ruger only loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

ruger only loads

Post by two bit okie »

Does any know or have informed opinions on which, if any, new lever actions in 45 colt can take ruger only loads. Not 454 loads, just hot 45s.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: ruger only loads

Post by adirondakjack »

I think Paco's got this one dialed. The '92 action is strongest (probably sronger than a stock ruger), followed by the Marlin 1894 and winchester '94, both about equal, (and equal to the Ruger Blackhawk, IMHO) If ya stay away from the '73 and '66 type rifles with "Ruger only" loads, yer gonna be OK.
Certified gun nut
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Basically the Marlin 94, Winchester 94 and various m92 models from Browning, Rossi and Italian manufacturers.

NOT the 1860's, 1973, Henry's, etc.

I don't know about Henry Rifle Company Big Boy though.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Win 94 is stronger than the Marlin according to the tests these fellow have run.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I can't remember if it was on this forum or elsewhere, but I posed the question about brass-frame Pumas in .45 Colt, and I think the consensus was that they wouldn't hold up to 'hot' loads but the steel guns would.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

What exactly IS a "Ruger only load"? I have noticed that some loading "manuals" have sections that contain these loads for the .45-70, and then a section for "1895 Marlins", yet no mention is made of the 1886 Winchester, a mechanically superior design. My 1886s function just fine with "Ruger only loads", therefore, a Model '92 steel action will do likewise with the .45 C. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

" Loadbooks usa "Reloading manual Lists Sierra Load data for " win94ae" & " Ruger/Dan Wesson/Freedom Arms "

For the same Bullet and Powder, The 94AE Max load is listed with a Higher Charge weight:
EX: 300 Gr JSP/, W296: Ruger 20.5gr W94AE 21.5gr

NOTE: Please, above not a reloading recommendation...