OT- Loc-Tite question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT- Loc-Tite question

Post by J Miller »

Just like on my first Marlin 1894 Cowboy the dovetailed thingy (can't remember the name right now) at the bottom of the barrel at the muzzle that the magazine tube plug screw threads into has become loose in it's dovetail. Very irritating to say the least. It's not going anywhere, but since it's loose it will just keep getting looser. Found that out with the first gun.

I don't want to fight with the forearm cap and magazine tube to take the thing apart and peen or shim or what ever that part.

There is a Loc-Tite product that you apply to the item in question after assembly and it wicks in and locks the assembly tight.

I can't think of what it's called or it's number.

Can anybody else think of it?

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had varing degrees of success using a little rubber washer so it will cinch up a bit and stay tight.......The easy release LocTite is the one you want...stage two and three are very, very hard to get to let go..... You might experience a change in the POI and if you are getting stringing with a warming barrel, it might mitigate that problem to some extent.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Loctite "red" is a pretty stout item. You would need heat to remove the part. Make sure there is not any oil there or it probably won't work. Loctite stud and bearing mount is even stronger, I believe.
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

I can't think of the name, but, it better be blue or equivalent. Red and especially green loc-tite I think would be too hard. Shouldn't be too much of a wrestling match to remove the screw, than blue loc-tite or even beeswax would give the threads enough 'suspension' to stay in place.
Molon Labe
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Red is pretty tough stuff... last resort.
Blue is the light stuff but holds decently and will come apart when you want it to...
Green is the wicking kind. Not sure how tough it is....

I would try the blue..

Paul
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have used the RED to set dovetails in tight. It is Stud and bearing mount. I have some out in the shop, can get the number if needed.
I sometimes coat dovetails with it when replacing a sight with a slot blank. I have not had to heat them to remove. If it was a threaded bolt/stud or a sleeve that is different and heat would be required to remove.
They also make a green one used to lock fasteners after they are installed. I have not had any luck with this one. Maybe the batch I had was old or bad. :?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The part that is coming loose is the dovetailed mount in the barrel. Not the mag tube plug screw.

Chuck,
I've got some RED and some degreaser. I'll give that a try if my tube of RED is still good. Otherwise I'll try the Stud and Bearing mount stuff.

Thanks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Oh, In that case the bearing set type is the one you want. It will probably seep in without disassembly enough to hold it still.
Molon Labe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

If it is loose enough to push it sideways along with the mag tube, I would use the stud and bearing mount Loc-tite and just work it into the space between the parts.
My tube of RED loc-tite IS marked Stud and Bearing mount,extra strength.

Note my new Marlin .308MX has the dovetail base for the mag tube anchor screw made with extra SLOP. They talked about this over on Marlin Owners and the Marlin factory guy there said they are made to be loose as an accuracy trick to "kinda" float the barrel.
Well, mine shoots just great and the fact that the mag can float a little just don`t bother me in the least.Can`t see how it could come out of the dovetail,it aint that loose. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck,

So then based on what you've read, and the experience with your Marlin this magazine tube anchor "slop" isn't a problem and might be a benefit?

In that case I'll keep my eyes on it and see what happens. I can always glue it down later if I need to.

I have to admit I haven't shot that rifle past 25 yards yet. And I'm not even sure I've shot it at all since early in the year. I've gotten burned out with the indoor ranges and have all but quit shooting.

Joe
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The magazine tube ring on the barrel is designed to be twisted into the cut. It is a simple matter to pull the magazine tube, twist out the ring and peen the dovetail ears back flat. When replacing the ring it should take a bit of force to twist it back. It should stay tight for a long time without any adhesive if done correctly. Do not punch it out. That is the way you do the sight dovetails, left to right looking from the receiver direction.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

All the late marlins I have seen have a regular dovetail, Winchesters had the twist in system that Gunsmith talks about.
Mr Miller. My .308 MX has the shorter 2/3rd mag tube so it cant flex very much. A cowboy with its full length mag may allow the dovetail to drift more. It is no big deal to fix though. Remove the forend cap screws,slip it foreward,remove the mag. plug screw and pull it down off its stud. Hold the end plug in against its spring tension as you pull the magazine off the stud or it can fly across the room. I would peen or center punch the bottom of the dovetailed stud ( I don`t mess with the barrel) and reset it with some loc-tite and just re assemble the gun. should be just fine.
Have fun. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Gunsmith,

We be discussin a Marlin this time, not a Winchester. No mag tube ring on this one. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Here is a pic of the rifle.

It's kind of dark on my monitor but if you look close just opposite the front sight, between the barrel and the Magazine Tube you can see the side of the Magazine Tube Stud. It is simply dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel and the Magazine Tube Plug Screw has a projection that fits into the stud when the screw is tightened into the Magazine Tube Plug.

It's the stud that has come loose in the dovetail at the bottom of the barrel. My other Marlin 1894 Cowboy did this too.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck,

What you just recommended is what I did with my original 1984 Cowboy when the stud came loose on it. The one with the 24" barrel. All except the Loc-Tite that is. It came lose again and I never could get it to stay tight.

I really didn't want to take this one apart right now. Not sure what I'm going to do today. I'll really get with it next week I think.

Joe