. Same as anything else you do with a kid.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "